Amsoil Scooter Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found some of this on closeout at Joe's going out of business sale. Anybody know if it's any good for a regular motorcycle? It's Amsoil 4-stroke synthetic scotter oil 10w-40. Says it's rated SG, SL/CF and JASO MA/MA2. Any good?

Amsoil is supposed to be great I have used it for years.. I have had no problems with it but my bike has run the same with several different oils.

Hi Pablo,
It's a 2007 Yamaha FJR, 1300cc water cooled in line four cyl. The manuel calls for 20W40 Yamalube, but I've run it on 15w40 diesel oil as well as several other oils with good results. I did an oil analysis on some Rotella T Synth and it looked good after 2k miles but with some fuel dilution.

Think this 10-40 Amsoil 10w40 scooter oil would be a good choice?

If you are picking it up at a good price I would. I am not an Amsoil fan boy but it is a good oil and meets the requirements for your bike. I wouldnt look to hard @ the winter weight because I doubt you are riding the in the snow. Also with the Amsoil I wouldnt think it would shear to bad.

Not quite as robust as the MC 10W-40, but it will be fine in your bike.

My wife hit the GI Joes in Kirkland a couple weeks ago and said it was fairly well cleaned out.

Kirkland is where they had this Scooter oil so I bought some at 40% off. I figured if it is anything like the other Amsoil products, it's some pretty good stuff!

Pablo, when you say "not as robust" what do you mean? Is there just less of some particular additive? I would think a little scooter engine is working way harder than my 1300cc motor, so if anything, I would think this would be tougher oil than most...

I don't think the base oils are the same and the MC 10W-40 has a much higher TBN, plus the HTHS is 4.5.

However the Scooter 10W-40 is no slouch. It has a high VI, good HTHS and a NOACK lower than the MC oil PLUS the 100° vis is actually higher than the MC oil. I would use it without hesitation!!

Thanks Pablo, the lower TBN isn't a problem since I usually change the bike oil at 2k anyway. All those transmission gears grinding away at the oil always worries me, plus I've got so dang much oil in my stash now targeted at that FJR it's silly! (Lucas MC oil, Delvac, RTS, Motorcraft 15w40, and now Amsoil Scooter oil!) I'm gonna have to ride this thing a long time!!!

I've always been amazed at guys who will run motorcycle oil 6k or 9k miles... if a motor chews up oil over time, how much accelerated is a five or six speed transmission going to shear it down?

Sounds like the Scooter oil will do well in my FJR! I bought enough for two changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back