Amsoil EA filter pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could show you a photo of my EA air filter, but I got a box from Amsoil yesterday and the only thing missing was the back-ordered EA air filter.

I like pics 4,5,6 the best...the neighbor's Boston Terror is in the room and looking at me as I write this. #7 is all yours.

Do we know who is making these filters for Amsoil? In the past, the air and bypass filters were made by another company owned by Smilin' Al. The full flow oil filters are made by Clarcor, who also makes Baldwin & Hastings.

Ken

Its rumored to be Wix but the same filter will not be available from Wix.

quote:

Our new Ea Air Filters represent a breakthrough in
automotive air filtration and that is no exaggeration.
We have been working on them and testing
them for over two years. The space age nanofiber
technology has been proven to provide superior
performance in military and industrial applications.
We bring you this amazing technology in a filter
built to our exact specifications by a major air filter
manufacturer.

[ October 19, 2005, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
I like pics 4,5,6 the best...the neighbor's Boston Terror is in the room and looking at me as I write this. #7 is all yours.

Do we know who is making these filters for Amsoil? In the past, the air and bypass filters were made by another company owned by Smilin' Al. The full flow oil filters are made by Clarcor, who also makes Baldwin & Hastings.

Ken

grin.gif

Didn't realize other pics would be able to be seen.
BTW
We have another Boston Terrier coming.
She's only 4 weeks old.
We have to wait another 4 weeks.
Great loyal,happy,playful dogs.
We've had two Great Danes but they only live 7-8 years.
Can't take that heartbreak.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/joebon/Chinaspuppiesoutside028.jpg

I received my Amsoil #Eaa121 Nanofiber air filter today and installed it this evening. This filter is the AC Delco A1518C equivalent for Silverado's and Sierra's.

It looks like the Napa Gold (WIX) 2488 with the same (84) pleat count and orange seal, with the exception of the blue filtering media as photo'd above. I'd say these Ea filters are probably manufactured by WIX.

BTW- Amsoil had the filter in stock and was shipped/received in one week, Wisconsin to California.

Bowser

quote:

Originally posted by schild:
I could show you a photo of my EA air filter, but I got a box from Amsoil yesterday and the only thing missing was the back-ordered EA air filter.

Mine was backordered also.
Took two weeks and it was delivered.

I changed the filters and the EA filter seemed to have a bit thicker pleats.
Didn't count them so don't know if there's more or less pleat with the EA.

Colt, thanks for the pictures.
cheers.gif

All I have to say that it doesn't look like a $40 filter to me.
Even more, it seems to be rather cheaply made for the price.
The media itself doesn't look encouraging. The pleats are thin and unevenly spaced.

Compare it to a $5 made in England STP.

Of course I will admit that it is not necessarily an indication of its filtering ability.
But still the looks of it don't make me want to go out and buy it right away.

quote:

Originally posted by Colt:

Didn't realize other pics would be able to be seen.

From the log-in page go to "Account Options".
In the "Album Options" field select "No" in "Make Public".
It should fix that.

[ October 20, 2005, 02:28 AM: Message edited by: vad ]

quote:

The media itself doesn't look encouraging. The pleats are thin and unevenly spaced.

Looks can be deceiving!

Nanofiber Filter Media

* Traps sub-micron size particles on the nanofiber surface
Prevents particles from lodging in the filter media depth

I wish they had a model for my CTS...

The surface of the media is cover with a layer of the Nano-fibers so its what you don't see that it the heart of the filter.

-

quote:

Originally posted by vad:
Colt, thanks for the pictures.
cheers.gif

Compare it to a $5 made in England STP.

Of course I will admit that it is not necessarily an indication of its filtering ability.
But still the looks of it don't make me want to go out and buy it right away.

I have to agree.

In my latest "Powder and Bulk Engineering" magazine there are a lot of ads by Donaldson touting their nanofiber cartridge filters (for industrial dust collectors). They provide some testing data. These filters are automatically cleaned a few times every hour by pulsing high pressure air in reverse flow, so they need to be pretty durable. Note that the media is blue, seems like too much of a coincedence compared to the the photos of the Ea filter in the other thread. I think this is definately a case where you cannot tell the quality of the media just by looking at it.

Donaldson "Ultra-Web" Filter info - Father of the Amsoil Ea

The cost does not seem that bad to me. Considering many bitogers dont hesitate to spend and extra $20 every 5k miles to use synthetic oil that gives marginal benefits. Here you need to spend an extra $20 every 30k and you can be pretty confident that you will be reducing the amount of particulates entering your engine. Hmmm..

I think it is great that Amsoil has taken technology developed for the industrial market and packaged it for use in our automobiles. A lot better than that "Spin Flow" crop that Wix is touting.

BTW I think STP filters are crop. Have you compared one next to a Fram? STP media is paper thin.

quote:

Originally posted by Winston:
BTW I think STP filters are crop. Have you compared one next to a Fram? STP media is paper thin.

How many of those did you look at?
I've compared dozens.
And the quality was almost always similar or better than Fram, especially for the Japanese cars, where STP faired MUCH better.

quote:

Originally posted by Winston:
The cost does not seem that bad to me. Considering many bitogers dont hesitate to spend and extra $20 every 5k miles to use synthetic oil that gives marginal benefits. Here you need to spend an extra $20 every 30k and you can be pretty confident that you will be reducing the amount of particulates entering your engine. Hmmm..

So synthetic oil provides marginal benefits and the still unproven and seems like a grossly overpriced air filter will make a difference???
I don't buy that logic.
The most of us don't have to change air filters every 30K miles. More like 40-60K on the old school $5-15 media.
The paper media filters and flows just fine in the non-racing applications.
I will have to wait for the efficiency comparisons to get the real world info and not just hype on the new media filtration abilities.

It better be MUCH MUCH better at $40 a pop.

Do you think the Amsoil filter is approaching the quality of an AC Delco? If it's as good as the AC Delco, that would make it a pretty good filter. But, is it worth the price difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back