American Tactical / Schmeisser 60 Round Magazines

I saw these for a pretty good price from Gun Mag Warehouse. So I took a chance on them and ordered a couple. They are the "quad stack" design. Very similar to the 60 round metal mags Surefire put out.

I have one of those, (I paid a stupid amount of money for it), but it works well, so I thought these should be OK being of the same basic design. Does anyone have any of these? How have they run for you?

The only thing that I've read is they don't do well in "drop tests" when they are half full. It seems once they get the "quad stack" of rounds knocked around internally, it's hard to get the rounds out. I don't plan on dropping them, so I'm not worried about it.

They seem well constructed. I loaded one up to capacity, and it unloaded fairly easily by hand without any hang ups. But I won't be getting to the range for a couple of weeks to test them.

I also have a Magpul 60 round drum, and it feeds flawlessly. But it was well over twice what I paid for these 2. I'll put a link below if anyone is interested. I'll report back after I get them out and put some rounds downrange with them. (I haven't figured out what is so "unique" about the follower).

gx44Nbc.jpg

YtRJLeO.jpg

I’ve got a couple Magpul D60 (5.56) and D50 (7.62). It’s kinda cool to double the capacity.

But, oh, the weight with that 7.62 is something to be considered. There are reasons why I might want that many rounds, but it makes the rifle cumbersome.

Back to 5.56. Like you, I paid a considerable amount for the Magpul drums, and, like you, they work great, if a bit fiddly to load.

Please let us know how this works at the range. I like the idea, at least in 5.56.

OK - I looked at the site - $35 on sale is a decent price. Worth a chance, so I bought three. You'll likely get to the range before me, so, please let us know how you like them.

Here are a couple of videos on them. The one with the girl I believe is showing the Gen 1 model. The ones I got, (and I'm sure the ones you'll be getting), are the Gen 2 models. Her's have the window. These do not. (Not sure what's going on with that?)

The Gen 2's also appear to have the bolt hold open device built right into the follower, which is orange. The second video shows this. They look to run pretty well. The opening sequence with the girl shows her firing one in a full auto weapon with no issues.

Here are a couple of videos on them. The one with the girl I believe is showing the Gen 1 model. The ones I got, (and I'm sure the ones you'll be getting), are the Gen 2 models. Her's have the window. These do not. (Not sure what's going on with that?)

The Gen 2's also appear to have the bolt hold open device built right into the follower, which is orange. The second video shows this. They look to run pretty well. The opening sequence with the girl shows her firing one in a full auto weapon with no issues.

I like her!!!

Astro,

Is this the .308 Magpul drum you have? And if so, do you run it in your DPMS AP-4 Carbine?

That’s it exactly. Works just like the D-60, only sized up a bit. Functions perfectly.

But 50 rounds of 7.62 adds a lot of weight to the rifle.

I finally got to the range yesterday morning with both of the Schmeisser 60 round mags. I took 2 AR's with me. A Colt 6920, and an older Bushmaster Modular Carbine. (Both guns are box stock).

The mags ran flawlessly with both of them. For ammo I used some Federal M193 Ball, and some IMI M855 I had. I also took some of my handloads that consisted of Hornady 55 gr. FMJ's over a charge of CFE 223 powder.

Not a hiccup from either mag in either gun, or from any of the ammo. I didn't have a mag loader, and topping off the mags to full capacity took some doing, until my fingers got sore. (Which tends to happen sooner with age). But overall they ran just fine. Both mags held the bolt open on the last round 100% of the time.

I think I'm going to grab a few more. The price is good, and with everything going the way it is, that will more than likely go up in the future.

Since this thread deals with Hi-Cap AR magazines, I thought I would add this here, rather than start another thread.

I ordered a Magpul 50 round drum magazine for my DPMS AP-4 .308 Carbine from Grab-A-Gun. They have a good price on them if anyone is interested. (Prices on these things vary greatly, and I couldn't find anyone offering them for less). It was delivered yesterday.

I've had good luck with their 60 round 5.56 MM / .223 model, so I thought I would give the bigger brother a try. I'm going to the range with it in the next week or so, and I'll be anxious to see how it performs.

Back