AMC 360 Oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 different AMC 360's that I run in Jeep full size trucks, one mostly in the winter, the other summer only. I have been running 15w40 in the summer, 10w30 in the winter. The summer stuff I have been using is AMC HD from www.bulltear.com it now costs too much at about $90 a case of 12 qt. I'm OK with Rotella and such looking at input on how much ZDDP I should run and weather I can get an off the shelf oil that has enough in it.

The lowering of zddp scared lots of people. But theres not tons of threads on the car and truck forums about flat cams. Look at how many flat tappit engines are running every day on sn oils and not losing cams. If your still worried about it use defy or rotella 10w30 year round

IMO Rotella 5w40 year round, or if you like thinner in winter their 10w30.

Please post pics of your jeeps!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: mrtazwrench
I'm OK with Rotella and such looking at input on how much ZDDP I should run and weather I can get an off the shelf oil that has enough in it.

Don't myopically focus on ZDDP. As Chris aforementioned, there's a lot of anecdotal discussion out there, but little (I'm being generous) to support those claims in an engine such as yours.

Just looked up the weather for Rochester, MN the next few days:

Thu
Partly Cloudy
3°/-11°

Fri
Partly Cloudy
21°/19°

Sat
Chance of Snow
37°/-9°

Sun
Partly Cloudy
0°/-24°

Mon
Mostly Cloudy
-9°/-18°

Those kind of temperatures most certainly warrant the usage of an engine oil with exceptional cold flow characteristics, not a 10w/15w product.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Please post pics of your jeeps!
grin.gif

+1
thumbsup2.gif

I'd run 5w40 Rotella T6 in those AMC 360s.

I'll third that. I too want pictures of those old Jeeps!
grin.gif

I had a 360 in 1979 Cherokee, think I used Mobil Super 10w-40 back then. Knowing what I know now 5W-40 Rotella would be my choice.

Here is my 360 - 4 barrell V8 1989 Grand Wagooneer...it never spins a tire plowing snow for 8 friends and thats all its used for. Im a Chevy guy by heart hence the Chev bowtie logo on the plow
smile.gif
Its my therapy, quite time, good CD music, thermos of coffee, all alone for 4 hours at a time. Then its parked in the pole barn from April to Nov.
I use Amsoil XL 5w-30 and keep a battery tender on it, starts every time. Amsoil gear lube in both front and rear differential and Amsoil in the transfer case as well.

SnowDec21%20004a.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back