Amazing OEM Price Difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by thooks
I can't believe that this country doesn't have every household screaming that they will stop buying as much chinese products as possible. I guess Americans will never learn a lesson.

+1

Any product in demand is counterfeited. One of the products I used to sell was counterfeited from China and even here in the US. Anybody use Frontline on their dogs or cats? Some were so good that our HQ had trouble detecting it. The product didn't work and neither do all the generals out there today.

No churches open here. All the pastors are bemoaning about lost envelopes revenue. Seems only half of the flock are supporting financially now.
Mighty kind of you to buy her that car. I love to read 'feel good' stories like this one.

Thanks Gebo, you made my day.
thumbsup2.gif

not sure why you'd pay $500 for dealer parts when your local preferred auto parts chain has lifetime warranty kits in stock that are totally fine for 1/2 of the price or less. it's an old car.

Originally Posted by dogememe
not sure why you'd pay $500 for dealer parts when your local preferred auto parts chain has lifetime warranty kits in stock that are totally fine for 1/2 of the price or less. it's an old car.

My local O'Reilly's shows an "Import Direct" kit in-stock for $166.99 - curious if you can provide us with some details on the components included with this kit. Usually those kits have a chinese water pump, which tends to be the weakest link. This is why many people choose to buy a timing belt components from the dealer or use an Aisin kit from RockAuto (which ships from Parts Authority/IMC).

Last edited:
I can't believe that this country doesn't have every household screaming that they will stop buying as much chinese products as possible. I guess Americans will never learn a lesson.

You mean like the masks I just bought from China because no one here in the US is making them for sale to the general public? (Aliexpress, there's about 370k vendors selling them although many are probably just drop shipping them from someone else.)

Anyway, a couple years ago I bought an MB hood star. They're all basically the same, fits many models. Got it on eBay and it said it was OEM and all that. Was about $20 where the cheapest online was normally close to $40. I figured that you can't screw up a hood ornament that bad and just figure the OEM one was just overpriced. Got it and it didn't fit. Had to take a part of the old one to make it fit. From looking at it, looks like they took a mold of an original one and made it a little too big or maybe it was the last one in the run. Anyway, complained and they knocked $10 off so it only cost me $10. Should have returned it as it's not holding up well, starting to rust out a little and the spring isn't that strong so I'll probably have to get another one and I guess I'll have to get a real OEM one. I had already taken apart the old one and didn't want to put it all back together again to ship it back. It came in the OEM box and all too, just that it shipped from China so it was a fake. Ebay too. MB sells lots of cars in China too so I figured it could have been real. Guess I should have gone with a real vendor.

Frequently, there is simply no alternative. Nothing else is available anywhere at any price.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

You mean like the masks I just bought from China because no one here in the US is making them for sale to the general public? (Aliexpress, there's about 370k vendors selling them although many are probably just drop shipping them from someone else.)

Anyway, a couple years ago I bought an MB hood star. They're all basically the same, fits many models. Got it on eBay and it said it was OEM and all that. Was about $20 where the cheapest online was normally close to $40. I figured that you can't screw up a hood ornament that bad and just figure the OEM one was just overpriced. Got it and it didn't fit. Had to take a part of the old one to make it fit. From looking at it, looks like they took a mold of an original one and made it a little too big or maybe it was the last one in the run. Anyway, complained and they knocked $10 off so it only cost me $10. Should have returned it as it's not holding up well, starting to rust out a little and the spring isn't that strong so I'll probably have to get another one and I guess I'll have to get a real OEM one. I had already taken apart the old one and didn't want to put it all back together again to ship it back. It came in the OEM box and all too, just that it shipped from China so it was a fake. Ebay too. MB sells lots of cars in China too so I figured it could have been real. Guess I should have gone with a real vendor.

Junkyard.

Originally Posted by JTK
You never know with replacement parts. Just because you're paying 3x as much doesn't necessarily mean the quality is that much better.

It's hard, maybe impossible, to know.

BUT these fakes are really bad. I've seen pics of failed timing belts in a few thousand miles from a fake Honda eBay belt kit.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Originally Posted by Audios
Its possible that these are OEM Toyota China parts. We often see VW Shanghai and UFI China come in the OEM boxes.

They have Toyotas in China, too. So it is possible that these are OEM.

I have dealt with this searching for OE Honda parts also. There is OE made in China parts intended for sale in China only that get gray marketed out and sold outside of China. They will usually be properly OE and Made in China marked. These should not be confused as true counterfeits but fall in between counterfeits and correct market sold OE parts.

Why are you blaming average Americans for this? Everyone just keeps repeating the same lie that it's the American consumer's fault. It is not. Killing off American jobs and shipping them to China and other poor countries started happening shortly after WWII. It was deliberately a very slow process that first started with things that the average consumer would not notice, like steel industry. Back then an average consumer bought nothing made in China, but steel and other raw materials were already being shipped from there.
Now, look what had happened when the current president said we have to do something about our trade deficit with China. All of the sudden doom and gloom predictions popped up that he will destroy US economy, start a war and other nonsense. Was the backlash the doing of an average American consumer too?

It's quite clear to anyone that looks beyond the headlines that global economy is being pushed onto the consumer, not the other way around.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by Wolf359

Junkyard.

The problem with the junkyard part is that you can't see it if you just mail order it. They can get tweaked or get a little rusty and it's not worth the savings to drive to a few junkyards to save $10. I know a new one will last 6-10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back