Amazon TPMS did not make 5 years.

The TPMS sensors I purchased from Amazon only made it 4 years on my summer tires. I decided to run the the summer tires for one more year so I loaded up the the tires and took them to my Indy tire shop to mount a new set of sensors. He has a tire machine and prefers to take the tires right off the rims, carefully marking the position of the weights. I’ll just run the tires one more year and buy a new set next summer, God willing. When I buy the new tires, I’ll take a chance with the sensors I’m currently getting installed. It’s a 2008 3/4 ton Suburban with LT type tires. The next thing is my yearly task of pulling off the winters and putting on the summers. We’re in the mountains so I run full-on winter tires. The new sensors are shown. Hopefully they’re better than the last set I had installed four years ago. :D

8F1C9DEA-A063-4052-A7E2-36B5EDE71333.jpeg
B92BC2D6-F286-4D80-AC23-555FAFB2A5D6.jpeg
15C9F36E-2592-4D5E-8D58-CA979536AD42.jpeg

Last edited:
I argued back and forth about buying a set of them from Amazon for my spare set of truck wheels. I ended up buying a set of 4 Schrader branded ones from TPMS.com. Hopefully, there won't be any problems when I finally mount that set sometime this summer. Cost was double what the Amazon set was going to be, but I figured that savings would quickly evaporate the first time I had to deal with a bum sensor.

Could've been just the battery as that's about how long they last. I believe kits usually include the tool to open them.

It was either Denso(reboxed Pacific for my application) for $40 from Rock, or gamble with aftermarket. Thankfully, I needed tires, so I was willing to ruin mine if I screwed up breaking the beads.

Next time, I’ll pay Costco or America’s Tire for new sensor + labor and programming.

I'd love to have *any* option.

The TPMS sensors for my Goldwing (for all Goldwings from '12 through '17) haven't been available from Honda for almost a year and a half. To add insult to injury, Honda list on these are $199 EACH. Yet Honda can't be bothered to figure out a way to manufacture them. The batteries are not designed to be replaceable, so you have one choice... new. Honda is their own worst enemy.

I'd be thrilled for an Amazon option that lasts 4 years. Right now, my options are 'nothing' and 'wait some more'.

I like my 2021 Honda HRV setup....Good old rubber valve stems...NO TPMS... They use a different way....
So Honda traded a open / standardized system with a dozen manufacturers of sensors that can be bought anywhere for a few bucks and the brand name ones last 8 years or more - to a proprietary system they will obsolete in 10 years and be unfix-able?

I think I got that right?

You didn't say if you're happy or unhappy cheapo sensors lasted 4 years. Must be happy you're doing it again. (y)

That's the price of 1 sensor at Discount Tire.
I’m taking a chance that they might be using a better battery now, four years later. Also, I get to make the decision again in a year as these tires are near the end of their tread life.

So Honda traded a open / standardized system with a dozen manufacturers of sensors that can be bought anywhere for a few bucks and the brand name ones last 8 years or more - to a proprietary system they will obsolete in 10 years and be unfix-able?

Some manufacturers are turning to ABS sensor based TMPS, again. Supposedly the new ones can detect all tires losing the pressure at the same rate. It is still indirect system, so less fidelity, but much easier for end user.

Krzyś

Maybe you did not time will tell... I am happy with it and wont have the hrv in ten years...

Chrysler/Jeep doesn't do everything right by a long shot but their TPMS system is superior:
My 2007 Jeep is still on the original sensors
The system is self learning, no programming tool needed like on some makes (like our Subaru) when you change sensors
The system gives individual tire read outs (our Subaru does not)
I have a second set of tires for winter on steel rims for the Subaru and Jeeps, for the Subaru I had to buy a programming tool and use it each time I change over.

Chrysler/Jeep doesn't do everything right by a long shot but their TPMS system is superior:
My 2007 Jeep is still on the original sensors
The system is self learning, no programming tool needed like on some makes (like our Subaru) when you change sensors
The system gives individual tire read outs (our Subaru does not)
I have a second set of tires for winter on steel rims for the Subaru and Jeeps, for the Subaru I had to buy a programming tool and use it each time I change over.
Probably using Mercedes technology.

Back