Amazing OEM Price Difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Gebo
, I am only gonna use Toyota/Lexus parts. Don't try and change my mind as my jaw is set like flint. There are a few things I'm set on.

It's the die hard OEM part buyers that these fake parts are trying to take advantage of. And there is no guarantee that a dealer will not have these fake parts. Sort of like banks having fake bills.
As you noted yourself, these counterfeit parts are getting better and better and I hardly doubt dealers are really scrutinizing the parts they source.

Good aftermarket parts, on the other hand, are much safer in that regards. It's much less lucrative to fake aftermarket, which is already at a much lower price than OEM.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
, I am only gonna use Toyota/Lexus parts. Don't try and change my mind as my jaw is set like flint. There are a few things I'm set on.

It's the die hard OEM part buyers that these fake parts are trying to take advantage of. And there is no guarantee that a dealer will not have these fake parts. Sort of like banks having fake bills.
As you noted yourself, these counterfeit parts are getting better and better and I hardly doubt dealers are really scrutinizing the parts they source.

Good aftermarket parts, on the other hand, are much safer in that regards. It's much less lucrative to fake aftermarket, which is already at a much lower price than OEM.

Point taken. You can never be sure.

I still like my odds purchasing from a dealer.

I'm not following here. If you buy parts from a dealer that are supposed to be genuine, at genuine part prices, they aren't going to be fakes.

The fakes are coming from individual eBay and Amazon sellers without a dealer affiliation.

Last edited:

Point taken. You can never be sure.

I still like my odds purchasing from a dealer.

For sure.
Ebay has been used by thieves, scammers and other criminals since it's inception. Amazon started off well, but sadly seems to be heading that way too.

Originally Posted by brages

I'm not following here. If you buy parts from a dealer that are supposed to be genuine, at genuine part prices, they aren't going to be fakes.

The fakes are coming from individual eBay and Amazon sellers without a dealer affiliation.

Dealers have a supply chain. So all it takes is one "wise guy" along that chain to try and make few bucks on the side. Like buy one of these kits off of ebay and make a switch with a genuine part.

Its not really clear to me if the Amazon posting claimed that it was OEM parts, or if your search also yielded cheap aftermarket parts.

Dealers have a supply chain. So all it takes is one "wise guy" along that chain to try and make few bucks on the side. Like buy one of these kits off of ebay and make a switch with a genuine part.

This is true. However, for Toyota parts, there is always a rectangular label on the box. The label should show the name of the dealer with the dealer code and the Toyota distribution center that the part was originally shipped from. If you special ordered the part, it may sometimes list your name as well. So, if the part is missing that label, it is a clue that something is amiss.

You seem to have missed the point, which is something most of us deal with on a regular basis:

1) "Sometimes" there are specific parts, where only the OEM are going to last a long time.

2) "Most" of the time, the two extremes, cheap generic, or dealer OEM parts, are both very bad values, particularly when the OEM parts you're getting are worth about half the value of the 20+ year old car.

$400+ for the parts you listed is absurd. Even $194 isn't alarmingly inexpensive for major brand parts, but of course, you still have to be aware of those selling low quality parts marked up to major brand prices. That is NOT a reason to avoid the major brand aftermarket parts which are fine for those listed. Will a dealer try to pretend their parts are extra special? Of course, they have to in order to get away with over 200% markup. Again, some OEM parts really are better, but simply declaring it's going to be all OEM is a bad move on a 20+ y/o vehicle, makes no sense to pour more into it than its worth which will soon happen at this rate!

I just hope you are donating these parts to this poor church lady instead of taking it on yourself to impose extra money she should pay to fix a $1K value (no make that $600 because you're putting $400 of parts into it) vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Davejam
Its not really clear to me if the Amazon posting claimed that it was OEM parts, or if your search also yielded cheap aftermarket parts.

Really? Really?

It was on eBay.
I may not be very bright but I ain't stupid.
I do know how to check boxes. LOL

Originally Posted by Dave9
You seem to have missed the point, which is something most of us deal with on a regular basis:

1) "Sometimes" there are specific parts, where only the OEM are going to last a long time.

2) "Most" of the time, the two extremes, cheap generic, or dealer OEM parts, are both very bad values, particularly when the OEM parts you're getting are worth about half the value of the 20+ year old car.

$400+ for the parts you listed is absurd. Even $194 isn't alarmingly inexpensive for major brand parts, but of course, you still have to be aware of those selling low quality parts marked up to major brand prices. That is NOT a reason to avoid the major brand aftermarket parts which are fine for those listed. Will a dealer try to pretend their parts are extra special? Of course, they have to in order to get away with over 200% markup. Again, some OEM parts really are better, but simply declaring it's going to be all OEM is a bad move on a 20+ y/o vehicle, makes no sense to pour more into it than its worth which will soon happen at this rate!

I just hope you are donating these parts to this poor church lady instead of taking it on yourself to impose extra money she should pay to fix a $1K value (no make that $600 because you're putting $400 of parts into it) vehicle.

My point was informational only.

I wasn't seeking advice. I assure y'all, I'll spend my money any way I want. I don't need anyone telling me how to spend my money. I'm pretty specific in asking for advice and assistance when I desire it.

