Amazon Music

I pay for Google Music (now Youtube Red) and tried out Amazon music and Tidal when I was trial'ing other music platforms. I didn't like their interface overall (subscribing, playlist, etc.) Despite the fact you can buy music outright from Amazon, I would rather pay a monthly subscription to Google Music/Youtube Red and get an unlimited amount of songs. Last time I paid for music was in the Microsoft Zune program before that got changed into Groove.

When I dumped SiriusXM a couple years ago I tried Amazon Music for a weekend since I am Prime to see how it worked and it was clunky at best, sounded ok and liked I could play the list I built but I was also using the free version of Pandora which was much better. I eventually decided that $4.99 a month for the unlimited skipping at Pandora was the way to go for me.

I was able to locate some of my music that saved onto my SD card where I downloaded the Amazon songs. I was able to get them to play through the YouTube music player app that used to be Google music. I don't have the premium but most of the songs I could just highlight them and click on them after opening my settings and looking through the storage to find the music files. Kind of a pain in the butt.

If you're someone who tends to listen to all or most of an album. I'll go against the grain and recommend buying the physical CD, ripping it to iTunes, and transferring it to your iPhone from there.

As for purchasing individual songs, I've done it but someone else will surely be able to describe it better. I'm still not a fan of owning things digitally. Insert "old man yells at cloud" meme here.
Never tried iTunes - work on a PC?

Yes I have a ton of CDs

How expensive to buy the albums you want at garage sales and flea markets? rip to mp3, put onto phone or a player of some sort.
Thus my comment about Winamp. I did this decades ago… I’ve bought many albums at least once already. I don’t need to pay recurring costs to play what I own.

amazon just expanded the prime music from 2million to aprox 100 million songs or so they say (unpaid)
Yeah, except you can’t select and play what you want. Forced shuffle. Exactly my point.

I couldn’t care less if there’s 100M songs if it includes rap and Gregorian chants, and music in other languages and whatever else.

Plenty of ways to get and/or stream anything you want for free. Of course if you don't want to take advantage of the nice record companies you should just pay and be thankful.
Point was that Amazon offered a service I liked and worked. Sure I can get it another way. If nothing else you can play lots of music over YouTube by the track.

Amazon playing what you wanted, when you wanted, without needing to be up on the screen was nice.

Same. Used to use it, but dumped it a while back. Even bought one of their cheap tablets. It was useless but it did play their music - back when you could play what you wanted.

Honestly I am moving back to old school after streaming for a decade. Picking up used CD's on the cheap and ripping them. Even started grabbing some of my favorite shows and movies on DVD, since a lot of content that used to be free is now paid.

Maybe Elon will add free music to the blue checkmark :LOL:

Point was that Amazon offered a service I liked and worked. Sure I can get it another way. If nothing else you can play lots of music over YouTube by the track.

Amazon playing what you wanted, when you wanted, without needing to be up on the screen was nice.
I'm not sure what the downside is what am I missing? Still not paying for it and 50x the songs.
you can still make a playlist and search?

Their old algorithm take about 10% of my favorite songs and delist them every 2-3 months... to try and get you to buy unlimited?.. or so it seemed.

I'm not sure what the downside is what am I missing? Still not paying for it and 50x the songs.
you can still make a playlist and search?

Their old algorithm take about 10% of my favorite songs and delist them every 2-3 months... to try and get you to buy unlimited?.. or so it seemed.
The issue is I didn’t use Amazon Music like the radio (you get what you get, period), or like Pandora (you put in an artist or genre and get associated similar music.

Amazon music let me play the song I wanted, when I wanted it. It let me download songs to play on an airplane.

Now if I choose a song, it doesn’t play it. It plays something like it. No guarantees it will ever play the intended song. It turned into pandora. Not what I wanted. And to undo it, they want more money on top of what I pay for prime.

I used to be annoyed by music services that were “free” including Amazon and Spotify . Then got into ripping cds to mp3 etc. What a waste of time .

However finally realized life is too short to gripe about a $15/month fee for family Spotify.

The asses gripe about not getting royalties and the providers make it a pain in the arcjet to actually listen to music.

At home asking that Amazon girl Alexa or whatever her name is to play prime music works, or I pop a CD in. No it doesn't work because if the wife is doing FREE Spotify on one Alexa in the main house, the one in the shop screws that all up if I ask her to play a Prime LP or song.

Traveling or even on my back 40, I ain't got jack.

THERE has to be a better way.

Not a Spotify fan, but maybe $15 is worth it.....

Now if I choose a song, it doesn’t play it. It plays something like it. No guarantees it will ever play the intended song. It turned into pandora. Not what I wanted. And to undo it, they want more money on top of what I pay for prime.
I dont know what I'm doing wrong. I have 4000 songs in a library I play, I can ask her to play Rammstein and it plays?
Alexa play " still counting" Playing still counting from your library. etc.

I can use the app search rammstien and it plays 50+ songs by them?
Seems pretty functional for free?

You can also turn off "autoplay" keep listening to similar tracks when your music ends

Edit: ok so I figured out my failure.. I have 12 months free unlimited. *lol*

Last edited:
I dont know what I'm doing wrong. I have 4000 songs in a library I play, I can ask her to play Rammstein and it plays?

Do you have more than one Alexa device?

You can also turn off "autoplay" keep listening to similar tracks when your music ends

Edit: ok so I figured out my failure.. I have 12 months free unlimited. *lol*

That 12 months would change things. They claim all this great value from adding to the catalog… but you can’t use the catalog for free.

So if I want to hear du hast by Rammstein, it plays Benzin, Amerika, Engel, Sonne, and then maybe at some point the song that was requested…. And probably a bunch of other music you may or may not know or want to hear, mixed in too…

I am getting sort of done with all this streaming stuff. When we started streaming with Amazon you could rent content for I think 48 hours, or "buy" the content for a little more money so you could watch it again in the future. I "purchased" a bunch of my favorite series figuring I would watch now, then maybe watch again in a couple years. Well Amazon lost the rights to said content, so I no longer have access to it. So I presume it was in the fine print somewhere but it was still dirty.

Be darned if I am giving the same bunch $15 bucks a month or whatever. I'll pay apple music or Spotify first.

Forced Shuffle= they have new artists the record companies are bribing them to make you listen to.

I dropped Prime a year ago when it became obvious the stuff I'd be buying (spark plugs) was counterfeit, and the shipping time seven days instead of the promised two.

Back