Aluminum Dorman Pentastar V6 oil cooler unavailable anywhere...except at "storedorman.com"...scam?

There is no substantiated proof that the aluminum doorman cooler will not develop a leak. Nobody had it long enough yet. All assumptions of this failure revolve around the part being made out of plastic.

BTW, aluminum is quite a brittle metal, it may develop cracks from over tightening as well. Again, no real long term experience has been documented yet.
Absolutely. Probably better to keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Some define that as insanity, but that's just a conspiracy theory.

Absolutely. Probably better to keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Some define that as insanity, but that's just a conspiracy theory.
Or, live on hopes and dreams that a company known for making subpar aftermarket components, knocked it out of the park and made an actual upgrade to the OEM part. And it is now discontinued 🤣

There is no substantiated proof that the aluminum doorman cooler will not develop a leak. Nobody had it long enough yet. All assumptions of this failure revolve around the part being made out of plastic.

BTW, aluminum is quite a brittle metal, it may develop cracks from over tightening as well. Again, no real long term experience has been documented yet.
Doubt that Project Farm would be interested in tackling this question :ROFLMAO:. So we have to rely on common sense. Without any evidence, and relying on anecdotes and testimonials, would anyone want plastic vs aluminum in this application?

Reactions: D60
Actually they leak from 3 sources:
Cracked housing from over tightening
Seals
The plastic casting plugs can leak too

To me this is a significant push away from most of what Jeep sells. I have the old 4.0 liter six and the 5.7 Hemi in our 2 other Jeeps with no such problems
The one on our ‘17 Wrangler leaked after 4.5 years & 60000 miles.
I fail to see any advantage what so ever to hiding the oil filter housing/cooler in the engine V under both the lower & upper intake manifolds. Other makes use these housings & make them accessible.
In another age guys who actually worked on cars would come up with innovations to make the product better and the manufacturers would either steal the concept or end up paying the royalties for patent infringement.

No engineer or automotive 'designer' should be allowed near the 'design' or 'research & development' departments until they've spent at least 5 years in the service bays at their respective dealership (Ford, Chrysler, GM, Toyota, etc, etc, etc.) and had to work on every aspect of the vehicles their brand sells.

In another age guys who actually worked on cars would come up with innovations to make the product better and the manufacturers would either steal the concept or end up paying the royalties for patent infringement.

No engineer or automotive 'designer' should be allowed near the 'design' or 'research & development' departments until they've spent at least 5 years in the service bays at their respective dealership (Ford, Chrysler, GM, Toyota, etc, etc, etc.) and had to work on every aspect of the vehicles their brand sells.
When I was in school for machining they started to make the drafting students come over and be shadowed by a senior student. They had to build something simple from a print.

I thought it was a great idea because you can draw ANYTHING on paper....

Or, live on hopes and dreams that a company known for making subpar aftermarket components, knocked it out of the park and made an actual upgrade to the OEM part.
One reason that I would have at least some hope is that these are made in the USA, while most of their junk is made in China.

Agreed. Dorman is questionable no matter if aluminum or plastic vs OE. My most recent Dorman purchase was an AC bypass pulley. It lasted for maybe 30 mins before the bearing started clicking.

Agreed. Dorman is questionable no matter if aluminum or plastic vs OE. My most recent Dorman purchase was an AC bypass pulley. It lasted for maybe 30 mins before the bearing started clicking.

At my shop, we avoid Dorman like the plague unless it's the only option.

Just today, I priced out a trans cooler on a '16 Pathfinder. Dorman makes one, ~$400 my cost. Ok, let's check with Nissan: $418 my cost. Guess what I chose.

One reason that I would have at least some hope is that these are made in the USA, while most of their junk is made in China.
And the main reason I would have had hope was that they discontinued it.

We know from results Dorman doesn't discontinue junky products!

(y)

Yeah, good luck with that. There is a shortage of engineers as is.

I would add to that:

Make the bean counters deal with angry owners when a $.02 cheaper part fails and takes the vehicle out of service for a month because their 'cheaper' supplier can't 1. Fix the problem 2. supply the upgraded part in a timely fashion.

In truth I predict the following: being made in the US, the margins on the cooler were insufficient for Dorman standards.

There's already a bunch of import aluminum knock-offs. We'll see the Dorman part re-emerge, but Made in China. They won't even lift a finger but to contract with one of the Chinese companies already making the part, and just toss it in a Dorman box.

