Amsoil HDD 5w-30 at 46K; '05 Dmax

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is crazy. With the high pressure oil responsible for operating the injectors in the 7.3L HEUI system, just how badly has he damaged them? Oil is cheap, new stock injectors are $2000.

Originally Posted By: chris1978
He is crazy. With the high pressure oil responsible for operating the injectors in the 7.3L HEUI system, just how badly has he damaged them? Oil is cheap, new stock injectors are $2000.
?

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
Originally Posted By: ihookem1
Dieseltech, outrun has some good points. I would like to know just how clean my engine is. How are the engines when you tear it apart? Every story I ever heard was the engine was very clean with Amsoil. I am not too nervous about it but you have a point, how well does oil clean when it's this old?

Hookem, These guys that are running the extreme intervals all haul cars for a large auto auction out here. I have only had the chance to pull a head on 1 of them and it was EXTREMELY clean. We installed oilguard systems on each truck and use EAO filters on them.

I have another customer with an 97 PSD that has gone 70K on his and he has a moving company that hauls across the US. Extended intervals on PSD are not something I reccomend but the truck now has 675K on it with only 1 set of injectors being swaped at 380k. We installed an amsoil system on it running EAO26 and EABP100. I use ALOT of synthetic oil as it's the only option in my shop. I am VERY impressed with AME,HDD, and redline products. Most of my customers are highend either performance or people that use their rigs to put food on their tables.

Most of my normal daily driven customer practice 10k OCI, and most tuned 6.0 still have great UOA after 10k with either line of products.
Would you say that those engines are operated under ideal conditions? "long hours at operating temps. Over the road use is the ideal operating conditions"

Yes Chris1978, he is crazy but the engine still runs great and I don't think it uses much oil for 150k on it. But yes he is crazy. My only point is is how long good synthetics last and we can go much longer between oil changes. What is the real truth? I don't know but I think it's a lot longer than what we have been told. Sometimes I wonder if people just like to change oil.

The point is the oil test says it's still good oil and the engine is still tight and doesn't burn oil. The question is,,,, how long can you really go between oil changes? I have a feeling a long long time. Some seem bothered because we would have to admit all these years we have been fooled into thinking "it's cheap insurance" when it isn't so cheap after all. The oil sample says it's still good oil with enough additives to keep the oil to do it's job. So, how long does oil last is the question. With good syn. oil and good oil AND air filters tells me we only really have to change oil about half a dozen times for the life of the engine. Time will tell. I will be back on this sight every now and again to tell you all how long my diesel motor lasts when changing oil when the oil samples tell me to. I already have 126k on my Duramax. Yes, I know it's not much but the body already has tell tale signs the body won't outlast the engine anyway.

I know I'm on to something. We change oil like we are doing the engine a favor or we do it to make us feel good. I used to change every 3k, even with Mobil 1. Then syn. got real popular and remember my uncle changing Mobil 1 every 25 k when it first came out. You know what, that Ford 6 cyl lasted a really long time. Now a days oil is twice as good. Better additives, better refined, cleaner and whatever. If 25k oil changes made a Ford 300 6 cyl last 150 k mi. 28 yrs. ago it can go 46 k today, plain and simple. Some things we don't talk about enough though. We talk all the time about oil filters and hardly mention air filter quality for some reason. If anyone doesn't believe me just scroll down to the oil filter sight, then scroll down to air filters and you will notice 5 viewers to 1 in favor of oil filters. Air filters are just as important when it comes to clean oil.

Way to be a rebel, ihookem1. It never ceases to amaze me that even after good results with analytical laboratory testing, some still refuse to acknowledge one of the key benefits of using a “quality” synthetic motor oil; the Extended Drain Interval.

I also like how you make the distention that motor oil service life is affected by how efficient the air and oil filters perform.

As for myself, I’m about ready to see how well I can duplicate the George Morrison real world oil filter comparison as previously seen HERE

A good air filter sure makes the engine last longer. When I was a kid we had a 72 cutlas with a real dirty air filter. It ran ok but thought it would run better without it cause it was so dirty. The car lasted 100 mi. after the air filter was out. I'm sure a good air filter is as important as a good oil filter. I could be wrong but we are much more interested in oil and oil filters then air filters. Not that I care.

I could be wrong but we are much more interested in oil and oil filters then air filters. Not that I care.

I think that if we are talking specifically about Extended Drain Intervals into the 15k or longer realm, the motor oil, oil filter, and air filter are dependent on one another for complete success of the longer drain interval. Keeping the oil clean is of course part of the extended drain equation.

I mean, we wouldn’t use a cotton gauze or foam air filter and “orange” oil filter if we planned on doing an extended drain would we?

I don't think so. I am surprised at how well the Amsoil oil filter caught dirt compared to the other filter. I don't know much about those types of air filters. I went with an Amsoil air filter but might just go back to Napa or wix. I hear a lot about the "orange filters. For 4 bucks I just don't see how they can be all that good.

Original poster, I changed oil about 11 months ago and put 22k on my Amsoil 3000 series 5w30 diesel oil. The numbers look real good especially for 22k on the oil with 145k on the engine.

iron 44 ( a little higher than last 3 samples)
chronium 0
nickel 0
alum 2
copper 20
lead 4
silicon 13
sodium 13
potassium 8
boron 0
magnesium 12
calcium 3266
phosforus 1125
zink 1314
fuel 1%
soot .1
visc. 11.6
tbn 7.91
oxidation 40
nitrate 21
The engine used 1 qt. make up oil and was about 1qt low when sample was taken. The engine is strong with 145k and burns almost no oil. I used an Amsoil air and oil filter.

Last edited:
Thanks Addyguy, you know this is just an experiment to some degree on how often do you NEED to change your oil. At first it was very hard to trust science, but now that I have 145k on it and is still not showing any real signs of wear I feel much more at ease going with extended drains. I will report back in about 8 or 10 months with an oil sample of oil with 40k mi. on it.

O.P. here again. I have 164k on my truck now and just changed the oil again. It had 39k when the test went in. The UOA said everything was fine except it had an oxidation of 58. It was high but not critical.
iron 51
alum 7
copper 20
lead 7
tin 3
silicon 12
sodium 6
potasium 5
moly 4
soot.1%
water .1%
viscosity 11.2
tbn 4.8
oxidation 58
nitration 26
additives were good so it did not get tagged.
The truck runs good and burns about a qt. per 6k mi.

Originally Posted By: CompSyn
I could be wrong but we are much more interested in oil and oil filters then air filters. Not that I care.

I think that if we are talking specifically about Extended Drain Intervals into the 15k or longer realm, the motor oil, oil filter, and air filter are dependent on one another for complete success of the longer drain interval. Keeping the oil clean is of course part of the extended drain equation.

I mean, we wouldn’t use a cotton gauze or foam air filter and “orange” oil filter if we planned on doing an extended drain would we?
Amsoil used to offer a foam filter,oil and oil filter and bypass filter in what they called Tri Guard extended oil change interval plan.

You guys are full of it. In long haul service 30,000 mile intervals on conventional oil is pretty much the standard OCI on large trucks. 60,000 miles on conventional is pretty common for fleets with UOA.

The only issue I see here is the smallish sump capacity per mpg. Thats the reason he cant go 100,000 miles on synthetic like the big trucks.

Originally Posted By: chris1978

Well the ones in a CAT are still good at 1.5 million miles with 30,000 mile changes on conventional oil.

Maybe the Amsoil isnt as good as conventional?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back