Amsoil 10W40 Small Engine or Amsoil Premium Protection 10W40?

Is there a notable distinction between them?
The Amsoil Premium Protection appears to offer a more elevated level of performance (with a significantly higher TBN and slightly higher cost) compared to the Small Engine variant.

When deciding between the two for my generator and pressure washer, which would be the more suitable choice?

Thank you.

The Amsoil Premium Protection appears to offer a more elevated level of performance (with a significantly higher TBN and slightly higher cost) compared to the Small Engine variant.

When deciding between the two for my generator and pressure washer, which would be the more suitable choice?

Thank you.
I would pick the 1 with the better NOACK and HTHS Numbers.

I would pick the 1 with the better NOACK and HTHS Numbers.
Noack is a proper name (from Kurt Noack) and HTHS matters, but also antioxidant levels and metal protector properties are very important for OPE and engines with intermittent use.

OP, I’ve used Amsoil Small Engine 10w40 and have no complaints, it it a very good oil and performed admirably for me; however, I moved my ZT over to HPL Small Engine 10w40 and my generator to HPL CK-4 5w40 Cold Climate because they are both loaded with HPL’s traditionally stout add pack, plus a top treatment of extra antioxidants. There’s likely not huge differences in protection and performance, but I chose to run HPL in everything I own.

They’re both top-notch companies and their top-tier products are excellent. In your case, I’d pick based on cost and availability, or even just emotions at this point because you can’t go wrong with either company’s oils.

I don't have an answer for the OP but... there's always that but - if I were wanting to try something from Amsoil for a modern piece of outdoor power equipment then I'd try their fancy Briggs & Stratton racing 10W-30 (just called Briggs & Stratton Synthetic 4T Racing oil). They make this oil for racing go-karts and it's supposed to be something impressive. It's a bit pricey but not crazy pricey at $11.25 per quart.

I recently took advantage of their free shipping promotion and I had a couple of quarts in my cart but I ended up dedicating my limited resources (I'm broke) to items that I actually needed.

They advertise:
NOACK: 9.7%
HT/HS: 4.2 cP
KV@100ºc: 11.6 cSt

I'll have some by the time summer arrives just to appease my warped sense of curiosity.

I don't have an answer for the OP but... there's always that but - if I were wanting to try something from Amsoil for a modern piece of outdoor power equipment then I'd try their fancy Briggs & Stratton racing 10W-30 (just called Briggs & Stratton Synthetic 4T Racing oil). They make this oil for racing go-karts and it's supposed to be something impressive. It's a bit pricey but not crazy pricey at $11.25 per quart.

I recently took advantage of their free shipping promotion and I had a couple of quarts in my cart but I ended up dedicating my limited resources (I'm broke) to items that I actually needed.

They advertise:
NOACK: 9.7%
HT/HS: 4.2 cP
KV@100ºc: 11.6 cSt

I'll have some by the time summer arrives just to appease my warped sense of curiosity.
Sounds good, Is 10W-40 available? As I reside in a very hot climate, this viscosity grade is preferable for my needs.

Sounds good, Is 10W-40 available? As I reside in a very hot climate, this viscosity grade is preferable for my needs.
The racing oil is only sold in the 30 grade. I said it is a 10W-30 but with such a high HT/HS this stuff is likely something like a 15W-30 or even a 20W-30. Ah heck, let's just call it a monograde 30.

I apologize but I don't really have anything else to add. I run monograde 30s in my Briggs&Stratton equipment and always have. I have a junkyard mower that I dragged out of the garbage and it's quite the oil burner. It's so old that I can't get a replacement piston ring set so I'm just topping off after each mow. I was going to try the racing oil in it just to see if the viscosity and strong base oil would improve the oil consumption.

The Amsoil product line expert on this forum is a member by the name of Pablo. Maybe you can search him out and send him a private message for far more information than I could ever provide.

The racing oil is only sold in the 30 grade. I said it is a 10W-30 but with such a high HT/HS this stuff is likely something like a 15W-30 or even a 20W-30. Ah heck, let's just call it a monograde 30.

I apologize but I don't really have anything else to add. I run monograde 30s in my Briggs&Stratton equipment and always have. I have a junkyard mower that I dragged out of the garbage and it's quite the oil burner. It's so old that I can't get a replacement piston ring set so I'm just topping off after each mow. I was going to try the racing oil in it just to see if the viscosity and strong base oil would improve the oil consumption.

The Amsoil product line expert on this forum is a member by the name of Pablo. Maybe you can search him out and send him a private message for far more information than I could ever provide.
+1

I'd reach out to Pablo.

Thank you.
For gen and power washer that calls for 10W-40: https://www.amsoil.com/p/amsoil-10w-40-100-synthetic-small-engine-oil-asf/?zo=515729

Because better anti-oxidants and rust inhibitors. Volatility and HTHS are so good, I don't see this as a concern.

For a small engine with no oil filter and splash lubrication I'd be more concerned about oil change intervals over what oil is being used.
Totally agree. I am also not convinced that using high priced Amsoil will make a small engine last longer than any other name brand oil.

Disagree with this comment when buying a run of the mill 10w40 lots of low quantity junk oils built for this market.
Exactly. Minimal additives, no rust inhibitors, viscosity gone quickly.......I'm sure such oils work for some, but my engines are not cheap, and the small extra cost (if any) changing once a year (vs multiple hassle changes every couple months) in the relatively small sump capacity in the Kawasaki Gravely, Honda PW's, Honda and clone generators doesn't seem like that much. Even if $50 more a year (hardly) is easily worth it, but probably a wash.

EDIT: OP didn't even ask about Supertech

Disagree with this comment when buying a run of the mill 10w40 lots of low quantity junk oils built for this market.
You can disagree, but I go off of the experience I have servicing hundreds of small engines a year as a side business. The "low quality" oils are still better than what was available 10 years ago. I'm not saying buy gas station no-name oil, but even the cheapest API certified oil you can find changed at appropriate levels will be more than fine. I've seen 20+ year old mowers with the original oil in them that run fine.

Putting expensive boutique oil in a small engine and changing it at the specified intervals does nothing measurable besides make you feel better. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Amsoil, it is a great oil, but stating that using a cheaper oil is somehow going to make your engine not last longer is opinion and not fact.

Have you considered a syn diesel oil in 5w40? How about Dino diesel oil in 15w40. Amsoil is good stuff however it is a moot point to dump it at 15 hours of use.

Exactly. Minimal additives, no rust inhibitors, viscosity gone quickly.......I'm sure such oils work for some, but my engines are not cheap, and the small extra cost (if any) changing once a year (vs multiple hassle changes every couple months) in the relatively small sump capacity in the Kawasaki Gravely, Honda PW's, Honda and clone generators doesn't seem like that much. Even if $50 more a year (hardly) is easily worth it, but probably a wash.

EDIT: OP didn't even ask about Supertech
100% agree.

Have you considered a syn diesel oil in 5w40? How about Dino diesel oil in 15w40. Amsoil is good stuff however it is a moot point to dump it at 15 hours of use.
Why would I dump any oil at 15 hours? Engine has full pressure oil system with a filter. 50 hours at least being conservative. I typically only put around 40-50 hours on the tractor per year, so I don't mind spending the money on good oil for a once a year oil change.

Back