Am I the only Mobil 1 hater here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by JPowers:
I really wish you people would make up your mind!
rolleyes.gif
Back when Tri-Scamthetic came out there was talk that Mobil had joined Castol since they lost the court case. I started using Redline, and although my car is modified and driven hard, the UOA results weren't that great. Then it seemed as if (before the precious green GC became the latest bandwagon) Supersyn was accepted as a great oil. Now we're supposed to hate it?
dunno.gif

As much as I love this website, much of the information remains opinionated and unscientific. For instance, I was always under the impression that Redline was the holy grail of motor oils so for a while I spent the meager amount of money I make to get the stuff. My UOAs were pretty average, but is that the oil's fault or my engine? Then we have the people who make excuses for Redline not having stellar results by saying it's doing some magic cleaning.

Mobil 1's supposed to be too thin and Hans und Frans the expert engine builders claim that it caused the destruction of a pile of German engines, so they only recommend Castrol Syntec 5w50 so it won't shear, yet Syntec is supposed to be poor oil unless it's the Unobtanium variety 0w30 GC found only in certain Autozones!

I just bought some Mobil 1 10w30 for my next oil change. If it's as bad as some of you say, I'm through with these higher priced oils. Castrol GTX is always cheap at Wal Mart, and I don't mind doing oil changes every 2000 miles.

Sometimes it's better to remain ignorant.

I'm with you man. I just said the **** with it and put Mobil 1 in my car last night and will do 6,000 mile drains no matter what. I drive at least 5-10 miles when I make a trip, so what the **** . Less time spent under my car and I KNOW from UOA testing that Mobil 1 will handle it. I seriously wouldn't worry about using the case of Mobil 1 you just bought. In fact, I found Cases of 10w-30 Mobil 1 at my local Target for $23 bucks and just bought another case today
grin.gif
Sometimes I thick time away from this site is truelly beneficial for my anal retentive mind.

quote:

Originally posted by TSoA:

quote:

I'll consider listening to any of the naive, unsupported propaganda spewed by the likes of Flimflam and others...

Well, it is hard to argue with a pile of blown engines, Porsche engines that were running M1 15w-50. My mechanic buddy directed me to look into the hatch area of a "race" car...Mobil 1 jug was clearly visible. "See that?" he says, "that oil is ****t". To make a long story short, he says his engines running Syntec 5w-50 experienceing the same stress will not blow or score when the M1 engines do. Lower oil pressure too. ...as he draws another jug of Syntec 5w-50 from his 55g drum for his S6 with **26 pounds** of boost. Blown engines litter the floor, a half dozen race cars surround us. The guy is an old-school VW/Porsche+Audi guru, known far and wide (right Phila people?) and never have I heard him use the word "hate" except Mobil 1. He is on a level few VW people can even follow...check out the super-encryped Motronic ME5 set-up decompiled with the returnless FPR and injectors running at their maximum duty-cycle. If you want more power from just an ecu, call John. I visited Watkins Glenn with him privately and Porsche Club and rode in cars that you guys only see on Speed Channel. It seemd like everyone there knew him, as an expert. For God's sake, they guy testified AGAINST Mobil Co in a customers' jelly-gas case, as an expert, and WON! Who here has slammed a major oil company in court? Nobody. Who wants to argue with the Porsche Club guru, not me. I just listen, ask intelligent questions and use Castrol.

check out my pic poster of the cars in the garage at Watkins Glenn...

http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/27563/wg01.jpg

http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/27563/wg02.jpg

So what. I've helped people tear down 4g63 Mitsubishi motors that ran high boost daily and VERY rich fuel mixtures and the factory hone was still perfectly visible, and wear on cams etc. was prety much non-existant upon removal of a micrometer. Doesn't mean anything, kind of like your story. If your mechanic doesn;t like Mobil 1, don't come here and bleed it to us like it's the end of the world for Mobil 1 users. Like I said, I watched a Porsche mechanic fill a GT Porsche at Road America with regular old 15w-50 Mobil 1. I think it was a car from G & W motorsports, which is a big time GT Porsche racing organization.

TSoA...

You missed part of my statement...!

quote:

Show me the science, the proof, the data, heck, show me the engines, AFTER! teardown...

Maybe then I'll consider listening to any of the naive, unsupported propaganda spewed by the likes of Flimflam and others...

Take some pictures, and post them! I for one enjoy looking at REALLY! broken engines... Show us the data...this entire site is SEVERELY! in need of some science and fact. Too many opinions, not enough science...!!!
confused.gif

quote:

I watched a Porsche mechanic fill a GT Porsche at Road America with regular old 15w-50 Mobil 1

Got pics? Was it Tri-Synthetic? I thought real race teams got the Mobil 1-R version.
dunno.gif
Maybe you saw a top-off of a R-filled car, who cares? So, since once guy maybe uses M1, everybody does??? Doubt it, actually I KNOW it is not the case. My info comes from an *actual person* who is willing to stand-up and say specificly what and why, not speculation that came from peering through a fence over some guys shoulder. Believe me dude, I am not basing my oil conclusions on your speculation. Like I said, I've seen M1 go into race cars too, the ones waiting for engines in the corner of the shop.

http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/23527/wg04.jpg

http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/23527/sq2.jpg

Geeman, you will have to take my word for now, my camera finally went south. I have handled the busted crank hardware...totaly scored and broken. I am not out to prove anything, I don't work for Castrol or anything, but my thread grew out of a request for oil advice for a 944T, the exact car tracked by my crew...I had this conversation just a week or two ago with my mechanic...what *should* I tell the guy? Other board members will have to trust me, I have a reputation of my own too.

