Amazon Firestick - 3rd Gen

JC1

Since I've got firesticks on all my TVs and I'm still running 1 TV on the 1st generation firestick, I decided to purchase one of the new 3rd generation firesticks. This is using an all new processor.

Specs online are as follows:
The second-generation Fire TV Stick comes equipped with a Quad-Core ARM 1.3 GHz processor. The third-generation Fire TV Sticks, along with the Fire TV 4K, are equipped with a Quad-Core 1.7 GHz processor, which is 50% more powerful than the CPU from the previous generation Fire TV Stick.

I'm finding the firestick switches between channels much faster compared to the second generation. Just wanted to post this if anyone was interested.

Yeah, Firestick 3rd Gen uses the same CPU as my Firestick 4K. Overall response is pretty good.

The only crippling spec is the internal storage space (8GB) - you're going to run out of it rather fast if you start installing additional apps. I am using an external USB drive to alleviate the problem.

I need another but is this basic or with the TV stuff on it?
The model I bought is the 1080p version. I download the apps I used onto it. What are you looking for?

If you head over to YouTube you see all sorts of posts for many 3rd party apps you can install for streaming.

Wait a sec---you mean the newest (3rd gen) are NOT 4K? I thought that would give the clearest screen. Or are the 3gen better than the 4K?

They offer 4k and a 1080p stick and they also have a new Lite stick (1080p but no volume control). I have a first gen stick for one of my Tvs and no volume control is a pain for me.

The one I bought is a 1080p (I don't have any 4k tvs and I'm not in the market for a new TV). Price difference is $10 between between the 4k and 1080p (on sale).

I bought one 4k stick last black Friday, using it on my 65 inch tv. By the time I do get a 4k tv, they probably will have a newer model. I'm not sure how much 4k content is currently offered in Prime or Netflix.

We have a 1080 already, and thought upgrading to a 4K would give us a clearer screen and less lagging. Hmmm I'll look at the TV and see what kind of TV we have, its about 10 years old but it is HD.

We have a 1080 already, and thought upgrading to a 4K would give us a clearer screen and less lagging. Hmmm I'll look at the TV and see what kind of TV we have, its about 10 years old but it is HD.
The 1080p stick is pretty clear depending on what you are streaming. If you want the 4k stick the extra $10 cost isnt too bad.

If your tv is 10 years old it's going to be a 1080p display.

The one I bought is a 1080p (I don't have any 4k tvs and I'm not in the market for a new TV). Price difference is $10 between between the 4k and 1080p (on sale).

Looks like the 1080p is $28 and the 4K is $30 right now on Amazon. I think I paid $25 for the 4K a few months ago. At that time, the 4K had a faster CPU, so that's why I chose it even though I don't have a 4K TV.

Reactions: JC1
Because the 4K stick now uses the same CPU as the regular 3rd gen Firestick, you really will not notice any difference as far as lag or picture quality on your 1080p TV.

The new 4K firestick is lightning fast compared to the 1st generation. I have a 3rd generation fire cube and 4K firestick. Completely satisified and then some with both. I actually threw my 1st generation fire stick in the trash.

Reactions: JC1
OK thanks for clarifying that. I might just get the 4K in the event that we do upgrade our tv, since they are so close in price.

At any event, either one sounds like a nice upgrade over our current 2Gen.

Because the 4K stick now uses the same CPU as the regular 3rd gen Firestick, you really will not notice any difference as far as lag or picture quality on your 1080p TV.

Yeah, Firestick 3rd Gen uses the same CPU as my Firestick 4K. Overall response is pretty good.

The only crippling spec is the internal storage space (8GB) - you're going to run out of it rather fast if you start installing additional apps. I am using an external USB drive to alleviate the problem.

what are you loading!?

what are you loading!?
Dunno... I've installed about 10 different apps altogether, maybe?

I'm also running a 3rd party launcher to avoid all the Amazon bloatware and ads and make the UI simple and uncluttered, kind of like Roku UI. The sad part is, I still prefer to use Roku on a regular basis. The only reason I picked up the Firestick was for the ability to install 3rd party apps.

I got myself a new TCL 4k Qled and with the 4k firestick, you can really see the difference in picture quality over the1080p content.

Just upgraded my 2nd gen Firestick to a the 4k version. Don't have a 4k TV but needed something that could direct stream HEVC from my media server (which the 2nd gen couldn't). The 3rd gen and the 4k are very similar in specs but the 4k does have a little more RAM so I went with that model (only a couple bucks more at the time).

Just upgraded my 2nd gen Firestick to a the 4k version. Don't have a 4k TV but needed something that could direct stream HEVC from my media server (which the 2nd gen couldn't). The 3rd gen and the 4k are very similar in specs but the 4k does have a little more RAM so I went with that model (only a couple bucks more at the time).
In really surprised at the picture quality of content on my 4k TCL TV with the firestick. Even some IPTV sports are very clear. Glad you are enjoying the firestick. The processor speed makes a big different in loading apps and changing channels. There is supposed to be a UI interface change coming soon as well.

Back