Amsoil/Redline Gear Oils and LSD Additive

What has everyone's experience been with using Amsoil/Redline gear oils in applications that normally require the addition of a separate friction modifier for the LSD?

The oil blenders have said the additive is not necessary, but does this always translate to satisfactory real-world results?

I put out-of-the-bottle Red Line in my farm Dodges (late ‘90s), even when the book called for Mopar’s LSD additive. No problems.

From what a former tribologist friend tells me, it’s a Sturaco additive all the American OEMs specify. The TSBs say add in small amounts if clutch chatter happens.

FWIW, I’ve haven’t needed to use it when I serviced a friend’s Explorer. I think Ford wanted a LS 75W-140 oil in it and I used ST 75W-140 which claims limited-slip compatibility. No chatter complaints but I need to verify if it does have a limited-slip.

When using LS gear oils, I usually put in the additive but only half the recommended dosage. No problems.

I have an old 1988 IROC Camaro, it's a G80 and G92 option car which means it has the Aussie Borg Warner 9-bolt differential with 3.45 cone-type posi. I've been running Redline 75W110 in it, which supposedly has LSD additive already. I do not put in anything additional. It runs just fine.

I've used Red Line Shockproof in a GM 10 bolt with G80 diff, and it did just fine. No shudder or slip issues.

I think the big issue with the additive is people put too much in and therefore the clutches can't properly work.

I see this a lot. People will complain about doing 1 tire fire in their GM 10 bolt and think their stock G80 diff is toast. Then you find out they put Mobil 1 with LS additive and dumped an entire bottle of GM additive on top of it. Because more is better, right? :rolleyes:

Redline specifies clearly which gear oils do not have the slip additive already in them by using an NS suffix to the name. They have a 75W90NS and 75W140NS. If there's no NS on the bottle, it has the additive.

In my limited experience, all oils with additive included have too much. I know why they do this. Fortunately, for those of us interested in tuning our LSD's grip, oil without additive is available.

I see this a lot. People will complain about doing 1 tire fire in their GM 10 bolt and think their stock G80 diff is toast. Then you find out they put Mobil 1 with LS additive and dumped an entire bottle of GM additive on top of it. Because more is better, right? :rolleyes:
Had a guy at the front counter want to know if we sold the XL-3 friction modifier by the quart because his diff was wearing out and he needed that much to keep the clutches working. When I tried to explain it to him he said "you're just a parts person, get me the part." okie dokie

Redline for sure, additives not needed with the proper choice as noted above. full drivetrain redline fluids netted 3 mpg in my 11 frontier SV, used their real synthetic 75-90 in place of nissans semi-syn 75-140 as i dont use it hard, other mid blends available

Redline for sure, additives not needed with the proper choice as noted above. full drivetrain redline fluids netted 3 mpg in my 11 frontier SV, used their real synthetic 75-90 in place of nissans semi-syn 75-140 as i dont use it hard, other mid blends available
3mpg? Sure it wasn’t a seasonal change?

I have a really hard time believing that any driveline fluid change can yield that much of an improvement.

Back