Amsoil and Quality Control

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what Amsoil or other oil companies use in their filling operations but it's probably a matter of how often they calibrate the weight transducers on the filler,even then you can have variations of different batches,speed of fill etc.I know we get a lot of variations on our syrup and oil's lines but we have to keep them within exceptable limits or QC will want to shut them down,and when that happens maintenance get's
twak.gif

I find that the capacities of my Japanese vehicles are overestimated. Eg both say 3.7L however I only need about 3.2L to get it on the full mark, including a quick engine run to prime the oil lines and filter... food for thought hey!

Also all containers are slightly overfilled. Not just oil, but juice, food and everything. Because if they get caught not selling the advertised weight/vol they can get in alot of trouble!

[ June 21, 2003, 03:00 AM: Message edited by: Leo ]

quote:

new filter on. poor 6 quarts in and and what do I behold im almost 3/4 of a quart TOO full.

Your oil filter is empty. Start the engine for about 5 minutes, shut down and check the level in about 2-3 hours or so.

Bob: I ALWAYS do what you say - pull out the dipstick, wipe it off, re-insert and re-check the level. I never take that first reading. I don't think many ppl do take that first reading.

My Ford 4.6 and 5.4s have little O-rings on the base of the dipstick handle.

Anyhow, my owner's manual for the 4.6 says it takes 5 qt + filter, for the 5.4 its 6 qt + filter.

I need about 0.25 to 0.5 qt more to reach the MAX or FULL mark on the dipstick. But the way i see it, less oil means less excess oil clinging to the crankshaft. Am I right?

quote:

new filter on. poor 6 quarts in and and what do I behold im almost 3/4 of a quart TOO full.

Your oil filter is empty. Start the engine for about 5 minutes, shut down and check the level in about 2-3 hours or so.
[/QUOTE]

This is what it read to me upon looking at the post.

Using Amsoil for 10 years, never had one bottle overfilled or under filled. Now, with the see thought side indicator it is pretty easy to tell if you have the full quart/gal. Not so years ago

What do you trust? They owners manual that says 6 qts, the oil you poured in that said 6 qts or the dipstick that says over full? Me I don't trust the dipstick if I know I took out 6 qts, 6 are going back in no matter if the dipstick says it over full.

Several things could have happened here.

1. You did not get all the old oil drained out, maybe you were up on a car ramp and with the engine not level, some oil got trapped inside the engine.

2. The dipstick in not accurate. I have seen this before. Had a Ford F150 at work that showed full with 5 qts but the owners manual and the Ford dealer said 6 qts with filter. Had the wrong dipstick in there, weather done at the factory or when some jokers servicing it put in one from a car which is same but shows full in 5 qts.

3. Like was said, you are not checking it properly.

If they are overfilling the bottles, they are losing money and you can be darn sure thats one thing they must watch like a hawk. If th bottles were overfull, you would have seen oil gushing out when you grabbed hold of the plastic to pour.

I should have been more clear on that point. I ALWAYS start the motors to check for leaks and watch for correct pressure. Always.
nono.gif

My vote is for the dipstick or he didn't start the engine to get the oil filter filled up.

In my 2003 E-250 w/ the 5.4L SOHC V8, it takes 6 qt and if you pour in 6 qt + a new filter but DON'T start it, it will read OVER the FULL mark.

Start it up, let it idle for 5 minutes or so and shut off, wait about an hour and re-check.

On my 5.4, it shows about 1/4" shy of the full mark. In my experience, Ford dipsticks (except for the 300 I6) aren't accurate but they tell you to NOT ADD OIL if its between the 2 marks.

I'm going to vote that that issue is the dipstick or oil still "clinging" or stuck in the engine somewhere (say an oil cooler, for example). I was taught (on the first couple of changes anways) to fill around 3/4 to a quart under the "listed capacity" and check where that puts you. If it reads full, then start her up and recheck after shutdown. If she needs more, then top it off. Always worked like a charm.

I wouldn't blindly assume the 6qts capacity to automatically mean I should just fill it with that much. I've seen to much variability to assume that. My Jeep says capacity is 6 qts, but 5.5 qts always brings it to the full mark on the dipstick. My two F150s say 6 qts capacity, one takes exactly six, the other takes 6.5 qts a change. Go figure...
dunno.gif

ALL of my Ford engines have dipsticks that require about 0.25 - 0.5 qt more to reach the full mark, EXCEPT for the 300 I6, and the manual clearly states to fill it ABOVE the full mark!

What oil filter are you using? I don't think it makes a 3/4 quart difference but it can make a difference if you use a smaller oil filter.

The oil cooler could have something to do with it. Also I'm just using hte SDF-42 Amsoil. The truck does have the "heavy duty cooling" on the truck. It was just a matter of over filled bottles and me being complascent and not paying attention. I drained about 4 good seconds out all total and not its perfect. NExt time ill play more attention to the bottles and keep some for top offs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back