I actually bought her the car last year.

For crying out loud. I will not respond any more.

happy2.gif

...and I hardly doubt dealers are really scrutinizing the parts they source.

I may be wrong, but I would have thought that dealers are only allowed to buy from ONE supplier/source, the company that they represent. Dealers aren't buying OEM parts off the internet from the cheapest places they can find them.

Manufacturers also have a supply chain. And likewise one "wise guy" in the supply chain could result in NEW cars being made with fake or defective parts. Yet this doesn't happen because the legitimate supply chain is enforcing quality and the suppliers have too much to lose.

Do you think a Toyota dealer is getting its water pumps from Aisin or Yamata or whomever or from Toyota itself?

Last edited:
One other comment...

It often recommended here to get an Aisin kit from Rockauto, and I think that's good advice, too. BUT you have to be careful with Rockauto - it's quite possible to get something in your box that's not what you expected.

In my case, I ordered two Mevotech Supreme control arms. The left arm was as expected, but the right arm... inside the correct box was another left arm and it was not a Mevotech Supreme. Probably a return that was incorrectly reboxed, maybe it was from Mevotech's cheaper line. If you look online, this kind of stuff happens ALL THE TIME with Rockauto.

And they fixed the error for me, but it's easy to imagine how you could unwittingly install low-quality parts if you didn't know what you were looking for. In my case, I had the correct part to compare it to.

Originally Posted by brages

Manufacturers also have a supply chain. And likewise one "wise guy" in the supply chain could result in NEW cars being made with fake or defective parts. Yet this doesn't happen because the legitimate supply chain is enforcing quality and the suppliers have too much to lose.

Do you think a Toyota dealer is getting its water pumps from Aisin or Yamata or whomever or from Toyota itself?

How would you know it doesn't happen? There are plenty of early failures in brand new vehicles. Some of these failures could be from counterfeit parts, but the general public would know nothing of it and would think nothing of it since the warranty would take care of it. Why do you think many of the failed parts have to be sent back to the manufacturer? I can assure you the first thing they check is if the failed part is OE.
But my argument was more for the field not the factory. It is much easier to introduce counterfeit parts in the field simply because they have to go through many more hands.

It did happen in my previous employment, which was aerospace, and they had to add laser etched ID matrix and all sorts of other controls to deal with the issue. And it was still not 100% and sometimes a counterfeit part would be received, but because of all the extra steps, it would be caught at the factory. In the field it would happen more often.

Last edited:

Really? Really?

It was on eBay.
I may not be very bright but I ain't stupid.
I do know how to check boxes. LOL

I didn't realize Ebay had that option, it wasn't clear if it was Ebay or Amazon and Amazon doesn't have that option to my knowledge.
So point taken. Buyer beware.

There are a few things I'm set on.

Michelin tires

Are you still pleased with your Toyo tires?

I can't believe that this country doesn't have every household screaming that they will stop buying as much chinese products as possible. I guess Americans will never learn a lesson.

Originally Posted by Kira
OK, you ferreted out the best and smartest way to procure parts. Sincere congrats!

Now for the "lady from church". Is she a customer at a real shop or someone for whom you're doing a favor?

I ask because her finances may be....behind the times. Is she expecting a $34 repair bill?

just askin'

Am I detecting a "tude"?

I do not deserve any congrats. I did not ferret anything out. Just trying to offer some wisdom to those of us who want to purchase OEM parts, that's all.

As far as the lady, most people here know I am a Pastor that helps widows and single Moms in our church. Primarily with car repairs and maintenance. She knows nothing about anything I have done. She doesn't even know she needs a timing belt done.

Don't add to or take away
thumbsup2.gif
from the text.

Funny. I am the one working on my pastors stuff. He gets the cheap stuff. They are older well used vehicles.

You never know with replacement parts. Just because you're paying 3x as much doesn't necessarily mean the quality is that much better.

Originally Posted by The Critic

This is true. However, for Toyota parts, there is always a rectangular label on the box. The label should show the name of the dealer with the dealer code and the Toyota distribution center that the part was originally shipped from. If you special ordered the part, it may sometimes list your name as well. So, if the part is missing that label, it is a clue that something is amiss.

Good to see Toyota taking steps to minimize the risk. I remember reading years ago that counterfeit parts was a real problem in Germany and their dealer and service centers. So this is a problem not just for online shoppers.

Edit:
Here is a pretty good article about the problem and it's just for electronics. And it is a manufacturer's supply chain problem. The companies that make counterfeit parts don't do it just to sell few on ebay or other online retailers to a DIYer with their 10-15 years old car.

The proliferation of counterfeit electronic parts into the manufacturing supply chain costs the U.S. government and its contractors billions each year.

But the problem is not just limited to those who supply government agencies. Recent reports show consumer and industrial businesses are losing approximately $250 billion each year because of counterfeit components.

One report notes the automotive industry alone lost $3 billion in sales, while another shows the semiconductor industry takes a $75 billion annual hit.

https://www.industryweek.com/supply...ime-bomb-of-counterfeit-electronic-parts

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back