Amsoil 5w40 DEO vs 5w40AFL Differences? ZDDP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what the real world differences between the DEO and AFL? AFL is the European car formula and DEO is a diesel oil. It looks like DEO is thicker and has more additives. Also if anyone has any info on ZDDP levels that would be helpful. Im looking for a universal replacement for my V8s with flat tappet cams. I run Rotella T6 now but its getting hard to find and the price point isn't what it used to be. Not to mention the recent reduction of ZDDP.
Thanks

DEO
AFL

Recent reduction in ZDDP? T6 is CJ-4 like the previous RTS was since 2007.

Here's a post with info about ACEA C3 (AFL) and CJ-4 (DEO) and additive levels:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3213408&postcount=1414

If you want a T6 replacement, of those two, DEO is what you want.

Amsoil AMO 10w40 would be a good one to look into too. Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 also. Or any other truck 5w40...

Redline, Royal Purple, Schaeffers too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OffOrWFO
Does anyone know what the real world differences between the DEO and AFL? AFL is the European car formula and DEO is a diesel oil. It looks like DEO is thicker and has more additives. Also if anyone has any info on ZDDP levels that would be helpful. Im looking for a universal replacement for my V8s with flat tappet cams. I run Rotella T6 now but its getting hard to find and the price point isn't what it used to be. Not to mention the recent reduction of ZDDP.
Thanks

Bob smacked a Christmas homer. Home run, not Homer Depot.

The answer is neither AFL or DEO is what you want if you are looking for an increased ZDDP oil. If you want a 40, AMO 10W-40 would indeed serve you quite well:

Amsoil AMO 10W-40

I have other suggestions as well in 30 and 40 range.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Oh ya Pabs, HDD 5w30! DME and AME probably too depending...

True..The HDD5w30 is the middle of the road on price. The 10w-40 is the same as the new 5w-40, why bother at that point...There new AFL is out there on the price for 5 qts...

I still would love to see a test with all their diesel oils...and there VOA.

Originally Posted By: snowmaker

True..The HDD5w30 is the middle of the road on price. The 10w-40 is the same as the new 5w-40, why bother at that point...There new AFL is out there on the price for 5 qts...

I don't think price is the factor, it's specs. CI-4+/SL vs. CJ-4/SM vs. Euro/SM.

Originally Posted By: snowmaker

I don't think price is the factor, it's specs. CI-4+/SL vs. CJ-4/SM vs. Euro/SM.

True but the spec do not coralate to price...The 5w-40 is the best and the middle of the road...The Euro is like $9 more and what do you get?

Thanks for the replies. It was my understanding that Rotella was reformulated in the last year with lower ZDDP levels? Same time it got the T6 label? Ok so lay it on me what kind of ZDDP levels does AMO 10w40 have? How does that compare to DEO? The 5weights seem like a good idea because it can get pretty cold (-20f) here. But Im open to suggestions. Is there a list going somewhere of high ZDDP oils?

Originally Posted By: OffOrWFO
Thanks for the replies. It was my understanding that Rotella was reformulated in the last year with lower ZDDP levels? Same time it got the T6 label? Ok so lay it on me what kind of ZDDP levels does AMO 10w40 have? How does that compare to DEO? The 5weights seem like a good idea because it can get pretty cold (-20f) here. But Im open to suggestions. Is there a list going somewhere of high ZDDP oils?

I'm not a Rotella expert, but I think it's been CJ-4 for a couple years.

AMO and other oils levels are here:

https://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbulletin/MotorOil/TSB MO-2007-08-08 Flat Tappet.pdf

Some old school synthetic 10W-40's have really good cold flow properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back