Am I the only Mobil 1 hater here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blows up engines? If anything, M1 is what kept the engine from blowing up in the Sienna I used to own. Besides, 15w50 made my little Saturn come to life. I went back to Chevron Supreme in this car due to cost alone.

And really, you don't HAVE to use only 5w or 10w M1--just mix some 15w50 in there to thicken it up. Or buy Amsoil. It's a free country! ...Still.

My motorcycle engine can run at 5000-7500 RPM all day long on a single grade SAE 30 or 40 HDMOs. (02 XR650R) The YZ250F can run at 7,000-14,000 RPM all day on a varity of engine oils.
A fully rollerized short stroke long rod SBC with 100 lbs of oil pressure will not know the difference between a 0W30 and an SAE 30 engine oil at 9,500 RPM.
Light load high RPM is hardly a test for an engine oil.
Now lets look at the cylinder pressure of a turbo, 5" bore piston aircraft engine at 2,200 rpm?
Lets see what your 0W30 does in that application.
Have I tried Mobil lubricants?
Of course.
If they were available around here, and at a reasonable price I would buy and use all of their HD engine oils and gear lubes including Delvac 5W40 and SGOs. (SHCs)
Would I buy M-1 consumer oil?
What for?

Noisier engine--yep, with all the previous on the thin side Mobil1 oils. But, currently the non-Nascar sticker oil is relatively quiet.

Blow up engines -- one word -- ********!

Increased consumption--haven't seen that one yet. But, can be expected in a poorly maintained or broken in engine. Possible reduction in burning with newer slightly thicker oil weights.

API/SAE/ACEA/EPA/CARB/CAFE/JASO/OEMs/ILSAC/NMMA/ISO/MIL/CCMC......change and update requirements regularly too. I'm glad that Mobil1 continues with new and improvements. Change is good otherwise we'd all be using SAE 10w40 SA sludge in a bottle oil.

I believe that its the best regularly available oil for the money.

I think the criticisms of Mobil 1 I have seen here which may have some basis in fact

1. 0W-40 shears down and then thickens up. Not a really impressive oil.

2. the 30 wt. mobils are a bit thin

3. Irons appear to be higher in UOA's for Mobil 1

#2 can be fixed by adding some 15W-50. The last one is a bit troubling but how big a deal is it
dunno.gif

Will never use it again. After having sever drain back problems on vehicles that got intermittent usage and causing excessive camshaft wear on solid lifter engines that I have had. After adj clearances 3-4 times, switched to dino, no problems. Maybe ok if you drive the vehicle every day, but if it's a once a week or two driver, will not use it.

quote:

Originally posted by Jerry:
Will never use it again. After having sever drain back problems on vehicles that got intermittent usage and causing excessive camshaft wear on solid lifter engines that I have had. After adj clearances 3-4 times, switched to dino, no problems. Maybe ok if you drive the vehicle every day, but if it's a once a week or two driver, will not use it.

Jerry,

I respect your opinion, but the only "drainback" problems you would have in reference to startup would be with the filters ADBV.

If can see the additive package having a difference on startup wear though where no fluid film is present. Molybdenum comes to mind.

I won't say I hate Mobil1, just that I never really liked it. I don't know why. My dad uses Mobil1 (I got him to switch to GC the last time he changed) in his Ford Focus and changes it every 10,000 miles.

I have always used Castrol GTX or Penzoil even before coming here. I recently switched to synthetics and Mobil1 isn't on the list. My truck gets Amsoil & I have Redline and Amsoil in my Harley. I will be giving GC a shot in my truck in a few more months.

I have heard of people starting to have oil consumption problems with Mobil1 after 100k miles in GM V8's. These engines have had Mobil1 their whole life. Dino or a thicker grade of Mobil1 usually clears this up.

Do I hate it? No. Do I use it? No. Would I use it if no other synthetic oils were available? Chances are, before 3mp's study, No. After 3mp's study - Maybe.

