Amazing Amazon

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
This morning I discovered that a pan I needed to prepare a dish for our holiday dinner was not in my apartment. I may have loaned it to someone ... oh well, I didn't have an acceptable substitute and I had a meeting that was going to take up my entire morning, so shopping locally was out of the question.

I checked with Amazon, they had what I needed and wanted, and a short while ago, less than 14 hours from placing the order, the item was delivered and placed right into my hands. I am pleased and surprised! And one small stress from preparing dinner has been alleviated.

Just placed an order 60 seconds ago for some things, including baking dishes as well, that will be delivered tomorrow morning.

I cared for my elderly father, along with our home care giver, for more than 5 years. Amazon Prime 2 day (and less) shipping made it doable. It allowed me to keep my Silicon Valley job and spend time every day with him. Awesome.

For once I bought all the ingredients for the dish I'm making to take to our Thanksgiving dinner a couple weeks ago instead of waiting till like the day before like I usually do haha!:D

Reactions: GON
This morning I discovered that a pan I needed to prepare a dish for our holiday dinner was not in my apartment. I may have loaned it to someone ... oh well, I didn't have an acceptable substitute and I had a meeting that was going to take up my entire morning, so shopping locally was out of the question.

I checked with Amazon, they had what I needed and wanted, and a short while ago, less than 14 hours from placing the order, the item was delivered and placed right into my hands. I am pleased and surprised! And one small stress from preparing dinner has been alleviated.
I just did the same thing. Needed a deep skillet and it will be here tomorrow.

Super convenient and not having to leave the house & deal with lines/people is a plus these days as most as possible. That alone makes it perfect to have Amazon Prime -- although I like Amazon Prime movies also.

Reactions: Bud
Lately the more it seems Amazon has the item I want, (and can deliver quickly and effortlessly), the less places like Wal-Mart have these same items in stock, like they used to. They're all trying to play the Amazon game by having less in store shelf inventory. They just seem to always have a problem doing it so successfully. In fact they're driving Amazon's success.

I can't count the times I couldn't find simple items that I wanted, from places like Wal-Mart. And instead came home, and went straight to the desktop, and ordered it from Amazon..... And had it the next day.

I'm looking at buying stuff right now, and nothing will be delivered until at least Sunday. How many days are they taking off for Thanksgiving?

What happened to Friday and Saturday?

Last edited:
When I lived in Austin we would have 2 hour delivery on many things. I would get a router delivered to the door instead of driving up to best buy. Now here in San Antonio I am out a little further, so we are starting to get "overnight" delivery.

If you order something by 5pm, they will dump it on your porch between 2am and 5am.

We have about 200 orders in this year, but starting to move towards Walmart on a lot of items, as Amazon has a lot of junky stuff also.

Walmart is engaged with favor and other shipping companies to drop items from the store on your doorstep in two hours, for free. We had a shop vac dropped the other day in two hours by a favor dude contracted by walmart.

I needed some chicago screws so I could wack off four inches off my leather belt, spent a Saturday morning driving around only to find out nobody in town had any. Went home jumped on the PC and Amazon had them at my door Sunday afternoon ;)

It's a far cry from what Amazon started off doing. Their initial business model was in selling books where they saved money by just being an agent for the publisher, and the publisher would directly ship to the consumer. I remember their commercials in the late 90s where supposedly someone from Amazon calls up the Rose Bowl asking if they might be able to rent it out to warehouse all the books they sell. But eventually they went to regional warehouses. But none in California as they were trying to avoid forcing their customers to pay California sales tax on purchases. And now they're stocking so much stuff in regional warehouses that they can even do same day delivery.

3-1/2 hours for a delivery is the fastest we've seen. In all honesty, I don't know that we've ever asked for or needed same-day delivery. Next-day delivery is pretty normal/common for us depending on the item obviously.

amz-3.jpg
amz-2.jpg

Back