Amsoil 0W-30 Honda S2000 40,259 OCI w/bypass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slalom, that car has been around for a day or two I remember some of your posts on S2KI, I think it was the first time I saw a 30k OCI! Nice to see an S2K at some 350,000 miles.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Swifty
Slalom, that car has been around for a day or two I remember some of your posts on S2KI, I think it was the first time I saw a 30k OCI! Nice to see an S2K at some 350,000 miles.
thumbsup2.gif

S2000 engines(AP1 & A2) are very much bullet proof. Many high performance engines (more than 90-100 HP/L) were rebuild at around 200k-300k miles.

The other bullet proof engine is V8 engine 1UZFE in early 90's Lexus LS400.

Sorry for OT, but i am curious about the Prelube Pump.
I know what this is, but i never seen one on a car and i dont know of any company how manufactures this for cars.
Could you enlighten me, please?

Originally Posted By: ChristianReske
I know what this is, but i never seen one on a car and i dont know of any company how manufactures this for cars.

I did a lot of research at the time, and i ended up concluding that a ShurFlo 2088-343-135 pump would hold up. It works fine but after around 80,000 miles they start leaking. The pump doesn't cost much so i have replaced it several times.
Here is a thread describing my setup:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=34&Number=762080

Originally Posted By: slalom44
Originally Posted By: ChristianReske

I did a lot of research at the time, and i ended up concluding that a ShurFlo 2088-343-135 pump would hold up. It works fine but after around 80,000 miles they start leaking. The pump doesn't cost much so i have replaced it several times.
Here is a thread describing my setup:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=34&Number=762080

I don't know how cost would compare, but there IS a company that manufactures oil accumulators, which pre-oils racing vehicles and has been in business for quite awhile: https://www.cantonracingproducts.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=2410

I would move up to a major brand Xw40 (Amsoil contains a lot of detergents, so it is good for extended OCI's) and add half a can of Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver every oil change.
If the CCV is OK and it's not dripping or blowing smoke, the most likely cause of high oil consumption is worn valve guide oil seals. Using thicker oil and a major brand stop leak additive should help with the seals issue, BUT it will make no difference if the rings are bad.

Impressive UOA with no sign that the oil needs changing, although that might be partly due to the amount of top up oil.

Last edited:
I have enjoyed watching and admiring this car for years. I used to follow your S2000 before I even knew about BITOG. As a fan of Honda and Amsoil products, I'm always happy to see this car hanging in there. I liked your setup so much, I set out to mimic it. About one year ago I purchased an Amsoil single bypass unit for my '07 Civic Si (K series and F series may not be the same animal, but they are similar in many ways). This car had already seen a steady diet of signature series 0w30 well before the installation and had great, single digit wear results from Blackstone. Oddly enough, my results have not been as good with the extra level of filtration
33.gif
. Lead appears to be on the rise the last two reports and Iron is elevated in the last one. I noticed some Lead in your recent reports as well. Blackstone and other BITOG users pointed to my old air filter which has been changed along with fresh signature series 0w30. I also suspect my valve adjustments could have contributed to wear #s. It's all speculation, but I'm hoping to post a better report here next time. Not thread jacking, just sharing results for a similar setup. Here's my 10 month/15k mile OCI on Amsoil Signature Series 0w30 with the bypass setup:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4151161/Re:_'07_Civic_Si_Amsoil_AZO_0w

thumbsup2.gif
Another great report.

I'm wondering if anyone that is complaining about it using 17 quarts has done the math?

It's only using only 1 quart per 2350 miles - which is not much at all.

Originally Posted By: Guitarman200806
I have enjoyed watching and admiring this car for years. I used to follow your S2000 before I even knew about BITOG. As a fan of Honda and Amsoil products, I'm always happy to see this car hanging in there. I liked your setup so much, I set out to mimic it. About one year ago I purchased an Amsoil single bypass unit for my '07 Civic Si (K series and F series may not be the same animal, but they are similar in many ways). This car had already seen a steady diet of signature series 0w30 well before the installation and had great, single digit wear results from Blackstone. Oddly enough, my results have not been as good with the extra level of filtration
33.gif
. Lead appears to be on the rise the last two reports and Iron is elevated in the last one. I noticed some Lead in your recent reports as well. Blackstone and other BITOG users pointed to my old air filter which has been changed along with fresh signature series 0w30. I also suspect my valve adjustments could have contributed to wear #s. It's all speculation, but I'm hoping to post a better report here next time. Not thread jacking, just sharing results for a similar setup. Here's my 10 month/15k mile OCI on Amsoil Signature Series 0w30 with the bypass setup:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4151161/Re:_'07_Civic_Si_Amsoil_AZO_0w

Thanks For sharing. I need to keep an eye out for your progress.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
thumbsup2.gif
Another great report.

I'm wondering if anyone that is complaining about it using 17 quarts has done the math?

The oil consumption of this car is within normal range of AP1. AP2 reduced oil consumption to almost zero for some and less than 1 quart for other during normal OCI of 5-6k miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ST2008
Just curious. Do you have an oil pressure gauge in your S2000?

Yes. I installed a pressure gauge when I first installed my bypass filter.

Originally Posted By: Guitarman200806
What pressure values do you see on the gauge at idle and at speed?
i have a digital gauge and i'm not sure how accurate the readings are anymore. And my gauge tops out at 80 psi so pressures above 80 just show 80. With a cold engine i get 80 psi until the oil gets warm. Cruising on the highway with a warm engine i get around 65 to 80, but it jumps around a lot. Hence, i think the gauge isn't accurate anymore. When it was new it usually was around 75-80 psi on the highway. At idle when at a light it shows 15-20 psi. That seems low, so i'm not sure it is accurate. The car runs great, idles smooth and never stutters.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Kuato
thumbsup2.gif
Another great report.

The oil consumption of this car is within normal range of AP1. AP2 reduced oil consumption to almost zero for some and less than 1 quart for other during normal OCI of 5-6k miles.

Bet you a beer that it burns little at first, then starts burning more as the OCI progresses.

Slalom, do you have any stats showing at what mileage the oil was added?

Last edited:
I've read his post on a S2000 forum and on here for years and its mostly commuting miles. Heck, he has over 350k miles on a AP1 engine and I have not read anywhere on the net of anyone who has more miles on a original(non rebuilt) AP1 engine. AP1's use oil, my AP2 S2000 doesn't use any in 7500 miles. Go figure.

ROD

Originally Posted By: rrounds
I've read his post on a S2000 forum and on here for years and its mostly commuting miles. Heck, he has over 350k miles on a AP1 engine and I have not read anywhere on the net of anyone who has more miles on a original(non rebuilt) AP1 engine. AP1's use oil, my AP2 S2000 doesn't use any in 7500 miles. Go figure.

ROD

They are great engines and I definitely prefer the higher revving F20cs over the later F22c1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back