Amazing real life story.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mate just told me that his drain plug drop out at the intersection(the motorist behind inform him), then he decide to drive all the way home which is about 10min away with no oil....

The amazing thing is his engine is fine after he bought himself another drain plug and fill it up with new engine oil. How long exactly can a engine runs before it seize without oil? this is simply amazing...

Except for the water I did such to a mid 70s T/Bird with a 460 years and years ago.NO oil and no oil filter.The smoke was so bad it gagged several of us and got unbearable.It ran and ran and ran with NO OIL.Tried blowing/locking it up for like 45 minutes.It never did lock or blow up.I think a lot of motors will do the same.Not just a Honda.

The engine will run until the metal to metal contact creates enough heat to destroy the bearings/other moving parts and it all welds up and or throws a rod.Some engines are more tolerant that others,but all eventually become junk if run long enough.
Remember "Slick 50"? Remember the salesmen that carried a 2 hp Briggs and Stratton engine with no oil in it but treated with "Slick 50"? The engine had a small window in the crankcase so you could see the crank and see it had no oil at all.The salesman walked around with the engine at idle while he hawked his product.
A friend of mine ran a truck repair garage,had a "Slick 50" demonstration and was supect of the whole thing.This was around 1980.He called Briggs and Stratton and asked them about this demonstration engine.A Briggs engineer returned his his call,said someting like this "At idle there is so little stress on the small engine,it can run for 1/2 an hour at normal room temperature without siezing,no Slick 50 necessary."

Seize is one thing, but bearing damage is another. I'll bet some bearing damage has occured, but may not show up for a while.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Seize is one thing, but bearing damage is another. I'll bet some bearing damage has occured, but may not show up for a while.

Agree. No engine is going to be the same if you run it without oil or coolant. No oil, additive or snake oil is going to prevent problems or reduce the damage...

Bill

Ten minutes isn't too bad, especially if the engine kept cool and the cooling system was still intact. Now, I wouldn't want to drive an F1 without oil for ten minutes or so...

I think it was the thick oil they spec in Australia
wink.gif
No 5w20 watery stuff... I'm sure all the 20W50 he had in there didn't even drain out by the time he got home...
wink.gif

Wow, I'd think someone buying redline would know better. On the other hand if you had to pick an oil to pull a stunt like this, redline would be one of the front runners...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back