Amsoil or Redline?

DR1

I have a 2008 Nissan Titan with 154k on her. I currently run a 2.94 Dana Rear ring and Pinion Gear straight from the factory. I will be making a change and having installed a Spicer Dana 3.69. I have always used Valvoline 75w140 but I am considering using either Amsoil Severe Gear or Redline.

I never go off road. 99% in town driving and very little interstate driving.

Thoughts, opinions , suggestion ,and on?

I use Red Line 75W-90 in my Durango, @High Performance Lubricants 75W-90 in my wife's Jeep, AMSOIL SVG 75W-90/75W-140 in my dad's RAM 1500. They all work great, they are all of high quality. If you want something blended with the latest tech, go with @High Performance Lubricants. IMHO it's BITOG's dream oil, made to perfection. Not to mention that they're a sponsor here and support this forum that we all enjoy.

I use Red Line 75W-90 in my Durango, @High Performance Lubricants 75W-90 in my wife's Jeep, AMSOIL SVG 75W-90/75W-140 in my dad's RAM 1500. They all work great, they are all of high quality. If you want something blended with the latest tech, go with @High Performance Lubricants. IMHO it's BITOG's dream oil, made to perfection. Not to mention that they're a sponsor here and support this forum that we all enjoy.
What is so special about HPL compared to Amsoil or Redline?

The racing teams that HPL sponsors use the same oil. It is a proven product beyond street applications. It's good stuff. And you can ask HPL directly, as they will be far more amenable to discussing their products than AMSOIL and RedLine.
Just a small point, more a question actually: Does HPL actually sponsor these teams? IOW, is there any financial or product assistance provided to these teams by HPL? I've understood that was not the case.

Just a small point, more a question actually: Does HPL actually sponsor these teams? IOW, is there any financial or product assistance provided to these teams by HPL? I've understood that was not the case.
You're right. I believe Mr. Ward stated that the only assistance the teams get from HPL is the lubricant itself. That fact alone speaks volumes about the quality of their products.

I have a 2008 Nissan Titan with 154k on her. I currently run a 2.94 Dana Rear ring and Pinion Gear straight from the factory. I will be making a change and having installed a Spicer Dana 3.69. I have always used Valvoline 75w140 but I am considering using either Amsoil Severe Gear or Redline.

I never go off road. 99% in town driving and very little interstate driving.

Thoughts, opinions , suggestion ,and on?
Nothing wrong with your current brand. Local stores also have Mobil1 75w140 too, along with the various automaker branded 140's. I'd only recommend a short maybe 5000-10000 mile break-in gear oil change. After that, probably not going to be much difference among any of the synth 140 grade gear oils for your application. Don't overthink it.

If you want bragging rights, or a fancy sticker, then consider Amsoil, RedLine, RoyalPuple, HPL, Torco, Synmax, MPT, or all those fancy euro brands. Might even want to throw in the prison island brands too.

Since you're in Florida, there are synthetic 80w140 and even 85w140 for those of us that believe in viscosity.

So, what limited slip are you also installing?

Nothing wrong with your current brand. Local stores also have Mobil1 75w140 too, along with the various automaker branded 140's. I'd only recommend a short maybe 5000-10000 mile break-in gear oil change. After that, probably not going to be much difference among any of the synth 140 grade gear oils for your application. Don't overthink it.

If you want bragging rights, or a fancy sticker, then consider Amsoil, RedLine, RoyalPuple, HPL, Torco, Synmax, MPT, or all those fancy euro brands. Might even want to throw in the prison island brands too.

Since you're in Florida, there are synthetic 80w140 and even 85w140 for those of us that believe in viscosity.

So, what limited slip are you also installing?
My truck didnt come with Limited slip.

Either will work fine. So will Valvoline or Mobil or Castrol. Just use synthetic.

If you regularly change diff fluid, then you are way ahead in protecting your differential, from 90% of the cars on the road, and with any of these, your diff will outlast the rest of your car.

But if you must have one of these two, I would go with Red Line. I've used their gear oil, and it's a good product.

then I'm sure it's good stuff on the street
Unfortunately, TBN retention (motor oil) is not great with Red Line, as evidenced by the many UOAs published on this forum. Other than that, their motor oil is great, and so is everything else they make.

Unfortunately, TBN retention (motor oil) is not great with Red Line, as evidenced by the many UOAs published on this forum. Other than that, their motor oil is great, and so is everything else they make.
I still will use their cvt fluid and si-1 fuel system cleaner without a doubt in my mind.

Neither...I have been using Mobil 1 since 1975 and have never had any oil related issues..plus you just go to Walmart and purchase it...

Here’s why I haven’t used redline: In this forum, many years ago, it was decided that redline was formulated for race use. It needed to meet very high performance requirements for race events, so it focused on lubricant quality, pressure and extreme heat additives. In exchange, it did not focus on the additives that help it hold up over long periods of time, oxidation, etc.. therefore, if someone is looking for longevity, I suggest using not redline.

so, between the two, amsoil. I use amsoil SVG and have done so with towing with no issues. I’ve also used valvoline and M1 synthetic gear oils. I think the only one which gave me pause was valvoline, which seemed to drain rather thin over time, when replaced, to my eye.

in the case stated, around town, not towing, anything that meets oem spec will be great. The truck has a lot of capability without a special oil. Changing it alone will be more helpful than a boutique selection. So, amsoil if you can get it, no problem with the others either.

Here’s why I haven’t used redline: In this forum, many years ago, it was decided that redline was formulated for race use. It needed to meet very high performance requirements for race events, so it focused on lubricant quality, pressure and extreme heat additives. In exchange, it did not focus on the additives that help it hold up over long periods of time, oxidation, etc.. therefore, if someone is looking for longevity, I suggest using not redline.

so, between the two, amsoil. I use amsoil SVG and have done so with towing with no issues. I’ve also used valvoline and M1 synthetic gear oils. I think the only one which gave me pause was valvoline, which seemed to drain rather thin over time, when replaced, to my eye.

in the case stated, around town, not towing, anything that meets oem spec will be great. The truck has a lot of capability without a special oil. Changing it alone will be more helpful than a boutique selection. So, amsoil if you can get it, no problem with the others either.
In 1984 I bought two Mazda GLCs and used them both extensively under severe service situations, running as many as 20 short trips per day, seven days a week. Both cars had about 200,000 miles on them when they were traded. They ran Red Line 10W-30 exclusively. The engines were in superb condition when we got rid of them. They were clean as a whistle under the valve covers, burned zero oil, and were still getting terrific gas mileage. We were running about 4,000 mile OCIs.

I know that this is but one small set of data, but the oil did a great job and I was very happy with it and the results it gave us. Literally, YMMV ...

100% correct. Regardless Amsoil and Red Line are both fine products as well.
David, I’m sure several people here will agree: the fact that your team makes truly top-tier products & responds directly to the end user is rare and commendable; the fact that you openly share positive feedback about other brands in your product space shows that you know your true customers and are confident that the quality and performance of your products speak for themselves against all challengers.

As if that wasn’t exciting enough, the new things coming down the pipe behind the scenes will really turn the tables in HPL’s favor! Thanks for bringing us along for the ride!

Back