Amsoil passenger car & light truck coolant

DKL

Wondering about using this coolant in everything. I've got a 2018 Honda Civic Type R; owners's manual doesn't say much about when to change coolant, but thinking probably not a bad idea soon. Also have a 2016 Subaru Outback, and 2020 Ascent and a 2018 Challenger Hellcat. Amsoil website claims it's compatible with other coolants etc. I'm interested in convenience and longevity of cooling system components. I don't care if I can get brand X for a few bucks cheaper.
TIA,
Dave

I like AMSOIL products, but I think that their coolant is way too expensive for what it is.

If you want a coolant that works in everything, then I would look at an OAT product, like PEAK Global Lifetime, PEAK Global Charge Concentrate Nitrite Free, or Shell Rotella ELC NF (Nitrite Free). These last two are heavy duty OAT coolants, so they are a bit stronger, bur will also do a better job at cleaning and keeping your system(s) clean.

I have been using Amsoil antifreeze/coolant for years ( Honda Civic ).

Original coolant system.

Over 300,000 miles on one car.

Engine hasn’t caught on fire or overheated yet ( I have Amsoil brake fluid so I can stop quick if it does ).

i direct anyone with a 6.7 PSD to amsoil coolant to keep their water/air intercooler in good shape.

I don't know anything about Amsoil AF. I do know the 18 Civic spec AF is Asian PHoat AF (Type 2). Same goes for the Subaru, Asian PHoat. Chrysler went to a no 2eha OAT AF some years ago. Reads like you're looking for one AF for all your vehicles. That being the case, my first choice would be Peak 10X concentrate. It's a long service interval OAT AF with no 2eha. Before Peak 10X, Peak Global Lifetime would have been the choice. Now though, Peak 10x has a longer service interval, much more readily available and less expensive.

Wondering about using this coolant in everything. I've got a 2018 Honda Civic Type R; owners's manual doesn't say much about when to change coolant, but thinking probably not a bad idea soon. Also have a 2016 Subaru Outback, and 2020 Ascent and a 2018 Challenger Hellcat. Amsoil website claims it's compatible with other coolants etc. I'm interested in convenience and longevity of cooling system components. I don't care if I can get brand X for a few bucks cheaper.
TIA,
Dave
It's fine to use in those cars, but get every drop of old coolant and water out first. Run straight pure H2O for a few minutes, then drain all that out.

Zero value?
As compared to others. Sure the Amsoil product has value, I am sure it works well. What I mean is "as compared to regular stuff" I see no added value in the Amsoil product. Of course if one is ordering a bunch of stuff from Amsoil, convenience is value.

So point taken, I worded it wrong.

I have used the Amsoil 100% propylene for 20yrs ish. I kind of forget the exact timeline. I started running Sierra propylene at some point, I believe early 90s. I then started using the Amsoil version which was purple. They changed the formulation to this new one ANT. I like the propylene for 2 reasons. It is less toxic to environment/animals lapping it up. The ethylene glycol had a sweet taste that could attract say the family cat. I don't know too much about all the other company’s formulations nowdays.

Chevron did testing decades back on propylene versions of antifreeze. They noted if it got into engine oil bearing damage would not occur anywhere near as bad as with ethylene glycol versions. For instance if a headgasket blew. Also truckers were using it because of EPA hazardous spill fines. I noted years ago that there formulations being marketed to trucking. I assume this is still the case.

I have used the ANT Amsoil 100% version for many years in a fair amount of vehicles. I have been very happy with it. Not cheap, but then again it lasts a long time. Compared to old non extended life antifreeze that was good for a couple of years or so in the past.
I drain my systems down, then fill with distilled water. I then run motor, drain repeat 3 times total. Then I pour in Amsoil ANT 100% antifreeze I need.
I then top off with distilled water. It would be hard to figure out how to get the correct ratio back into the system using premixed antifreeze. Hence why I use 100% mix, so I can get the amount of antifreeze I need in the system, Knowing some water remains in the system. I just divide system capacity and do a little more than 50% antifreeze. 50%-60% ish.

I do have an old big square distiller I inherited from my grandfather. I save the old gallon antifreeze jugs and fill with distilled water I make. Making the distilled water is a pain. Electricity is not cheap. I think it is like 20 cents or so for making a gallon. I did buy a vacuum fill set up for coolant change out. I have not used it. But I hope to be able to do system drains without running the motor for T stat opening etc. This should save me lots of time, not having to wait for coolant/motor to cool down. Or if in a rush, no scalding hospital visits……..

It looks oddly like Recochem coolant. Made in Canada.

Never got an answer from Amsoil if it contains 2eha and if it's an OAT, HOAT, or phOAT.

I'd go with Peak 10x honestly.

I should have clarified, I never got an answer if it was safe to use in leaded soldered brass radiators.

Back