I was just thinking - 3mp should be starting the Amsoil run very soon
smile.gif

[ November 21, 2003, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: medic ]

quote:

I was just thinking - 3mp should be starting the Amsoil run very soon

Yep, it should begin any day now, if it hasn't already begun. He extended his "flush fill" time with Amsoil to 3k instead of 2k, since he wanted to get his car dyno tested and didn't want to do it during the testing phase.

WOW that's the longest non-commercial fleet OCI I have EVER seen
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by geeeman:
M1 blows up engines...! Oh crap, I better get it out of my 220 000 mile Integra, ASAP!

Oh...It's been in there the last 210 000 miles!!!

Show me the science, the proof, the data, heck, show me the engines, AFTER! teardown...

Maybe then I'll consider listening to any of the naive, unsupported propaganda spewed by the likes of Flimflam and others...
smile.gif
smile.gif
wink.gif

I have never had a bad experience with Mobil 1. None of the horror stories, (noise, leaks, consumption etc.) just very good performance at a very good price. I pay about 3.85 a quart buying it in cases at Costco.

The idea that this oil KILLS engines is total BS brought on buy people with no clue or an agenda. Think about it! People used to race with oil we wouldn't run in a weedeater today and the oil didn't kill the motor. The racing did but the oil didn't. Competition is tough on skis, mountain bikes, cars, 4x4s, motorcycles.

There is a saying "Horses for courses". It applies to many things but "oil for engines" works too. In some engines it is great stuff. In other looser motors in the 30 weight varities there are probably better choices. I hope they don't thicken it.

Is it the best? I doubt it, but for 1/2 the price of the boutique oils it is quite good and easily attainable. Running M1 for 7500 miles is usually safe to do in a decent engine and it won't break the bank.

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

I have a LS1 that is a slapper and it makes as much noise on dino oil as it does Mobil 1. It is smoother on M1 though.

I also have a 5.3 vortec (the dreaded noisey GM v8
rolleyes.gif
) and it is super smooth and has NO start up or other engine noise on Mobil 1 and has been showing good UOA's. Mobil 1 is a top oil and if you have a loud or noisey engine it is your engine and not the oil. M1 performs as good as and better then most top oils!

Mobil 1 causes engines to "wear out" and "blow up" just like spoons and forks make people FAT!
rolleyes.gif
grin.gif

quote:

These engines have had Mobil1 their whole life. Dino or a thicker grade of Mobil1 usually clears this up.

If Mobil 1 caused consumption in the first place, why would thicker Mobil 1 clear that up......it's still M1, right??

My recent UOA with Mobil 1 was less than stellar. I expected outstanding results with a 7300 mile interval, however, I would not construe my results as meeting the criteria for outstanding.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001009
crushedcar.gif

Once my supply of M1 is exhausted, it will be Chevron Supreme @1.08 a qt. The driving force behind switching to a synthetic was the appeal of not having to crawl under my car every 3 to 4 k miles and change the oil.

Alex D...

Yep...210 000 miles, and its just startin' to sludge up a little, thinkin' o' changin' it this spring...!!! That them thar synthetics sure do go a good long time, you betcha!!!

Seriously, changed every 5625 miles, 5W30 in the winter, 10W30/15W50 in the summer. Lately, 0w40.

Valve cover off this summer, cams/lifters top end all look excellent, no sludge at all!

Car runs excellent, uses 1 qt per interval, and I can live with that...

PS - Engine not blown yet...
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Joe1:
My recent UOA with Mobil 1 was less than stellar. I expected outstanding results with a 7300 mile interval, however, I would not construe my results as meeting the criteria for outstanding.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001009
crushedcar.gif

Once my supply of M1 is exhausted, it will be Chevron Supreme @1.08 a qt. The driving force behind switching to a synthetic was the appeal of not having to crawl under my car every 3 to 4 k miles and change the oil.

