Aluminum Dorman Pentastar V6 oil cooler unavailable anywhere...except at "storedorman.com"...scam?

Had the Dorman 926-876 oil cooler set up to drop ship but it was almost 2 weeks overdue. Called JEGS yesterday to find out that the order would be cancelled because Dorman discontinued making the 876 and 959. Went back online, and Autozone showed one in stock that had to be picked up. Before making the 90 minute drive, called to confirm and found out that the one in stock was a shipment from Dorman that never arrived, and other Autozones that showed one in stock also didn't have it. So it's the same story everywhere, none on Ebay, and at the few retailers that allow you to order it, such as Advance, both coolers show as unavailable, or some other error pops up, preventing the order. Amazon shows the 876 as available, shipping in five weeks, but I suspect that order will be cancelled because the doofusses at Amazon will be the last to know that they are actually not available anymore (I suppose there is a possibility that Amazon could have an agreement to get them in preference of other retailers, but doubt that).
The leaky plastic OEM oil cooler issue rarely shows up on Dodge Charger forums. I get the impression that Mopar fans hate to admit any weakness of the brand. But I am assured by a relative who works at a dealership, if I keep this car (2015 Charger SXT Plus) long enough, I will have to deal with the problem. The OEM replacement has underwent at least SIX revisions, and even the newest ones still leak. I would like to at least be prepared by having a replacement on hand. The Dorman coolers appear to be the only US made metal housings...there are many Asian clones available, probably all from China. So I have accepted that I can't put a US made aluminum cooler on my car...or do I? I stumbled across a site, "storedorman.com", this evening that is offering the 926-876 for $76.79, unbelievably lower than any other price I've seen anywhere. This site features the Dorman logo, but makes no mention of any affiliation with Dorman. I've checked a few scam detection sites, which give it a low level of confidence, mainly because the site is only 4 months old. Thoughts, anyone?

Went back online, and Autozone showed one in stock that had to be picked up. Before making the 90 minute drive, called to confirm and found out that the one in stock was a shipment from Dorman that never arrived, and other Autozones that showed one in stock also didn't have it.
I've learned to not even bother checking with AZ after being burned many times with parts showing as in stock, driving a half hour each way and after getting there finding out they don't have it. And calling in advance is usually useless as you are put on endless hold.

StoreDorman has no reputation to care about. On its best day it'll drop ship you the part you want. On an average day you'll get nothing but an eventual refund. On its worst day...

I posted a video about this on YouTube and I'm not getting any insights there. I decided to go with a brand called Ransoto. Sounds like a joint venture between Range Rover and DeSoto. Price is under $80 and has good reviews, most of them believable. Spending another $40 on o-rings and seals from Mopar and Felpro. I probably wouldn't have trusted Dorman supplied seals either, if I had used their cooler. Planning on changing coolant, oil, pressure sensor and plugs at the same time on some warm day in the future. I wanted someone involved in making the Dorman coolers to post some further info on what happened that led to their discontinuation.

I posted a video about this on YouTube and I'm not getting any insights there. I decided to go with a brand called Ransoto. Sounds like a joint venture between Range Rover and DeSoto. Price is under $80 and has good reviews, most of them believable. Spending another $40 on o-rings and seals from Mopar and Felpro. I probably wouldn't have trusted Dorman supplied seals either, if I had used their cooler. Planning on changing coolant, oil, pressure sensor and plugs at the same time on some warm day in the future. I wanted someone involved in making the Dorman coolers to post some further info on what happened that led to their discontinuation.
If it was a decent part -- and it seemed to be -- Dorman just wouldn't be comfortable with that. They're more at home producing low quality products.

For awhile my county had two vehicle registration offices. One was always busy and the workers were exceptionally rude. The other had short wait times and the employees actually smiled and were truly helpful. Guess which one the county shut down?

Dorman's the same way. If it's good, that just won't do.

We are sourcing ours from jasper now. I don’t know if the regular public can buy from jasper or just commercial accounts, but it s worth looking into. Comes in a kit with the cooler with sensors installed as well as your intake seals.

It’s actually “jasper innovative solutions,” their line of repair parts. Quality seems fine? But I just started putting them in on my last 5 or so oil cooler jobs. They are aluminum. They are a bit wider as they barely fit down through the heads, but wiggle and place them in the perfect spot then they’ll get through.

We are sourcing ours from jasper now. I don’t know if the regular public can buy from jasper or just commercial accounts, but it s worth looking into. Comes in a kit with the cooler with sensors installed as well as your intake seals.

It’s actually “jasper innovative solutions,” their line of repair parts. Quality seems fine? But I just started putting them in on my last 5 or so oil cooler jobs. They are aluminum. They are a bit wider as they barely fit down through the heads, but wiggle and place them in the perfect spot then they’ll get through.
I trust Jasper less than I trust Dorman lol

I'd just give up the goose chase and use the plastic crap part and wait it out until next time. Things suck right now.

Some people have replaced the plastic ones with new OEM two or three times. I'm definitely not swapping out to another non metal one when mine isn't leaking. I'll take my chances with what should be an upgrade instead...but I will have my old one on the bench for backup. IMO Fiat will keep cranking out plastic coolers, because to make metal ones would possibly trigger a massive recall.

The leak is usually caused by the seals, not the plastic housing.
If it were as simple as seals or o-rings, why would the OEM part have undergone so many revisions? The current cooler is model number 7! That speaks volumes.

If it were as simple as seals or o-rings, why would the OEM part have undergone so many revisions? The current cooler is model number 7! That speaks volumes.
There is a TSB for the repair. The dealers only follow if you’re under warranty…but it basically states to replace the seals/o-rings, clean up, and observe for leaks. If no immediate leak, let it go. They used to slap oil coolers on all of them until they came out with this service bulletin.

Actually they leak from 3 sources:
Cracked housing from over tightening
Seals
The plastic casting plugs can leak too

To me this is a significant push away from most of what Jeep sells. I have the old 4.0 liter six and the 5.7 Hemi in our 2 other Jeeps with no such problems
The one on our ‘17 Wrangler leaked after 4.5 years & 60000 miles.
I fail to see any advantage what so ever to hiding the oil filter housing/cooler in the engine V under both the lower & upper intake manifolds. Other makes use these housings & make them accessible.

Last edited:
There is a TSB for the repair. The dealers only follow if you’re under warranty…but it basically states to replace the seals/o-rings, clean up, and observe for leaks. If no immediate leak, let it go. They used to slap oil coolers on all of them until they came out with this service bulletin.
Yep, and what I read that as is:

Executives say "Crap! We're replacing these parts at levels which aren't sustainable. We're facing a costly recall or stock-outs which leave thousands of owners waiting for a new oil cooler for months, and each them will be demanding a loaner vehicle under warranty."

Solution: just replace a couple inexpensive o-rings and hope. Lots of hope. Yep, THAT'S IT!! Just don't forget the hope part.....but don't mention the hope thing to the shareholders

There is no substantiated proof that the aluminum doorman cooler will not develop a leak. Nobody had it long enough yet. All assumptions of this failure revolve around the part being made out of plastic.

BTW, aluminum is quite a brittle metal, it may develop cracks from over tightening as well. Again, no real long term experience has been documented yet.

Back