Am I nuts for wanting new tires after only 14k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Elantra came with some low-end Hankooks and I hate to say it but they are just terrible. In a light rain the other day I spun my tires twice at intersections and let's just say the Elantra isn't known for its torque. Last week, I actually GOT STUCK in a car wash. One of those where your front wheels click into place before the wash starts? Yeah, a little water and I didn't have enough traction to pull out. Luckily there was no one behind me.

Looking back I'm real glad we had an extremely mild winter in Iowa last year, but I shudder to think of driving on these tires in a "normal" winter. I have kids, dammit!

Am I nuts for wanting new tires after only 14k miles? Please tell me it's OK because I'm already shopping.

They don't sound safe to me. I've never had much faith in original equipment tires, except for some Toyo's long ago on an '83 Camry.
Good luck.
Kevin

No. They sound like the Firestone tires that came on my Civic. Dusting of snow and a negligible incline and I sat there spinning. Couldn't wait to get rid of them.

Some tires are just bad in weather and it can create a dangerous situation.

no. When i got my minivan the oem tires were so bad that i got rid of them within 10k miles. Wife almost slid in a ditch in light rain.

If the tires are still in good shape tread wise I would say get new tires and put your old ones on Ebay. You could probably get a big chunk of your money back. People don't realize that used car dealers look for decent tires online all the time and are willing to buy decent used tires just to save a few bucks. Decent tires can bring $250-400 on ebay if you get the right bidder. Should be just about enough to cover a new set of your choice.
As for OEM tires, not sure but it almost seems to me that OEM tires are different than those out on the market because I have dealt with some that are awful and I cannot imagine they are that bad when you buy them from a store. I have had Hankooks before and actually have them on most of my cars now with no problems. OEM may be a different story.

Originally Posted By: 71Chevyguy
If the tires are still in good shape tread wise I would say get new tires and put your old ones on Ebay. You could probably get a big chunk of your money back. People don't realize that used car dealers look for decent tires online all the time and are willing to buy decent used tires just to save a few bucks. Decent tires can bring $250-400 on ebay if you get the right bidder. Should be just about enough to cover a new set of your choice.
As for OEM tires, not sure but it almost seems to me that OEM tires are different than those out on the market because I have dealt with some that are awful and I cannot imagine they are that bad when you buy them from a store. I have had Hankooks before and actually have them on most of my cars now with no problems. OEM may be a different story.
Yeah, I thought about doing that or listing them on Craigslist or something. Good idea.

I have a generally favorable opinion of Hankook as well, that's why I said I hated to say these were terrible. I kind of don't blame them though, for OEMs I know they have to make them to automakers' standards and, therefore, by extension CAFE standards.

I replaced the toyos on my Mazda5 around 25K IIRC. they had some good tread, but the belt was VERY thin; when I plugged one of them the tool when in like going through paper.
I sold them on ebay; they are on a 3 series BMW now...

as a general rule OEM tires are always terrible, and what it says on the sidewall is NOT the same as what you can get aftermarket.

You're perfectly normal. I don't recall ever riding on a set of GOOD OEM tires. The tires that come on regular vehicles like your Elantra are always poor. The tires on my Civic suck too, but they're not bad enough that I am going to replace prematurely. Just can't wait for my next better set for when these wear out. (next summer)

some are much worse than others.

there are some that are average or slightly better.

and some that are straight garbage.

hankook and goodyear oem seem worse than some others.

I think the kumho kh16's are pretty bottom of the barrel

as are the hankook oem that came on pontiac g6's hankook 425's (IIRC)

Goodyear RS-A and integrity's are also lumped in the oem poor list.

some michelins and others are more of an average tire..

then you have stuff like PAX tires that were just a um. bad idea.

you can probably recoup 200$ or so via craigslist.

depending on tread depth vs new

Last edited:
sOMETIME WHEN YOU BUY A NEW SET OF TIRES THE DEALER WILL GIVE YOU SOME TRADIN IF THE USED TIRES HAVE ENOUGH TREAD TO BE RESOLD. dARN CAP LOCK.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Our 2007 Town & Country came on Bridgestone Turanza EL42s. I put Michelins on prior to 10,000 miles.

You are not crazy.
Yeah we have an 06 Caravan that came with those. We stuck it out for 35,000 miles but probably shouldn't have.

These Hankooks are even worse than those. Much, much worse.

If the tires have a tread depth of 6/32" or more, you can save some money and improve the traction somewhat by getting the tread siped. It doesn't work miracles but is some help. Better tires are certainly the best way to go.
http://sipers.com/

I have the same problem with a 2011 Elantra Tour. Kumho KH16 ride rough and are dangerous in light snow or slush. It is the worst handling tires I have had on a FWD car. I only have 6,000 miles and am looking for a change before winter.

The rear tires of my S2000 didn't lasted more than 10-12k miles. It is a little more than 35k miles and on 4th set of rear tires. The front tires lasted a little longer at around 18-20k miles, it is on second set. Both front and rear will be replaced soon.

The original tires on the E430 didn't lasted long, it was bold(tread depth was less than 2/32") at 14k miles. This car destroy front brake pad very quick too, the original front pads was at metal after 10k miles.

I had to take off a set of LTXs that had a load of tread left. Had em checked, re-balance, rotated. For some reason they howled like a truck mud tire at highway speed. Tire guy thought I was nuts when I came back and said to take them off. I've used LTXs before on other vehicles and never had a problem.
If I don't like em, they come off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back