Amsoil 2cycle oil allows rust during storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not my info. I don't really have an opinion one way or another. I just thought it was and interesting conversation. One oil is amsoil interceptor used on a snowmobile engine. Another engine was run on polaris blue a cheaper dino 2cycle. One crank is rusty the other isn't. Pics to compare. The link is from snowest, a snowmobile forum. The author is a reputible engine builder. check it out.

Snowest forum

Be esS

I can see if he was using Dominator, maybe. The rest is just speculation. Don't store any two stroke engine after only running Dominator. It's a race oil.

Also - who really knows if people use correct mix ratios or use alcohol fuel or ingest water...

I have heard these types of comment,s before and it just drives me crazy.
There are certain individuals that just seem to have a hatred for AMSOIL and will do everything to discredit the products.
I did go and read the Snowest posts and the further down I read the more info came out....in fact the Indy guy started to ease up on AMSOIL.
My experience with AMSOIL and my customers have been pretty well 100% possitive.
One time another dealer had a customer have two chainsaws sieze up. The customer was blaming AMSOIL.When the dealer looked into what happened he found the the customers son had forgotten to put the oil in with the gas....they had been running the 100 to 1 premix for years. So it turned out to be the son's fault. The customer was a little sheepish in his appoligy.
As for any other problems....I had a customer with a New Holland tractor that took the transission out twice. He was using our ATH 30 hydraulic oil. I told him there had to be a problem with the transmission or such. In the end we persisted and found that there were a batch of bad servos in the shifting system of this type of transmission, and New Holland had to change where they were getting the servos from. They did stand behind the warranty as well and good for them.

When it comes to customer problems.....we have to work hard to find out what the causes are to the problems they incounter.
I don't think other oil companies can or will do as much as a GOOD, AMSOIL dealer will for his customers.
In the end I can say with confidence that AMSOIL works hard at providing a VERY good product that is tested in all aspects of performance. The customer still has to do the right things when it comes to using any type of product to be sure his engine is protected for storage.

Well, I read on down and apparently read something different as he said he used to be a Ams oil dealer and switched everyone over to their oils and then really regretted it. He never eased up on amsoil at all. I found the idea that their interceptor oil was not very good was interesting, considering a piece of literature I saw several years back touting how much testing went into the product and how well it performed in testing against other oils supposedly. One would assume that considerable testing went into off-season corrosion protection also. I've never used the stuff or even ridden a snowmobile. I do like their automotive oils and use some of them. Hard to know what to believe these days without proving to yourself by using said product. I suppose that it's also possible that no one company makes the best lubricant for every situation in every piece of equipment, although it's a nice thought...

I guess it was too early in the morning when I read something I didn't
frown.gif

At anyrate I'll leave it at that.

Some synthetic oils will allow rust to form during storage. AmSoil is not immune or alone. I have seen rust with Redline, and some Maxima products. A 2 stroke put away for storage should be fogged, and have a spoon or so of a petroleum base (that .99 bottle of Valvo from Big Lots) in the cylinder before seasonal storage.

Great post beanoil!!

Amsoil gives copious warnings with the Dominator oil.

I still think this guy had an axe to grind. I live in a pretty wet place and have seen nothing like this with Interceptor when mixed and used as directed.

Yup, shades of Redline Racing oil! If I did not know better, I would say that those were pictures of RRO!

By the way I had exactly the same problems with RRO on EVERY thing I used it in, but not MX2t (Mobil 1 racing 2t). RRO even caused my Ryobi weed eater to fail in short order. And it was stored in an air conditioned shop along with my 2 stroke bikes.

Chris

I've seen it, too many times. Problem is the amsoil users can be too stubborn to take your advice on oil. They wrongly assume amsoils twostroke products are "good, better, best". Guess they just assume the dominator is the most expensive so it's the BEST. Try to communicate the "why" in why they maybe shouldn't use it, and they get all defensive.

[ April 14, 2006, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: wileyE ]

I have also witnessed oxidation on the crank of a 2T with several of the top name 2cycle fluids.

I have seen it with Redline, and heard countless others experience the same thing. I have also seen it with MX2T, Golden Spectro, amoung others.

I think the "why" relates to an ester or something being (or going) hydroscopic.

Entering into a debate about Amsoil here would be like thrusting your head, up to the shoulders, into a hornets nest.
Personally, I try to keep from doing such a stupid thing...
What purpose could it possbily serve?

For tech info, I like to depend on infomation from "techs".

Storage is a big issue. That is the one reason why I don't run amsoil 100:1 at that ratio. Its good oil but it won't protect during storage so I mix at 40:1 just like any other oil.

I was running amsoil in my snowmobile, but now I'm rethinking that. I could deal with the off season storage, but what about between rides? Sleds pulled on an open trailer see some of the worst conditions possible. You ride all day in water, then pull them down the rode in a salt spray for a couple hours then wash them off and let them sit for a couple weeks. I guess I need to save my money for a covered trailer. Why can't things be simple?

With the thousands of snowmobile enthusiasts using AMSOIL I would guess that there would be a major problem arise if there was a problem in the first place.

Ok, in this topic which i started, Pablo says:
quote:

IMHO Amsoil has been pretty good in the rust prevention dept. with 2-stroke oils over the years. I certainly have heard of no problems with Dominator. I would say at 40:1 you will be fine - even over the winter, so 2-4 weeks should be no issue.

Now Pablo says:
quote:

Don't store any two stroke engine after only running Dominator. It's a race oil.

and
quote:

Amsoil gives copious warnings with the Dominator oil.

What gives??
BTW i have looked for these "copious warnings" on the Amsoil website and also on the Dominator bottle and have not found them. Maybe the "copious warnings" only go out to the dealers.

Anyways, I knew better than to run an oil sold through multi-level marketing, but the dealership that sold me the bike also sells Amsoil so guess what oil they recommended.

[ April 26, 2006, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: Go_Hogs_Go ]

What gives?

I still have heard or seen no issues with Dominator, but based on these statements from the Amsoil web site, I have become a tad more cautious.

quote:

"excellent as a race oil for short-term use where motors are periodically inspected."

"Not suitable for use with alcohol...."

I still know there will be no issue with 2-4 week storage, especially 40:1. Plus the fact that in your post you asked a specific question about your situation, you even said you fogged it for winter. I gave you a specific answer.
dunno.gif
cheers.gif

[ April 27, 2006, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

Fogging Oil: More Important Than you Think
The industry is beginning to recognize the relationship between storage-related corrosion and premature engine failures and performance problems. Unlike AMSOIL Motorcycle Oils, which are formulated with special long-term anti-rust agents, the effectiveness of most motor oils to keep condensate from contacting engine components and forming rust and corrosion diminishes with time.

Fogging Oil is the ideal way to insure protection against rust and corrosion during off season storage and dry starts at the beginning of a new season. See full story about our NEW FOGGING OIL in the May Action News.

Fogging oil would have prevented this from happening, period.

I see this thread going in the wrong direction, almost a hint of "trolling" in the other forum. Please keep it civilized and the thread will remain open.

In my personal experience, I have seen outboard motors seize in a six month period when not properly winterized, even with dino TCW3. Use fogging oil people and sleep well during the winter months, Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back