Amazon TPMS did not make 5 years.

My 2005 Corvette has the original sensors. I think being in a heated garage all winter helps. 4 years is not very good at all since the tires last that long depending on mileage.

Like a few others said - 4yrs on those sensors did you good. The average life is 4-5 yrs anyhow before the batteries go bad.

So Honda traded a open / standardized system with a dozen manufacturers of sensors that can be bought anywhere for a few bucks and the brand name ones last 8 years or more - to a proprietary system they will obsolete in 10 years and be unfix-able?

I think I got that right?
Honda went to an indirect system that Toyota and BMW used. Dunlop Japan invented that, Toyota used it on the Lexus LS430 and the Sienna AWD but got involved into a class-action lawsuit since the Siennas used run-flat tires. The indirect TPMS system depends on sensing wheel speeds from the ABS system, run-flat(at least the reinforced sidewall Goodyear EMT/RunOnFlat and Bridgestone RFT designs that BMW and Mercedes also use. Honda on the 2nd gen Odyssey as well as Rolls-Royce and Bugatti used the Michelin PAX System that’s no longer in production - those use soft sidewalls like a standard tire and a support ring and will trigger TPMS in run-flat mode) will still have similar RPMs as an inflated tire and the system isn’t triggered.

I like my 2021 Honda HRV setup....Good old rubber valve stems...NO TPMS... They use a different way....
My 1999 Alero also uses the vastly superior ABS sensor system. I suspect that manufacturers went to individual wheel sensors so that they could display the numbers on a screen for marketing purposes. Yes a faulty ABS wire will trigger the TPMS system.

My 1999 Alero also uses the vastly superior ABS sensor system. I suspect that manufacturers went to individual wheel sensors so that they could display the numbers on a screen for marketing purposes. Yes a faulty ABS wire will trigger the TPMS system.
None of mine display which TPMS is bad - which is stupid.

They could do it with the ABS system as well - the ECU has to know which ABS sensor is which to perform the actual ABS braking.

None of mine display which TPMS is bad - which is stupid.

They could do it with the ABS system as well - the ECU has to know which ABS sensor is which to perform the actual ABS braking.
It’s the same one, the Dunlop Japan(Dunlop Tech) is using code and algorithms to sniff out low tire pressure vs a sudden change in wheel speed to brake a wheel about to lock or release a wheel about to slip.

I like my 2021 Honda HRV setup....Good old rubber valve stems...NO TPMS... They use a different way....
If they switched the valve stem TPMS sensor to the band type sensor, that's not an upgrade, that's practically a downgrade

If they reverted back to the Indirect/ABS method of wheel speed detection to monitor tire pressure, that's great IMO 👍

If they switched the valve stem TPMS sensor to the band type sensor, that's not an upgrade, that's practically a downgrade

If they reverted back to the Indirect/ABS method of wheel speed detection to monitor tire pressure, that's great IMO 👍
thats how they do it indirect..

I have a set that’s 5-1/2 years old. No idea of the brand because I had them installed when I purchased new wheels and tires. I don’t know why I never thought of the batteries. 😐

Follow up. Since these TPMS units have never been programmed, I drove the Burb to the local Cal Tire and asked it they can use their super duper programmer to set them. The lady manager was in a bit of a snit but I managed to catch one of the female techs to help me out. She reset them in all of two minutes. :D

I know on my 2005 Grand Cherokee, the TPMS system is from TRW Automotive; I think later in the WK era they switched to Denso.
ZF/TRW, Conti(VDO), Huf(joint venture with a Chinese firm as BH-Sensor), Schrader, Pacific(Denso), and a Chinese firm all are involved with direct TPMS.

2914A2CE-2FD6-44F1-950E-6778839FCACB.jpeg

Follow up. Since these TPMS units have never been programmed, I drove the Burb to the local Cal Tire and asked it they can use their super duper programmer to set them. The lady manager was in a bit of a snit but I managed to catch one of the female techs to help me out. She reset them in all of two minutes. :D

How much did they charge for that?

So I saw those "zip tie the pressure sensor to fake a pressure" idea were floating around, basically people squeeze sensors to high pressure so they can fake a pressure reading and keep them in the glove compartment. Anyone tried it?

Last edited:
Back