Amsoil Small Engine OIl

My Dewalt pressure washer uses a Honda GX270 motor. I currently have Redline 10W30 in the sump since I assumed that the low VII content and high Zinc would be of benefit. Is there any reason to consider Amsoil's Small Engine Oil? It is supposed to contain the same high Zinc and no VII properties at a lower cost.

Thanks.

Consider any oil you want. VOA the small engine oil before making a judgement call
Cheap is always good if it does what you need it to do. Running the 10w30 Amsoil Motorcycle oil in my generator/lawntractor and mowers. It was cheap compared to some other brands but doubly $ compared to malWart oils. Napa didn't have teh small engine oil.

with the very small "sumps" in many garden machinery better oil is a smart move + REAL synthetic Ester + Pao #30 base oils meet 10W30 specs + are labeled as such

The ope has a low power out put and are low pressure engines. The issue is heat and small oil capacity . Any conventional or syn HDEO or A3/// type euro oil would be over kill and low priced and should be changed often as there is no filter.

That VOA proves exactly what I've said on here before, maybe more than once. The fascination we have for zinc in motor oil is completely unfounded. There are other additives in more modern oil blends that will accomplish the same end result. Boron, titanium, moly etc are good anti wear additives. I'll be honest with you, I thought that Amsoil was probably going with high zinc in that oil. I applaud them, (which I almost never do) for using current technology in a very robust oil. It also proves another point I've posted in the past. That you can get just as good ie robust an oil from a lot of manufacturers plain jane oil. For instance PYB would likely contain the same or very similar contents.

Never used Amsoil or Redline in my old mowers when I still used 4 stroke. But my old Tecumseh powered 1992 Craftsman mower I had for years, I always ran either a full synthetic 10w30 or or HDEO 15w40. It would cough a puff of smoke on startup, then run clean the rest of the time.

L8R,
Matt

Yeah, I agree a push mower is not the place I would get all ocd about oil, but hey, we are BITOG'ers, so who am I to call foul.
I got curious about what I had posted earlier, and looked up PP VOA, and wow!, other than a big shot of Ca, they look amazingly similar. Both syn stocks, which I'm sure there is not any real difference in as far as protection goes, GTL (ie PurePlus) vs Ester/PAO.
I'll bet you a hundred bucks, you could use either one, and .....
1) have waaaay more protection than needed
2) never know the difference between the two
3) save 1/2 the cost by using PP (and the hassle of finding Amsoil)
4) never know the difference between using either one or plain jane, (good quality) dino oil changed regularly.
I could go further, but you get the idea.
Is it good oil, heck yeah!, is it the end all, heck NO! I just don't think Amsoil is anything special in the oil world.
It's been said by many on here and it's all true, small mower engines will run almost forever with ANY oil in them. It's when they DON"T have oil in them that they start to go south quickly.

Now after saying all that, I will say that Redline is another animal, of which I'm not all that conversant on, other than having looked at a few VOA/UOA's and it looks incredibly strong for any oil. My only association with it is in my truck. If you have a Tacoma with standard trans, then you know what crappy shifting is. Redline manual trans lube cures it completely. I am a believer there. As far as the oil goes, I'd say it's probably the strongest oil made, but way overbuilt, and likely not needed, unless of course your daily driver is a blown nitro engine!

VOA will never pick up on the organic and other rust inhibitor additives, which makes the difference from automobile engine oils. Yes Amsoil price is higher, but there is a difference. And it just is not that tough to get.
All I gotta do is drive to Farm and Fleet and there's Amsoil on the shelf 😉

My Dewalt pressure washer uses a Honda GX270 motor. I currently have Redline 10W30 in the sump since I assumed that the low VII content and high Zinc would be of benefit. Is there any reason to consider Amsoil's Small Engine Oil? It is supposed to contain the same high Zinc and no VII properties at a lower cost.

Thanks.
I'm running amsoil ame heavy duty diesel and marine oil in my pressure washer.. Lots of zinc and higher tbn as it sits a lot between uses.

VOA will never pick up on the organic and other rust inhibitor additives, which makes the difference from automobile engine oils. Yes Amsoil price is higher, but there is a difference. And it just is not that tough to get.
Absolutely…that’s one of the reasons I use it. I posted the VOA of it because this oil has come up a lot in the forum and there wasn’t a VOA of it. Preferred Customer pricing isn’t bad either.

Back