Amsoil 0W-30 Honda S2000 40,259 OCI w/bypass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kuato

Bet you a beer that it burns little at first, then starts burning more as the OCI progresses.

Slalom, do you have any stats showing at what mileage the oil was added?

And you would win that beer. It was burning close to a quart every 2000 miles before the last oil change but went almost 3000 miles before I was down a quart after the oil change. Some of that difference can be attributed to dipstick inaccuracy but there was definitely an improvement. Why did you know this?

Thanks for all the comments and compliments. I'm not a very aggressive driver. I drive lots of highway miles with some occasional spirited runs but nothing too extreme.

I theorize that as the oil gets depleted, it becomes less resistant to burnoff. Had one vehicle the burned zero at the beginning but started to use some towards the end of the OCI.

Originally Posted By: slalom44

Bet you a beer that it burns little at first, then starts burning more as the OCI progresses.

Slalom, do you have any stats showing at what mileage the oil was added?

And you would win that beer. It was burning close to a quart every 2000 miles before the last oil change but went almost 3000 miles before I was down a quart after the oil change. Some of that difference can be attributed to dipstick inaccuracy but there was definitely an improvement. Why did you know this?

Thanks for all the comments and compliments. I'm not a very aggressive driver. I drive lots of highway miles with some occasional spirited runs but nothing too extreme.

Hey slalom, nice to see you still posting after all these years. Your bypass system and semi-like sump capacity has surely made for consistent and stellar reports that always Impress me. After 40k (and top ups) it winds up looking like a regular UOA report. Can't beat a bypass filter system!

I theorize that as the oil gets depleted, it becomes less resistant to burnoff. Had one vehicle the burned zero at the beginning but started to use some towards the end of the OCI.

A lot of people seem to experience this, myself included. Since it's less likely to be the original products of volatility at the end of the fill's life (as they've most likely taken stage left via PCV) I would speculate it has to do with molecular changes- perhaps a change in polarity as the oil degrades or simply shredded polymer molecules becoming newly volatile after mechanical permanent shearing or slipping past the rings, or even the ringpack taking on temporary contaminant load reducing it's efficacy. Who really knows, but I'd sure like to find out one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back