Amazon Music

JHZR2

Staff member
Anyone use it? I used to, a lot. Loved it. Sure, the catalog wasn't huge for the free stuff, and sometimes a tune you wanted wasn’t available without unlimited. That’s something I’m unwilling to pay for.

Now they claim they’ve expanded the free music by a huge amount, but it’s all forced shuffle. All the music I downloaded for offline play I can’t access. Apparently you can download playlists, but that’s not really what I want.

It’s really all in the hope to get you to pay $8.99 per month (!) for unlimited. No thanks. Much of what I listen to I own on cassette and/or cd. I’m not paying the thieving music companies yet again for what I’ve already bought and own.

Guess it’s time to go back to putting mp3 on my iPhone.

Anyone else hate this forced shuffling? I can go to pandora if I wanted that. Very annoyed…

I use Amazon and iHeart apps. I like the Amazon music app mostly for podcasts, they carry a lot of my favorites. The music shuffle is pretty decent I think. I had a free trial of the pay version, it was nice, but I wouldn't pay for it. The free version is fine.

There are a couple albums I used to listen to on Amazon Music that were free, but now are premium only. This happened a couple weeks ago.

I get your point and you also see their point. There has to be a reason to entice you to upgrade. Realistically, you're not their target demographic.

My understanding is that the entire collection is included with the Prime subscription at no upcharge. This is a massive increase, but it goes into the current culture of curated content. If you want control of your content, you have to pay.

I get your point and you also see their point. There has to be a reason to entice you to upgrade. Realistically, you're not their target demographic.

My understanding is that the entire collection is included with the Prime subscription at no upcharge. This is a massive increase, but it goes into the current culture of curated content. If you want control of your content, you have to pay.
No I don’t see their point. They offered playlists before. So does Pandora and probably others. The benefit was that I could play what I wanted so long as it was in the free catalog, when I wanted to, without issue.

You can’t even skip, at least after like two times. They played some obnoxious Korn song on a “playlist”, and I couldn’t even get off of it or downvote.

Having millions of tracks of garbage or stuff I have no interest in is not value added.

Removing downloaded tracks that I could play offline on an airplane, and forcing me instead to download playlists that I don’t want is a waste of bandwidth.

Expecting me to pay $8.99/month, on top of prime, to play the tracks I want, and in many cases have already paid for on cassette and cd, often bought through Amazon, is ridiculous and offensive. It’s just a money grab by the thieving music industry and Amazon, and I don’t care to have a part in it.

Back to my ripped mp3 I guess.

Do they make Winamp for the iPhone? :)

077203C6-02BD-45D0-84FF-687CFCE2DEB5.png

This is what they do. Click on a track in your library, and it doesn’t play. You get this stupid sales notification to sign up. Sometimes like in the case above, it’s something I don’t mind hearing in the shuffle. Often it’s a bunch of stuff that I don’t. And you can’t downvote those or skip more than once or twice. I hope folks all submit feedback that this sucks, and not sign up for their service.

I can go to pandora if I want playlists that I have no control over.

So they're making a direct Pandora (free) competitor, just not as smooth. I haven't used Pandora for years, currently on Apple Music and was previously on Amazon Unlimited, however, I remember that you could only skip a handful of times in a given hour or so.

I used to use Winamp to load music on my iPod Classic. I'd assume that you could do the same with an iPhone, but I don't know for sure.

One of the few things that I pay for is Spotify. A family account is $16/month and I can listen to any song I want anytime. I listen to music at least 3 hours per day so its worth it to me.

I understand your frustration. I am right there with you on streaming music that plays junk I just don't want to hear. I also think it is not good to pay a streamer to listen to music I already own. That is why I don't use Spotify or Iheart Premium. I do have Pandora Plus, have been with Pandora for a very long time and they know what I like. I listen to it during the day at work and in the car. Terrestrial radio here where I live is pretty bad, mostly obnoxious commercials and I prefer commercial free Pandora so I don't mind paying $5.00 a month for that. I also like being able to fine tune Pandora to play songs that are not so well known or mainstream. I never have understood Amazon Music and don't really care for it now. This new gimmick they have now is just that, a gimmick to get people to buy their premium service.

If I want to hear an album or a particular song chances are it will be on the free Youtube Music site. Youtube Music also has playlists based on the genres and bands that I have listened to but I don't listen to those much at all. There is also a new release playlist, much the same as Spotify has, but it is pretty rare that there is anything on it that I am interested in. I don't care for most modern rock music. Once in a great while a band will release a good record and if I like it well enough I will buy it. Winamp has its place and a lot of people like it but I prefer Media Monkey for listening to my mp3 library. MM is just easier to use and has a better GUI and tone adjustments.

There are a couple albums I used to listen to on Amazon Music that were free, but now are premium only. This happened a couple weeks ago.
And I also noticed they really pulled back the reins as far as what songs you can buy for a dollar 29 a piece. Now you can't buy the MP3.

How expensive to buy the albums you want at garage sales and flea markets? rip to mp3, put onto phone or a player of some sort.

I got a lot of great albums for free by checking out CD's from about five different local libraries here. I used Itunes to rip them all to mp3. I don't use Itunes now though. I also buy mp3 songs and albums cheap on mp3million com. You can buy songs on there for less than ten cents each. Full albums are usually less than a dollar. Mp3million is based in Russia so some people might not want to buy anything there. I have had an account there for a long time, never had any trouble at all with it.

I also don't like the user experience in the free version, but as others have said, it's bait to get you to pay for the upgrade. Rip your CDs in iTunes and put them on your phone. Problem solved.

I say this as someone who pays for SiriusXM because I semi-regularly drive outside of cell coverage. The inane talk radio show filler on some of the music stations makes me want to throw the receiver out of my vehicle window, but they're the only game in town that does what they do.

OK I am paying money for this. So..........

Can someone (PLEASE) tell me how to download songs to my iPhone and play them later?

Step by step. TIA
If you're someone who tends to listen to all or most of an album. I'll go against the grain and recommend buying the physical CD, ripping it to iTunes, and transferring it to your iPhone from there.

As for purchasing individual songs, I've done it but someone else will surely be able to describe it better. I'm still not a fan of owning things digitally. Insert "old man yells at cloud" meme here.

Prime customer here. I used to use amazon music daily in the car. Now the forced shuffle and no skips thing makes it unlistenable.

If you search for an artist, it rarely plays their songs, it just plays songs in a similar genre.

Hate it.

Plenty of ways to get and/or stream anything you want for free. Of course if you don't want to take advantage of the nice record companies you should just pay and be thankful.

I used to hate to pay, still dont like it but we do now and use it a lot.
Apple Music, awesome sound quality, we are very particular and you can select different levels of quality right up to lossless.
Love the interface glitch free.

Back