Amsoil 10w40Moto Polaris Outlaw w/KTM 450RFS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am an XC racer in a local series in east Texas. I've been running Amsoil 10w40 in my '09 Polaris Outlaw ATV since last fall but haven't done a UOA on it to see what was going on. I raced in early June and with practice and the race probably put 4 hours on it that weekend. Well feeling a little lazy I didn't change the oil after the race weekend but went and rode the following weekend for recreation. It was extremely hot and dusty that weekend and my quad actually overheated for the first time. In fact it overheated mutliple times before I could make it back to the truck. Each time I stopped and let it cool down before continuing. I didn't want to damage my KTM 450 RFS engine stupidly but the last time the light came on I was less than a mile from the truck and I pushed it back and the engine was rattling and clattering like a diesel by the time I got it back. This is a UOA of the oil that came out after that ride.

Amsoil10w40OutlawJun2011.jpg

I was expecting much worse, with the oil and the engine. I figured I had about 12 hours on this oil under some of the worst conditions you can put an engine through and the oil and engine look great.

BTW, the overheating is fixed, these KTM RFS engines run hot normally and most people remove the thermostat to aide in cooling when racing...I never did. Turns out the thermostat failed in the closed position. I do have an oil cooler on the engine, I guess it was the Amsoil alone that saved the engine.

i doubt you put 12hr on it. while you might feel like you did, an hour meter is the only way to know and they will usually show 1/2 to 1/3 the time you think you really rode.

susvis is a 30wt.

alum is low
iron may be high
nickle is either background scatter of 3 OR an indicator
same with lead
even more so with silver at 10
flash of 390 is low for no fuel

so either this is a good report
or
shows the overheating did a tiny bit of damage that may never result in anything.
time will tell.

Yeah, you're right, just haven't gotten around to putting one on this quad yet. I have 3 kids that all race quads and my wife rides so I have lots of maintenance to do and it takes up much of my time(and money, not to mention fixing and replacing what the kids break at the races. It's gotten to the point where my quad isn't the focus anymore. I don't wreck and break things nearly as often as the kids do.

Originally Posted By: ccdhowell
Yeah, you're right, just haven't gotten around to putting one on this quad yet. I have 3 kids that all race quads and my wife rides so I have lots of maintenance to do and it takes up much of my time(and money, not to mention fixing and replacing what the kids break at the races. It's gotten to the point where my quad isn't the focus anymore. I don't wreck and break things nearly as often as the kids do.
Sounds like the kids need to learn how to do repairs.......

i agree with oilboy. kids should be learning how much time and effort it takes. not just throw on the helmet and run the pizz out of it.

My daughter is still driving the car we bought, and she helped me put the engine in. It had a bad engine. Fond memories......... She is 26 now. We got it running when she was about 17.

They are never to old........

The kids are "handy" for their age, 14, 11 & 8, all girls. The oldest 2 change their own oil and clean the air filters with supervision. The little one is learning, but can only hand me wrenches and things. I would say that my kids do more work on their quads than anyone I know, it's just a lot that must be done when you get in the heart of the season. Of course they also wash their quads and gear, my wife cleans the trailer and clothes; it really is a family effort, but the bulk of the repair work falls on me. It's ok, we all enjoy racing as a family.

well then it sounds like they do a good job. way to go dad!!!!

now throw an hour meter on it and lets see the real numbers.
wink.gif

i promise you will be shocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back