Joe, for 7300 miles, I'd say your analysis was pretty darn good, save for the iron. And you spent one less afternoon under your car scraping knuckles
lol.gif

Guys, we have to remember that different engines like different oils. If you don't like Mobil 1, don't use it. So I guess that Chevrolet and Dodge are idiots for putting Mobil 1 in the Corvette and the Viper
dunno.gif
Joe

I really wish you people would make up your mind!
rolleyes.gif
Back when Tri-Scamthetic came out there was talk that Mobil had joined Castol since they lost the court case. I started using Redline, and although my car is modified and driven hard, the UOA results weren't that great. Then it seemed as if (before the precious green GC became the latest bandwagon) Supersyn was accepted as a great oil. Now we're supposed to hate it?
dunno.gif

As much as I love this website, much of the information remains opinionated and unscientific. For instance, I was always under the impression that Redline was the holy grail of motor oils so for a while I spent the meager amount of money I make to get the stuff. My UOAs were pretty average, but is that the oil's fault or my engine? Then we have the people who make excuses for Redline not having stellar results by saying it's doing some magic cleaning.

Mobil 1's supposed to be too thin and Hans und Frans the expert engine builders claim that it caused the destruction of a pile of German engines, so they only recommend Castrol Syntec 5w50 so it won't shear, yet Syntec is supposed to be poor oil unless it's the Unobtanium variety 0w30 GC found only in certain Autozones!

I just bought some Mobil 1 10w30 for my next oil change. If it's as bad as some of you say, I'm through with these higher priced oils. Castrol GTX is always cheap at Wal Mart, and I don't mind doing oil changes every 2000 miles.

Sometimes it's better to remain ignorant.

You know JPowers, I agree with you a lot. There seems to be a lot of controversy over synthetic oils.

With conventional motor oils, there seems to be general agreement here that conventional motor oils like Chevron Supreme, Pennzoil, and Castrol are good.

Nobody even seems willing to comment on the Group III 'synthetics.'

Few seem willing to say much about the blends.

And it is hard to pick a winner among the synthetic oils. Most seem to have some shortcoming; too thin, no API certification, average or subpar UOAs, etc. And people make excuses for the various synthetic oils; poor UOA right now because 'it is cleaning;' API certification value is over-rated; you can mix some thicker synthetic with the thinner to make it thicker; engines just 'like' some oils better then others.

Seems to me that there should be a clear cut winner somewhere. If an oil was truly great it would work in any engine.

quote:

I'll consider listening to any of the naive, unsupported propaganda spewed by the likes of Flimflam and others...

Well, it is hard to argue with a pile of blown engines, Porsche engines that were running M1 15w-50. My mechanic buddy directed me to look into the hatch area of a "race" car...Mobil 1 jug was clearly visible. "See that?" he says, "that oil is ****t". To make a long story short, he says his engines running Syntec 5w-50 experienceing the same stress will not blow or score when the M1 engines do. Lower oil pressure too. ...as he draws another jug of Syntec 5w-50 from his 55g drum for his S6 with **26 pounds** of boost. Blown engines litter the floor, a half dozen race cars surround us. The guy is an old-school VW/Porsche+Audi guru, known far and wide (right Phila people?) and never have I heard him use the word "hate" except Mobil 1. He is on a level few VW people can even follow...check out the super-encryped Motronic ME5 set-up decompiled with the returnless FPR and injectors running at their maximum duty-cycle. If you want more power from just an ecu, call John. I visited Watkins Glenn with him privately and Porsche Club and rode in cars that you guys only see on Speed Channel. It seemd like everyone there knew him, as an expert. For God's sake, they guy testified AGAINST Mobil Co in a customers' jelly-gas case, as an expert, and WON! Who here has slammed a major oil company in court? Nobody. Who wants to argue with the Porsche Club guru, not me. I just listen, ask intelligent questions and use Castrol.

check out my pic poster of the cars in the garage at Watkins Glenn...

http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/27563/wg01.jpg

http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/27563/wg02.jpg

[ November 22, 2003, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: TSoA ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back