America's Best Bang for the Buck?

The horsepower wars make me chuckle. My 2007 Mustang with "only" 300 HP will absolutely fly - 0-60 in 5.2 seconds plus tons of torque anywhere on the tach. I understand the need for speed, but I think many people way overestimate the value of HP.

All of that said, I need to visit a few dealerships in town to drive a few of the latest muscle cars.

Yeah more importantly for the manual version the Camaro V8's uses the Tremec transmission as opposed to the class action lawsuit laden chinese MT-82 in the Mustang. If I get sick of the miata and need a "real" car, I may go for one of these in a couple years.

Last edited:
The horsepower wars make me chuckle. My 2007 Mustang with "only" 300 HP will absolutely fly - 0-60 in 5.2 seconds plus tons of torque anywhere on the tach. I understand the need for speed, but I think many people way overestimate the value of HP.

All of that said, I need to visit a few dealerships in town to drive a few of the latest muscle cars.

It’s funny you say that, my brother bought a 2008 Mustang GT 5 speed new back in 2008 and and it was slow, even rated at 300 hp it had no grunt. Heck the 2002 Camaro 3800 V6 he had before that wasn’t much slower.

I didn't realize the Camaro was rated that highly by C&D, among other auto enthusiast sources. Lot of power for the $.

This generation Camaro is a very tight squeeze for people around 6’0. It’s considerably cramped. The 2015+ Mustang is a much easier interior space to live with.

0-60 for the current 455HP Camaro is 4.0, with reported 1/4 mile times of 12.00 to 12.60 at about 117 mph depending on options, driver.

When Motortrend tested the 1998 Z28 it went 0-60 in 4.9 seconds, usually the accepted value is 5.1ish. with a 1/4 mile of 13.20 to 13.60 depending on transmission. The 01 to 02 would touch 12.90's I went 12.95 in my 2001. Muscle Mustang and Fast Fords took two separate LS1 Camaros to 12.89 and 12.82 bone stock.

The difference is these new cars are tight, stop well, handle phenomenally and they are quick right of the showroom floor on street tires with all the good modern stuff. There are guys running 11's with just tires on the new cars. I needed heads, cam, rearend and tires in the WS6. The new Muscle cars are light years of stuff built 10 years ago or more.

I agree. My 135i hits way illegal speeds too easily as is. There’s something to be said about that initial press you back in your seat torque/acceleration. But beyond a point it’s hard to use.

It’s funny you say that, my brother bought a 2008 Mustang GT 5 speed new back in 2008 and and it was slow, even rated at 300 hp it had no grunt. Heck the 2002 Camaro 3800 V6 he had before that wasn’t much slower.

Your brother needs to learn how to drive a stick

Yeah more importantly for the manual version the Camaro V8's uses the Tremec transmission as opposed to the class action lawsuit laden chinese MT-82 in the Mustang. If I get sick of the miata and need a "real" car, I may go for one of these in a couple years.

All manual trans Camaro get a Tremec: V8 gets TR-6060 and V6 and 4 cylinder gets TR-3160 (yeah, the V6 and turbo 4 gets the same TR-3160 the Mustang GT350 gets).

the current stang 5.0 and maro ss both run acceptable mid 12s, 20 years ago that would be top of the line performance.

to get the kind of performance i want with a warranty and a stick shift i’d have to drop 70k+ for these same cars with angry body kits and a nice engine (except for the shelby because you suck and we hate you). back to looking at used CTS-Vs i go...

Last edited:
Back