Amsoil Euro 5W-40, 5,000 miles, 2010 VW GTI

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was posted by a member of another forum I visit. The report looks pretty good. The viscosity did take a hit from 13.7 @100c to 10.61 @100c in 5K though.

E66271.jpg

5 quarts of make up oil on a 26k motor, and the TBN and viscosity are THAT weak?

Also, for only 5k, Fe is too high for my liking.

Not a good report, I'd say!

I didn't see the makeup oil. I would assume it was .5 quarts? This oil is low SAP. I wouldn't use it in my GTI.

My last 5K OCI I showed 19 iron. I had 16,470 miles on my car. The iron is a little high. Maybe it will go down if he switched back to a mid SAP oil?

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
I didn't see the makeup oil. I would assume it was .5 quarts? This oil is low SAP. I wouldn't use it in my GTI.

Given the number of GTIs in Europe running mid-SAPS 502.00/505.01 and low-SAPS 504.00/507.00 oils following the OLM, it really should not be an issue.

Not sure why, but in the US we seem to have more engine problems than in Europe. Cam issues on the PD TDIs, issues with the DI sparkers...

Originally Posted By: Artem
Maybe he burns a quart every 1,000 miles
grin2.gif

Sounds about "normal" according to a VW dealer here I called once.

Originally Posted By: BobFout

Given the number of GTIs in Europe running mid-SAPS 502.00/505.01 and low-SAPS 504.00/507.00 oils following the OLM, it really should not be an issue.

Not sure why, but in the US we seem to have more engine problems than in Europe. Cam issues on the PD TDIs, issues with the DI sparkers...

The VW's in Europe run lean burn stratified charge mode. Our cars in the US can't do this because of the high sulfur in our gas. That's why we are still running 502 oils and not 504 oils.

Originally Posted By: BobFout

The VW's in Europe run lean burn stratified charge mode. Our cars in the US can't do this because of the high sulfur in our gas. That's why we are still running 502 oils and not 504 oils.

This. Low SAP oils aren't approved for extended drains in the US.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
5 quarts of make up oil on a 26k motor, and the TBN and viscosity are THAT weak?

Also, for only 5k, Fe is too high for my liking.

Not a good report, I'd say!

No, that's likely total fill. Fe is close to standard for some GTI under 50K.

AFL is a low SAPS oil, it's not a long drain oil. It shears like most XW-40's in the same category.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back