If there's still anyone following this thread, and you are interested in a replacement Pentastar oil cooler/filter housing, I was posting to let you know that I ordered the 926-959 from O'Reilly's this afternoon. I spent nearly an hour trying to order it using a PC, laptop, and mobile phone, and trying to get it to process payment with two different credit cards (and three calls to customer service). The problem seemed to be solved by clearing cookies on the Chrome browser, but I would have bet the farm that they didn't actually have it in stock and that was the issue. Turned out that it shipped a few hours later.
Unfortunately for those interested, it now appears to be out of stock again. So, when this thing arrives early next week, I'll be checking it against the "Ransoto" chinesium cooler that I just got a few days ago. The listing still states that it is US made. The Dorman 929 comes with the cooler, but apparently no sensors, and costs 4 times as much ($309 plus shipping). So add about 70 bucks for seals, O-rings, and an oil pressure sensor. I wasn't going to trust either the import or Dorman seals after reading reviews. The 929 is an "upgrade" version that is compatible with a few earlier years of Pentastars, and comes with the oil cooler where the 876 was only a filter housing.
For critics, remember that Dorman doesn't "make" anything, just specs stuff out to contractors. I'm hoping that the Pennsylvania-based company makes a quality product that it is worth the extra bucks. And I'm in no hurry to change out mine, so I'm still waiting to see if the 876 from Amazon arrives on April 10. It was only double the cost of the Ransoto, so I would go that route and return (or resell:)) the 959 next month.

Yeah, good luck with that. There is a shortage of engineers as is.
There seems to be a shortage of everything. Diabetic friend can not even fill his medications the last 2-3 months.
In truth I predict the following: being made in the US, the margins on the cooler were insufficient for Dorman standards.

There's already a bunch of import aluminum knock-offs. We'll see the Dorman part re-emerge, but Made in China. They won't even lift a finger but to contract with one of the Chinese companies already making the part, and just toss it in a Dorman box.
A while back when the wife was still driving her indestructable 2002 Honda Accord EXL with about 185,000 miles she had a coolant leak 45 miles from home. I drove to her and discovered the radiator cap had failed. Went a few mi down the highway and grabbed an AutoZone
new cap for about $9.99. Looked like a cheap knock off- China or Japan part. Took care of issue and we got it home. Weeks later I was passing the Honda Dealership in our 2009 Accord and pulled in thinking, "heck, let me go inside and pick up a good OEM cap to replace that plastic cheap junk from AutoZone. Paid something like $19.99 for my new cap that came in the OEM official Honda part box. Drove home and the next day decided to replace with new one from Honda. Just like a wet towel slap in the face .... all I could do was curse and kick the ground as I opened that official OEM official Honda part box and out fell that same cheap looking plastic p.o.s. part AutoZone and Honda too , apparently were likely getting from over seas for $1.99 and selling for what ever they feel like! I should have known.

There seems to be a shortage of everything. Diabetic friend can not even fill his medications the last 2-3 months.

A while back when the wife was still driving her indestructable 2002 Honda Accord EXL with about 185,000 miles she had a coolant leak 45 miles from home. I drove to her and discovered the radiator cap had failed. Went a few mi down the highway and grabbed an AutoZone
new cap for about $9.99. Looked like a cheap knock off- China or Japan part. Took care of issue and we got it home. Weeks later I was passing the Honda Dealership in our 2009 Accord and pulled in thinking, "heck, let me go inside and pick up a good OEM cap to replace that plastic cheap junk from AutoZone. Paid something like $19.99 for my new cap that came in the OEM official Honda part box. Drove home and the next day decided to replace with new one from Honda. Just like a wet towel slap in the face .... all I could do was curse and kick the ground as I opened that official OEM official Honda part box and out fell that same cheap looking plastic p.o.s. part AutoZone and Honda too , apparently were likely getting from over seas for $1.99 and selling for what ever they feel like! I should have known.
Probably both made by Motorad :/

Someone at Chrysler Minivan Forums posted pics of their cooler that started leaking. The debate there is similar as here. Some believe going with aluminum unit will solve the problems, while others, including me are not exactly convinced.

Here is how the seals look like, flat as a pancake. The housing wasn’t cracked or anything.

I’m thinking of being proactive on this and changing the seals while I’m in there for the plugs at around 100k miles.

3B266129-2664-4B28-BF70-0F6EEF3B5A7A.jpeg
9DB4796B-678F-4469-999D-EE114D80EE94.jpeg

Someone at Chrysler Minivan Forums posted pics of their cooler that started leaking. The debate there is similar as here. Some believe going with aluminum unit will solve the problems, while others, including me are not exactly convinced.

Here is how the seals look like, flat as a pancake. The housing wasn’t cracked or anything.

I’m thinking of being proactive on this and changing the seals while I’m in there for the plugs at around 100k miles.

View attachment 145043View attachment 145044
I would also be proactive and change seals after a plug change. But for anyone with an oil/coolant leak who is thinking about changing seals only, here's a link to a Mopar mechanic who tried it:

Back