Amsoil ATL vs Toyota WS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for people whom Have experience replacing Toyota WS atf with Amsoil ATL. I'm curious about shift quality and durability of the ATL and if its actually a suitable replacement for the factory sauce. Thanks!

I flushed and refilled a 2001 Echo about 4 years ago with no issues. Amsoil atf is excellent. I have flushed and refilled my Allison tranny as well. Allison uses a different formula than the Echo. I am all Amsoil.

Was thinking about this too but given how complex the sealed ("lifetime") tranny fluid change is and the fact that the WS works so well, I'll stick with it. If it was something I could do myself, I'd try it.

HK_ace- Its really not that bad. I did a full write up on it a while back.

Hate2work- Yes the D6 is no longer recommended by redline. They are saying D4. Personally I want to stick with a low visc atf.

AZFireGuy79,
I replaced the factory ATF-WS in my 2006 Tundra at about 63,000 miles, roughly 12,000 miles ago. I do not notice any change in shift quality or operation at all from the factory fill. Just another data point.

I'm going to assume you used the ATL? Another thing I have to consider in all of this is will there be much benefit to switching. The ws is about $100 for a case(12 quarts) from my local Toyota dealer. The ATL is only a little more.

HK_Ace:

I'm curious as to how you know the WS "works so well" in your particular tranny?

AzFireGuy79,
Yes - I replaced it with Amsoil ATL - In fact, I flushed it to get as much of the factory fill out as I could - went through over five gallons of ATL doing this!

Originally Posted By: btanchors
AzFireGuy79,
Yes - I replaced it with Amsoil ATL - In fact, I flushed it to get as much of the factory fill out as I could - went through over five gallons of ATL doing this!

Are you out of your mind -- 5G of ATL ($200 bucks to flush).?

$200 if pretty much what a dealer would charge. And, dealer wouldn't be that overly 'thorough'.

Its not really a waste of ATF and he's not 'out of his mind'.... yet!!!

In a transmission that hold 3+ gallons, ~5 gallons is a reasonable flush amount. 3 gallons for the machine, ~1 gallon for an initial drain/refill... I know that I could put 5 gallons of 'any' ATF through many transmissions when I get 'OCD' about it.

3 gallons is good for an economy car. Bigger transmission need more pushed through it to get a higher percentage of new ATF.

FYI:

From AMSOIL TSB DT-2009-01, 1/12/10

>>Certain Toyota applications require use of the Toyota
Transmission Fill System to accurately complete transmission
fluid changes. Aftermarket transmission shops and
at-home mechanics neglecting to use the Toyota-specific
Transmission Fill System may under-fill the transmission,
which may lead to erratic shift patterns or catastrophic failure of the system. Consumers changing their Toyota WS
fluid to AMSOIL Synthetic Fuel Efficient ATF are advised
to ensure the fluid flush is completed using the Toyota
Transmission Fill System.<<

Hmmmm. Good info. Wonder how much this said "fill system" costs? Knowing Toyota, its most likely a small fortune. I Just measure the amount removed and pump in the same amount. Hard to mess That up! I'm not paying those thieves 180 to check My transmission fluid level.

Thanks for the information never the less. Maybe I'll get lucky When my gas pedal sticks and my transmission will blow from my underfilling! Tragedy averted.lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: **** in Falls Church
FYI:

From AMSOIL TSB DT-2009-01, 1/12/10

>>Certain Toyota applications require use of the Toyota
Transmission Fill System to accurately complete transmission
fluid changes. Aftermarket transmission shops and
at-home mechanics neglecting to use the Toyota-specific
Transmission Fill System may under-fill the transmission,
which may lead to erratic shift patterns or catastrophic failure of the system. Consumers changing their Toyota WS
fluid to AMSOIL Synthetic Fuel Efficient ATF are advised
to ensure the fluid flush is completed using the Toyota
Transmission Fill System.div>

I wonder which applications
54.gif
The fill procedure, while tedious and annoying isn't all that hard.

I have Amsoil ATL in my 07 4Runner for almost 40k (so far) and I haven't noted anything out of the ordinary.

I do tow some and when I removed the OE WS @ 45k I was disappointed. The color was almost pure brown (I know... That means very little) but the smell was pure burnt!

I did the fluid level check procedure a couple of weeks ago and the ATL still looks and smells good.

I'm not suggesting you avoid WS I'm just saying the ATL seems to be a good alternative.
34.gif

Last edited:
I didn't get back quick enough to edit these in...

In addition to hate2work's great "how-to" link I thought I'd add these:
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/maintenanc...non-sealed.html

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/53168-ws-transmission-fluid-stands.html

http://www.lcool.org/technical/100_series/auto_fluid/auto.htm

To anyone who's DIYing it I would add to the procedure in the 3rd link by emphasizing the need to cycle the transmission through the gears prior to doing the final fluid level check. I have found you may get the proper 'full' indication when the trans isn't full. A quick cycling through the gears ensures that the fluid level check will be accurate.

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Hmmmm. Good info. Wonder how much this said "fill system" costs? Knowing Toyota, its most likely a small fortune. I Just measure the amount removed and pump in the same amount. Hard to mess That up! I'm not paying those thieves 180 to check My transmission fluid level.

Thanks for the information never the less. Maybe I'll get lucky When my gas pedal sticks and my transmission will blow from my underfilling! Tragedy averted.lol

Based on what I saw about my IS, it is a shift pattern that trigger the transmission's temp sensor to indicate the fluid temperature, so that you will drain / fill the fluid at the exact temperature and exact volume.

Cost nothing but your time.

Yeah last time I drained it I let it cool off and measure what came out. Replaced that exact amount(which toyota usually underfills!)and life was gravy. Next time I am going to use a IR gun and check the level at 104 degrees. I think i'm going to stay with WS for the IS as its still under warranty and I plan to change the ATF every 15K or so.

What was the reason Redline changed their recommendation to D4?
I flushed 16 qts D6 thru my taco about 1.5yr/20k miles ago and it has worked flawlessy, including some light towing.

Dave stated that the D6 isnt as good for the clutch packs as the D4 when I last spoke with him. Didn't say anything bad would happen, just that D4 works better. I tend to want to stay with a low viscosity atf regardless. From what I have seen in my vehicles, WS shouldn't be run for more than 20k miles. It seems weak like most OEM fluids. I liked that Redline offered an alternative as Im a big redline oil fan and 16 year user. But now looks like Im left with going back to WS or trying Amsoil ATL. The ATL looks good and I like amsoils products, so not really a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back