Amsoil ACD = Volvo Penta SAE 30 Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted this in the Boating Forum also, but thought it might get a few more eyes looking at the post !

Hope one of the Amsoil reps. could shed some light on this.

I downloaded both MSDS sheets and the specs. are identical.

Does anyone know if Amsoil makes the oil for Volvo Penta and Volvo Penta re-packages it?

Appreciate the time!

I don't have a link, but this is what I find very interesting.

- Product Names For Both on MSDS are identical.
- Flash Point of 446F for both oils.
- Freezing Point is -33 for both oils.
- Viscosity of 66.3 @ 40C for both oils.

This is all that I have to go by for now. Just find it tooooo amazing that the specs are identical. I feel that if the oil was made by someone else besides Amsoil, the specs wouldn't be that close.

I'm trying to get more info on the Volvo Oil.

I will post a full data sheet IF/WHEN I ever get one from VP. They haven't responded yet.

It looks like the WCT is thicker than ACD, but both look like excellent oil. I see that the WCF is a replacement for the Merc. 25w-40. WCF blows that oil out of the water.

Will post anything that I find out.

PETE643, how long have you ran the WCF?

The two are similar, in fact the base oils are very much the same.

The additive packages are different – just look at the TBN’s.

ACD is very much a diesel oil with all the soot handling detergents and very stout AW package, however it is a dual rated oil that works well in gasoline engines. It may not be the best for a high revving gasoline engine with frequent speed changes.

WCF is a gasoline oil with a good AW package and extra anti-oxidants and corrosion inhibitors. I wouldn’t use it in a diesel engine, it does have FM’s for high rpms.

I posted this on the Boat Section, but no response.

What about using the Series 2000 20w-50 for marine application? Amsoil said it would work, but may not be the best choice.

Chevsubfan,

This is my second season using WCF, the boat and engine were new last year. I really like the oil, I think Amsoil makes a great product that does an outstanding job in the marine environment.

Going by what Pablo said, I'll continue using WCF, though I'm sure ACD would work very well as well.

Here is the deal.

Volvo used to put it in the V6's until the beancounters caught on and stopped it. They do sell it repackaged as the DuraPlus 30wt oil. They are also testing another AMSOIL 10w-30 GF-4 product right now but I am not at liberty to speak of it much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back