Amsoil S3000 5W-30 22,022 miles 2003Chevrolet s-10

Status
Not open for further replies.
s10ip1.th.jpg
[/img]
I obviously like to run Amsoil like it is supposed to be run. I am pleased with the results. I am using the Amsoil dual remote oil filtration system (BE100 + Eao26) I did have the intake gaskets replaced 20K ago. (hence the Potassium a while back) My only imperfection seems to be the Sodium. My air filter was replaced yesterday (yes it was quite dirty), but is my new gasket sealer still leatching this Sodium? I plan on running my next OCI to 23-24K and take the filters to the guaranteed limit. Any comments would be appreciated.

Low wear, exceptionally low wear for this engine looks good.

So you are running the same oil as when you replaced the intake gaskets? Let me get this right, you had a coolant escape into the oil, obviously did the right thing by fixing the leak and kept the same oil? Viscosity popped up to a SAE 40, from 11.4 cSt to 13-14 and stayed there. Pretty amazing, and obviously doesn't effect wear. The residual Na could be from this.

Quote:
I am using the Amsoil dual remote oil filtration system (BE100 + Eao26)

do you have some pics of that. have been thinking about doing that to one of mine. just curious as to where you put it.

Just to keep the info accurate - I just checked my receipts and I had the intake gaskets replaced @96K (after the 08/20/06 oil analysis) So the gaskets were replace more like 40K ago. The K dropped significantly and I was left with the Silicon high. Also my sump capacity is like 7 quarts (The BE100 and Eao26 are huge)

Originally Posted By: Xerox_Guy
Just to keep the info accurate - I just checked my receipts and I had the intake gaskets replaced @96K (after the 08/20/06 oil analysis) So the gaskets were replace more like 40K ago. The K dropped significantly and I was left with the Silicon high. Also my sump capacity is like 7 quarts (The BE100 and Eao26 are huge)

Originally Posted By: Xerox_Guy
I did have the intake gaskets replaced 20K ago.

OK Let's look at this again - so you were starting with a fresh batch of oil...indeed the 35ppm silicon although not super high for 22K miles could be elemental silicon from the silicone used with your gaskets...your solids are fairly low, and your oil filters are doing a good job but it's still possible you have a bit of unfiltered air entering. It's been relatively even since the gasket work.

I'm guessing approx $100 worth of oil and filters, and then another $120 in oil analysis cost is obviously not an inexpensive way to go 20k miles. But we can all now learn from your experimenting. I know a guy who drives his 2001 Dodge Ram 5.9 20k miles on that same oil in one year, but with no bypass. I'd like to get a sample of his oil to test. Could be interesting. BTW thank you for sharing your results here.

Got a sister there in Pensacola FL who opened a coffee shop called the Drowsy Poet Coffee Co. on Brent Ln.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
$120 in oil analysis cost is obviously not an inexpensive way to go 20k miles.

It's a little difficult to read, but he only did one UOA for this 22K miles.

The good is you are at least running a 7qt sump. I'd drop the interval down to 18k or so, just to play it safe. Viscosity is on the rise. I personally would just drop the interval down a bit.

Any makeup oil added?

Buster - read the UOA carefully (it's not very high res). Those are descrete UOA's. The make-up oil is stated, and it seems the vis. just goes to that 13-14 and stays, which I find interesting.

Ok, I see the makeup oil added (barely read it). I don't see anything wrong with the report. He's running the bypass filter which is great. I'd go 20k next time just to play it safe though. Maybe give the SSO a shot?

Please help me understand the disadvantage of the increase in the viscosity? This oil showed NO Wear difference between the 18K and 22K Oil analysis! It appears (to this untrained eye) that this oil is broken in and doing quite well. I noticed no difference in oil pressure after an oil change or gas mileage. So whats the big deal? Why run this oil less when this engine seems to show no wear after this oil gets up in mileage? With results like this, I plan on running this last oil change to 25K. Please explain any flaws in my logic.

If you do test your oil again at the end of the 25k miles, update this thread for us, if you don't mind. I would like to see the results.

Wait a minute... S3K 5w30 is HDD correct? So, its designed for diesels but can be used in gas engines too.. I am too lazy to lookup amsoil store right now.

Originally Posted By: Seth
Wait a minute... S3K 5w30 is HDD correct? So, its designed for diesels but can be used in gas engines too.. I am too lazy to lookup amsoil store right now.

Yes it is an "all fleet" product, so there's no need to keep separate oils (unless you require API SM or CJ-4 specifications).

It works well in V8 gas engines, as it can handle the contamination much better.

Xerox guy, the viscosity increase could be a sign of the oils ability to do its job. I would use OAI "Oil Analysers" an off shoot of Amsoil for your next UOA. Included in the report for Amsoil users is the OXID and NIT reading. As the oil thickens the OXID and NIT will go up. The trick is to find the average or middle point of what the oil will take and still protect.

I would say a fair limit would be:

Viscosity of about 12-13 and NIT of 40 as well as OXID of 40. These numbers are up against the limit of the oil, but will still protect the engine. As Pablo say's "Carry On" I am refreshed to see the extended OCI again, and was wondering if anything over 15 was possible anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back