[ November 22, 2003, 02:43 AM: Message edited by: TSoA ]

Why would I take pictures of a guy pouring oil into an engine? I saved my film for the cars racing on the track
rolleyes.gif
Does it make you feel better or something, to bash the **** out of Mobil 1? If so (which I suspect), I suggest you get a life
wink.gif

[ November 22, 2003, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

quote:

Every car produced in the factory in Stuttgart gets its first oil from Mobil 1. And that means that all our cars and engines are developed with that product."

Herbert Ampferer, Director,Porsche Motorsports

Interesting..........!!!!!!!
grin.gif

quote:

Why would I take pictures of a guy pouring oil into an engine? Does it make you feel better or something, to bash the **** out of Mobil 1? If so (which I suspect), I suggest you get a life

A picture is worth a thousand words.

FTR- *I* am not bashing Mobil 1, just relaying the experienced opinion of someone who actually knows something. Does that upset you? I can show 3 blown M1 engines in just one shop. 25 years a master Audi Mechanic and his father, 40 years a master BMW mechanic, but you know better then them.
confused.gif

quote:

Every car produced in the factory in Stuttgart gets its first oil from Mobil 1. And that means that all our cars and engines are developed with that product."

Geeman, I hear you and that is exactly the kind of thing I would say to my mechanic, he would smile and say "that is bull". Mobil oil *componets*, true...a custom blend. BTW that is the Motorsport director, possibly street cars get M1 too, I would use it on the street as a 0w-40, but it is naive to think actual Euro race cars run on 15w-50, it is not even available in Europe and would be scoffed at in comparison to what they have there. Again, their race car is covered in M1 propaganda and the director adheres to the company line. 1 word, sponsorship. Few people HERE think M1 15w-50 (a multiweight, ha!) is the best oil in the world, regardless of what marketing says. IMO, people come here to Bob's wanting to cut through the marketing bullshitt and would rather hear 1st or 2nd hand accounts of, God forbid, Mobil NOT being very good in the Real World.

nono.gif
-joe

[ November 22, 2003, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

TSoA...

You bring up an excellent point...

Is the factory fill the same as the OTC product?
Does, say Maclaren F1's M1 bear ANY! resemblance to the stuff you or I can actually buy?

And talk of a NEW!? M1R kind of makes you wonder about the "regular" M1 as well...

Money talks, and sponsorship does NOT! always mean actual product use...!

cool.gif

One more thing...

The "real" world isn't a racetrack...I sometimes wish it was!!!

M1 has worked in MY real world application...a street legal road car driven in all conditions for a LONG time...!

grin.gif
smile.gif
wink.gif

quote:

My mechanic buddy directed me to look into the hatch area of a "race" car...Mobil 1 jug was clearly visible. "See that?" he says, "that oil is ****t".

OK, now, you need to go back to this self-proclaimed oil expert, and get a detailed explanation as to what characteristics of Mobil 1 cause engines to spontaneously explode..and just why Castrol is go great. Sure, physical characteristics probably would suffice......but since your mechanic is no doubt a part time tribologist (you can explain to him what this means when he gives you that that confused look) he should be able to expalin it on a chemical level...

Your honor, "that oil is !"

Well now, thank you for your expert testimony....

fruit.gif
lol.gif
fruit.gif

[ November 22, 2003, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

Well my last vehicle ran Castrol its entire life and blew up after 140,000 miles.
dunno.gif
It was 18 years old and lost a valve guide. The make a Toyota 4x4 Turbo Diesel 2lt. I sold it for $2400 since I didn't have time to fix it. The oil 20-50.

I now run M1. I have researched UOA's on the oil and am satisfied with what I see, its a good oil! Am I married to the oil? No!

See the pics of my 4-Runner internals under the valve cover. Its only had M1 since 60000 miles.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 5800 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 82000 Miles. (Switching to GC next)Nope sticking with M1.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

Here's my take on it: I'm sure Mobil 1 is a perfectly fine oil for street applicatons. I don't race so I really don't know whether it's good for high stress engines or not.

Having said that, Mobil 1 is the most expensive OTC on the market today. Yet it produces wear values that are just average for my particular type of engine based on samples available on BITOG(I calculated avg wear metals for every VW 1.8T sample on BITOG). So why would I want to use it? I'm not going to use an expensive, avg performing oil simply because "it is the only PAO" OTC oil. I'm not an oil activist. I'm interested in protecting my engine and a lot of cheaper Group III's and Synthetic blends (e.g. Syntec blend) seem to perform better.

In fact, if I am going to spend $5 a quart, I'll just cough up the extra 85 cents and buy the Amsoil, which is a better product. But if Walmart started selling M1 for $3.50 a quart, then I'm back on the bandwagon......

You know what guys, I WISH EVERYONE WOULD QUIT CUSSING AND GETTING PERSONAL WHEN DEBATING
mad.gif
I will now close the thread temporarily and let everyone cool off. If when reopening the thread, you guys can't be civil, I will close it for good and start suspending people who can't act mature. -Joe

BTW, nice truck Amkeer. I use Mobil 1 in my 1996 Integra with 89,000 miles on it. At 82,000 miles I had the valve cover removed for a valve adjustment. The valvetrain was spotless. The Acura mechanic said that he was impressed with how clean the valvetrain was. I only change the oil every 4 months/4000 miles, as I only drive the car to and from work.

[ November 22, 2003, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back