Amsoil 15w 40 heavy duty diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at the Amsoil Web site and noticed they are really proud of making it clear that some of their oils are PAO. Not so with the full synthetic 15w 40. Could it be a group III oil?

Thanks Dave

Yes it is a full synthetic but then again so is Rotalla 5-40. The question is is a group III or PAO. Thanks Dave

The 15W-40 AME is a PAO oil.

I think the main reason no "PAO hype" on this oil is that the marketers at Amsoil are not aiming the oil at the same crowd, and has nothing to do with the chemistry. This oil has been a mainstay long before the "PAO hype", and is directed towards diesels and fleets.

Do you have a problem with this oil? I think one key is to read it's cold temperature properties. Pretty much not group III characteristics:

AME 15W-40

The PCO formula came out in 1979; AME formulation came out in 1982 - there were NO Group III oils around back then. The Noack volatility of the 15w-40 is about 6.5%, compared to 10%-12% for the GP III based, 5w-40 HDEO's. Even PCO beats the GP III oils with regards to high temp stability....

I suspect the basestock blend of PCO is similar to the excellent Schaeffers S7000, 15w-40....

Tooslick

No problem at all with the oil. I am considering using as it seems an excellent value. Just curious after reading the Amsoil products page. I do not even have a problem with a Group III per se if it offeers the right balance of paice and performance. Thanks for your replies.

I do not know about other engines but Cummins specifies CI 4 oil in the common rail diesel in the Dodge truck.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Dave

Is it true that commonrail direct injection diesel have to use gasoline engine oil on their engine..??

Right at about 16 mostly around town. I understand these engiines do better after they break in. Truck just rolled over two thusand miles today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back