Amsoil lubes: worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks John-

I've been dealing witha rep offboard. He's a bit of a case, though, and has sent me several emails nearly arguing abotu my choice of filters-- including lots of FUD about how the TP filter will clog my engine, etc, etc. **.

I've even told him several times I will NOT buy an Amsoil filter. His last email included lots of "yelling" via all caps and the like.

Yeah bud- just you wait for that huge Amsoil order I'm gonna make.
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif

so given that-- I'll stick with Mobil1. Unfortunately the only place to get it around here is Vatozone- while I can't stand that place, I'll deal with it long enough to stock up.

I know synth isn't necessary for my rigs-- but I like the superior protection and performance. Given that I will soon not be buying any petroleum products for fuel [I'm going biodiesel], the extra money involved should I have a leakage event on a trail won't be an issue. Also, given the skidplates I'm running [full underbody skids on the jeep and Blazer-- I'm kinda anal about protecting the underside] and my overpressure system, I should not have any worries.

quote:

Originally posted by burntkat:
{snip} I'll stick with Mobil1. Unfortunately the only place to get it around here is Vatozone- while I can't stand that place, I'll deal with it long enough to stock up.

{snip}

You don't have a Wal-Mart or TGT in your neck of the woods??? WM has a wide array, TGT less so nowadays, but both carry M1 products.

My humble opinion? If their product matches your needs they are worth it.

I think that Amsoil has quite a few good products.

-Series 3000 5W-30,
-Series 2000 0W-30,
-5W-40 European Formula
-the new air and oil filters

If you buy Amsoil in the right program, it is not overpriced...and ordering oil is often less expensive than driving to stores hoping to find the less common oils we love at bitog.

I'm not a believer in 25K / 12 month or 35K / 12 month OCI's.

Currently, I'm not interested in running bypass filters and frequent UOA's in order to run extended OCI's

But if I was looking for an oil for extended OCI then Amsoil would be my first choice.

The only Amsoil negative is the MLM dealer system which created web sites that try way too hard to make a sale, and forum meddling posts hawking Amsoil.

The positive side of Amsoil is the expert commentary from Amsoil guys like Ted [ TooSlick] and Pablo.

I place my bets on 7K to 10K OCI's with the best synthetics and filters.

We run Amsoil European Formula 5W-40 at 10K OCI's in our Golf TDI.

Redline, M1, M1 EP, Delo 400, and soon GC in our other vehicles.

[ October 16, 2005, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Thatwouldbegreat ]

German Castrol. a certain bottle of 0w-30 castrol syntec is made in germany and is an excellent oil at a decent price. It's also real synthetic, many of their other "synthetics" are actually ultra refined petro oils.

German Castrol Syntec 0w-30 that has its own forum/cult.

As for oil filters, the NAPA Gold/Wix is a good choice along with the Baldwin filter found at Truckstops. Baldwin makes Amsoil SDF filter to Amsoil's specs.

quote:

Originally posted by tom slick:
German Castrol. a certain bottle of 0w-30 castrol syntec is made in germany and is an excellent oil at a decent price. It's also real synthetic, many of their other "synthetics" are actually ultra refined petro oils.

Thanks. Not at all what I was thinking.

Where can it be had in the US?

Well Amsoil won't BUG you.New catalog and price sheets etc.every few months.Ease of BUYING.Use my charge card and can order on line or by phone.Big Brown delivers.Used Amsoil products for 5 plus years now.In everthing.Including a New Holland tractor.Ran a Chevy Caprice 252k(Amsoil installed at 82k) with 20k or so oil changes and filter every 6 months.Other then plastic timing gear failure was happy with oil performance,big differance in oil usage over dino etc.Have Amsoil front to rear in a 1998 Dodge 1500 slt,2000 Mer.Gran Marquis(4.6)took it from middle 23 mpg to 24/25 and a FEW 26 mpg's!and 2003 Dodge with Cummins 4x4 6 speed 4.10 geared 4x4.Even use the 10w30(that I use in my car/truck gas burners in my 22 h.p.garden tractor.IT runs smoother and never started so easy with 10w30 dino.Use their Tractor hyd.oil in my New Holland tractor.Front bucket,lifts and wet clutch and brakes perform smoother and quieter.just my experience with their products.

I just had ATF put in m wife's Focus. I really think it made a difference. Good stuff from most of the reviews I've read.
smile.gif

Wan, GC is not overrated. Maybe a little bit, but it is a very good oil. S2k is overrated.

just called 7 of the local Autozones looking for GC. I got the telephone equivalent of a blank, slack-jawed stare.

: sigh :

I'm NOT surprised. Tell me again why I never go to Autozone?

quote:

just called 7 of the local Autozones looking for GC. I got the telephone equivalent of a blank, slack-jawed stare.

: sigh :

I'm NOT surprised. Tell me again why I never go to Autozone?

The nice, helpful slack-jaws at AZ will have no clue what "GC" is. You have to ask for Castrol Syntec 0w30, that says made in Germany on the back of the bottle. The AZ monkeys should be able to figure out if they have any of that.
smile.gif

I didn't ask for it as "GC", but German Castrol-- she told me about Castrol Syntec...... :eyeroll:

Is 0w30 Castrol suggested for SUV engines? Say a 4.0 Jeep straight six or a 4.3L V6 Chevy engine?

quote:

....Is 0w30 Castrol suggested for SUV engines? Say a 4.0 Jeep straight six or a 4.3L V6 Chevy engine?

I've never seen 0w30 as a recommended choice in any of the SUV owners manuals that I've scanned through.

With that said, Castrol Syntec 0w30 would be a mighty fine oil in most any SUV engine.

quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wan:

quote:

dumb question-- what is GC? I keep seeing it...

A very overrated 0w-30 synthetic engine oil.
wink.gif

Mike

Check out this UOA. Yup, looks pretty over-rated to me. . .
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif
That said, the M1 did great too (arguably better, depending upon which metals you worry the most about). Considering that this engine is powering a big, heavy, high-drag SUV, I think the GC will do fine in other comparable applications.

EDIT: Ooops, forgot the original subject, my apologies for going a bit OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back