Magnesium 783
Calcium 1900
Barium 0
Phosphorus 1054
Zinc 1344
Molybdenum 2
Titanium/Vanadium/Potassium all 0

Oil is suitable for continued use.

This is my father's truck. He has recently started towing a 6000# travel trailer on occasion. We have been using AMSOIL ASL 5W-30 in this truck the last three years. No makeup oil used.

Comments? Recommendations?

Results are fine and the oil has degraded very little...

I'd go to a fixed 7500 mile, oil/filter change interval, due to the heavy towing. That should still be conservative.

Note the small amount of sodium - salt spray - from living in a coastal area. This also showed up in your other analysis.

Ted

Since you have been using Amsoil the report is as expected no surprises. With the the towing I may have ran it 5000 and checked it after all continued use with Amsoil should give you better results. I have several gallons of the 5/30 I may put them to use soon thanks for the report.
grin.gif

I should clarify it was not changed, just sampled. This was the first time testing his oil and he was anxious so I told him he could test after at least 3K miles were on it.

What else could the sodium be from because he lives in Lou KY?

quote:

Originally posted by thedawk:

Oxid 8.0
Nitration 12.0

I'm not very good at interpreting the numbers on these reports, but from this info, isn't the oxid and nitration a bit high for only 3100 miles?

No. That's percentage, not PPM like the other numbers.

Visc @100c 11.93
TBN 7.37
Oxid 8.0
Nitration 12.0
Fuel less than 1.0%
Water 0
Glycol Neg

I'm not very good at interpreting the numbers on these reports, but from this info, isn't the oxid and nitration a bit high for only 3100 miles?

I'd run the Series 3000, 5w-30 in all V-8 applications and NOT the regular 5w-30....

The "HDD" formulation is simply able to handle lots more contamination than ASL or ATM and it stays in grade better over very long service intervals....

Ted

"I'm not very good at interpreting the numbers on these reports, but from this info, isn't the oxid and nitration a bit high for only 3100 miles? "

With Amsoil, your going to see high oxidation and viscosity change, but good wear. It's simply the nature of the beast. In time, if they start incorporating this new technlogy from their MC oils into the car oils, which they are, this should hopefully improve. TS's recommendation for the S3k is a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back