AMSOIL Introduces 15,000-Mile Ea® Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amsoil's 15k filters

AMSOIL Introduces 15,000-Mile Ea® Oil Filters
Smaller sump sizes, smaller filter sizes, engines prone to sludge and increased contaminants in engine oil present a serious challenge to filtration engineers. AMSOIL has overcome all those obstacles with its introduction of 15,000-mile Ea Oil Filters (EA15K). Featuring the same premium nanofiber synthetic media as EAO filters, there are 11 15,000-mile Ea Filters in all, including some that were previously available as 25,000-mile filters. While AMSOIL has had no issues with these filters, the engine technologies used in the vehicles to which they apply are simply too demanding on an oil filter to continue offering 25,000-mile intervals.

Also included in the group of 15,000-mile Ea Oil Filters are a number of filters (EA15K09, EA15K10, EA15K13) that were either discontinued or available only at OEM-recommended intervals due to the engine design issues outlined in AMSOIL Technical Service Bulletins FL-2009-05-01 and FL-2010-04-01. There has been a high demand for the reintroduction of these oil filters, and now annual oil and filter change intervals are once again possible for the corresponding applications.

Since they are 15,000 mile filters instead of 25,000 mile filters do they cost 10,000 miles less or are the consumers not going to think about the price? Just a marketing type question.

IIRC the price was lowered slightly about $1.25-$1.50. I think I saw it in one of the threads a while back when they were discussing problems with these filters and 25,000 mile intervals on Toyota engines.

No Thanks, i'll stick to my 5K oil changes
31.gif

I noticed that a few weeks back in their action news. I know they want the market for there now-stopped filters; but, they are stating 15,000 miles on sludge prone engines. Then they state use the OEM drain intervals.

So they want me, for example, to use this filter ($11.25)on a toyo engine prone to sludge but follow the OEM 7,500 miles..When I can get a MANN for about $3.25?????

Great they now have these filters back but the price is way too high.Stick with MANN or Pureone for OEM drains and their SSO oil.

Quote:
So they want me, for example, to use this filter ($11.25)on a toyo engine prone to sludge but follow the OEM 7,500 miles..When I can get a MANN for about $3.25?????

I think you need to read it again.
lol.gif
but that said, the $3.25 a pop changed twice would probably save you something.

It seems like with the next-generation of engines, oil change intervals will be getting shorter, not longer.

I drive an 03 Camry and have used Amsoil with annual changes for abt 3 yrs.1st yr oil analysis was good. didn't do after 2nd year. After abt 8k in the 3rd year oil light began to stay on longer when starting car. Went to Amsoil dealer store and found out abt bulletin.This car was getting abt 10k yr but now will get abt 15k. I will continue to use synthetic oil... even Amsoil...and the Amsoil filters which I think are effecient almost to a fault. But I going to semiannual changes. I just want to do the best thing for the long term durability of my cars. I don't care abt being right or promotion of a particular brand.

THe issue with these filters is they didn't have the capacity for the 25k claim... at least for my application. After 8 or 9k my filter was full to the point of affecting oil pressure. 03 Camry with 92k 4 cyl.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Smaller sump sizes, smaller filter sizes, engines prone to sludge and increased contaminants in engine oil present a serious challenge to filtration engineers....... While AMSOIL has had no issues with these filters, the engine technologies used in the vehicles to which they apply are simply too demanding on an oil filter to continue offering 25,000-mile intervals.

Other than a physically smaller filter (less area to catch contaminants), How are new engines more of a challenge? They run cleaner, have less blowby, definbately less sludge and other issues than engines made, say in the seventies where leaded gas, 12000 mile ignition points, and Group 1 oils were the norm. Whats so demanding on newer engines (short of a physically smaller filter)that would no longer allow these 'golden' filters to last as long?

Originally Posted By: 300kplus
THe issue with these filters is they didn't have the capacity for the 25k claim... at least for my application. After 8 or 9k my filter was full to the point of affecting oil pressure. 03 Camry with 92k 4 cyl.

How long was it in service? Clearly it didn't make the 15,000 mile claim either. Was it in use for a year? What were the driving conditions? Thanks

Quote:
say in the seventies where leaded gas, 12000 mile ignition points, and Group 1 oils were the norm.

Let's go back to before timed ignition why don't we? ..or dry axles smeared with bacon grease?
lol.gif

Marketing aside, I think that there was a generation of Toyota/Lexus and VW/Audi that kinda missed out on the fail proof thoughts you have about how things have perpetually gotten "better". Add to that a rash of 80's engines that were stop gaps and no longer exist ..

..but on topic, and I could surely be wrong, I think we're going to move even deeper into the throw away car and start dipping deeper and deeper into the life equity of the machines that are currently retired with the most vital and expensive component still in fully functional condition.

They sold something that didn't work. Blaming others doesn't work either IMO. My car, whatever it is, isn't a test vehicle.

There was a guy on here awhile back with an 09 Honda with loss of oil pressure and shavings in the oil, using a RP oil filter. Don't know what the outcome was, but close enough for me not to experiment with those either.

I'll stick to my proven regimen, thank you very much.

When I started to experience problems was at the 8 month/ 8 or 9k mark. This was my wife's car up until 2 months ago when she got a new camry. It got a lot of in town miles while she was driving it... probably a factor.

Thanks 300kplus- I have the flame suit on, here goes. Honestly I still don't think these filters are perfected, sorry guys. Maybe in Toyota, applications people should just follow the OM. Extended drains aren't for everyone, this is another example.

You certainly didn't go over the limit, and it states normal or severe service on their site. Maybe they should cut the severe service interval to 6 months or 7,500 miles and call it a day. JMO:

• Ea Filters designated with product code Ea15K are recommended for 15,000 miles/one year, whichever comes first, in normal or severe service.

I'm sure Amsoil sells a top shelf filter no question, i just don't feel comfortable with any filter in service for 15K let alone 25K regardless of make or model.
I'm not saying it isn't possible its just my own comfort level is a little uneasy at the prospect of my engine ending up in particles and pieces in the oil pan.

The oil filter is a very inexpensive item to change but can be unbelievably expensive if it fails.IMHO change it sooner than later and have peace of mind.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Thanks 300kplus- I have the flame suit on, here goes. Honestly I still don't think these filters are perfected, sorry guys. Maybe in Toyota, applications people should just follow the OM. Extended drains aren't for everyone, this is another example.

You certainly didn't go over the limit, and it states normal or severe service on their site. Maybe they should cut the severe service interval to 6 months or 7,500 miles and call it a day. JMO:

• Ea Filters designated with product code Ea15K are recommended for 15,000 miles/one year, whichever comes first, in normal or severe service.

No flame suit necessary - but what filter do you think 300kplus is talking about? You make it seem like he is talking about the EA15K (???)

Here he says he's driving a Toyota. I realize now he was using the 25,000 mile filter which makes the 8-9000 mile failure even worse since it was rated at 25,000 miles.

If it is one of their 25,000 mile filters then they really missed the mark. I was inadvertently giving them the benefit of the doubt. The filter didn't live up to half the expected life. He found out of the TSB after the fact, not that it would have mattered in his case.

When I started to experience problems was at the 8 month/ 8 or 9k mark. This was my wife's car up until 2 months ago when she got a new camry. It got a lot of in town miles while she was driving it... probably a factor.

I wouldn't be surprised if we hear of more cases like this with Toyota, and the smaller size filters in general. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back