Amsoil Saber Outboard 2 Stroke Oil Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe all the independant dealers should pitch in and get amsoil to certify these oils so we can clear this up, LOL

deadhorse.gif

The reason for the testing is so consumers can compare different oil companies oils and make informed decisions. When a company makes claims and doesn't back them up with standardized tests then the consumer has to take their word for it, or not, as the case may be.

Quote:

Amsoil never claims to MEET or EXCEED any of the specs so it's sort of a moot point? The verabage is:

Thats true. Amsoil took the "meets or Exceeds" portion out of their marketing spiel.
now the list all relevant specs under neath the marketing spiel in bold type to give the illusion they pass those specs.

Quote:

Saber Professional is recommended for pre-mix where ISO-L-EGD, JASO FD or API TC is specified.

I will continue to use it and my customers will continue to use it. So far no complaints. I don't think there is any false advertising here. The product simply performs.

I discovered a couple of years ago that Amsoil likes to hype their two cycle product and Imply that they meet the standard oil tests. I believe that Amsoil's two cycle oils will not pass the standard tests and that is why they choose not to test them. However that does not mean that Amsoil is bad oil, It just means that customers that are informed will most likely buy oil that does undergo the tests and PASSES those tough tests. It is far easier and cheaper to not test your oil offerings and just hype your oil to the customer (the nice word for it is Marketing).

NO, it isn't, LOOK carefully, NO WHERE DOES IT SAY: Meets these certifications. Amsoil's slick marketing only says: Recomended where the certified oil ratings are specified, You've been hoodwinked by the IMPLIED STATEMENTS and BOLD type of Amsoil's slick marketing. This why I don't care for Amsoil products, I dislike marketing HYPE. Sorry for the rant, but the consumer needs to know the truth. IMHO

Quote:

NO, it isn't, LOOK carefully, NO WHERE DOES IT SAY: Meets these certifications. Amsoil's slick marketing only says: Recomended where the certified oil ratings are specified, You've been hoodwinked by the IMPLIED STATEMENTS and BOLD type of Amsoil's slick marketing. This why I don't care for Amsoil products, I dislike marketing HYPE. Sorry for the rant, but the consumer needs to know the truth. IMHO

OK, is this an ISO-L-EGD oil???
http://www.klotzlube.com/storeProdDetails.asp?pi=25

Amsoil is not a EGD oil. Its is impossible for a oil formulated to run at 100:1 to pass some of the EGD tests which are ran at 16:1.
Klotz is a TCW3 CERTIFIED OIL and as such can not be EGD or JASO FC certified. One standard demands ashless oils(TCW3) the other demands low ash oils. From a formulation standpoint the base oils blends are also quit differant.

Quote:

Klotz is a TCW3 CERTIFIED OIL and as such can not be EGD or JASO FC certified. One standard demands ashless oils(TCW3) the other demands low ash oils. From a formulation standpoint the base oils blends are also quit differant.

I am glad you brought this forward. Now bash the heck out of Klotz please. Since it is TCW3 and they are claiming ISO-L-EGD+ (make note of the +). ISO-L-EGD+ does not even exists except in their world. They deserve an equal slappin don't you think?

Also, the only real difference between an EGD and EGC is a detergency test.

Yep, Klotz is leaky on this like amsoil, bash bash bash.

But I've never seen a klotz independent dealer trying to sell oil to my grandma at the thanksgiving dinner table? Or push $8 a quart oil on my 16yo niece that makes min wage and is trying to keep a $500 car running? Or argue that all nascar race cars are secretly running amsoil because it #1 in synthetic and is the best? Or set up a booth at the local swap meet garbed with the red white and blue and flags (as if amsoil is somehow patriotic) and dispense total untruths about oil and lubrication?

They were facts, and no my grandmother doesn't have false teeth (yet). Not meant to be a product bash or an affront to any members here, just what it's like having 2 dealers in the family. If Klotz has misrepresented their product shame on them too.

Also, the only real difference between an EGD and EGC is a detergency test.

Klotz isnt a reputable company either.
BTW its my understanding that the differance between EGC and EGD is that the tests are ran for longer periods of time. The actual bench tests are the same.

He has his reasons- free country and all that. Amsoil does not always work out so wonderful for everyone, and I respect another person's experience, even if not so great with such a well-known product. Sure people have agendas for or against certain name brands. Sometimes it's hard to determine where truth lies in all this, until you experience something personally with your own use of a product.

I tried Amsoil 100:1 back in 2000 in my 1973 115HP and 9.8HP Mercury outbord motors. I did not notice any short term benefits from using the 100:1. There wasn't less smoke or less smell.

One thing I didn't like about the 100:1 was how bad it mixed with gas. I poured the recomended amount into a clear 5 gallon fuel jug and filled it up with gas. I noticed the blue Amsoil oil was still stuck to the bottom of the jug after it was full. I had to shake it real hard several times to get it to mix. The next time I filled the jug with about 1 gallon of fuel, then poured in the Amsoil and finished filling the jug. The Amsoil had poured threw the gas and stuck on the bottom. I also had to shake the jug to get the Amsoil to mix. This was a big negative to me. For an oil to be mixed as light as 100:1, it needs to mix compleatly by the time I'm finished filling up the tank on my boat, or my outboard might seaze.

I tried the Amsoil 50:1 and it mixed like any other 2 stroke oil.

The best bang for the buck 2 stroke oil was Cabela's Semi-Synthetic. Which is also the same formula as Mercury Premium Plus. (they both had the same TC-W3 test # on the back of the bottle).

I like the smell of Klotz the best, but I dont think it worked better in my outboard.

Quote:

I tried Amsoil 100:1 back in 2000 in my 1973 115HP and 9.8HP Mercury outbord motors. I did not notice any short term benefits from using the 100:1. There wasn't less smoke or less smell.

One thing I didn't like about the 100:1 was how bad it mixed with gas. I poured the recomended amount into a clear 5 gallon fuel jug and filled it up with gas. I noticed the blue Amsoil oil was still stuck to the bottom of the jug after it was full. I had to shake it real hard several times to get it to mix. The next time I filled the jug with about 1 gallon of fuel, then poured in the Amsoil and finished filling the jug. The Amsoil had poured threw the gas and stuck on the bottom. I also had to shake the jug to get the Amsoil to mix. This was a big negative to me. For an oil to be mixed as light as 100:1, it needs to mix compleatly by the time I'm finished filling up the tank on my boat, or my outboard might seaze.

I tried the Amsoil 50:1 and it mixed like any other 2 stroke oil.

The best bang for the buck 2 stroke oil was Cabela's Semi-Synthetic. Which is also the same formula as Mercury Premium Plus. (they both had the same TC-W3 test # on the back of the bottle).

I like the smell of Klotz the best, but I dont think it worked better in my outboard.

would of been nice to take a few pictures, I have used over 500 gallons of gas with 100:1 Amsoil never had that problem. you never mentioned how many gallons of gas you ran through your 9.5 marine engine
confused.gif

Quote:

would of been nice to take a few pictures, ................ you never mentioned how many gallons of gas you ran through your 9.5 marine engine
confused.gif

Take pictures of what, the smoke or how well it mixed?

I didn't notice any more fuel milage or top end speed between Amsoil 100:1 and any other 2 stroke oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back