Aluminum chips

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new 2014 GMC Terrain with the 2.4 Ecotec. These engines use a cartridge style oil filter. I had the first oil changed at 1600km (1000 mi) and I saw about a dozen or so of aluminum chips in the filter left over from the machining process. I just had the oil changed again and found a few more amount of chips. Has anyone seen this
in a new engine or has any comments?

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Pics?

No pics, sorry. I know a ton of small chips are produced during machining but I guess
not all were flushed away. I didn't think I would still see any at the second oil change.

My Nissan (cartridge filter) threw one or two sizeable chips per OCI up to around the 60,000 mile mark.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Did you show the chips to your dealer?

No. I just brought it to their attention. Hopefully there will be no more by next oil change.

Looks like dumping the oil early was a good move. Keep an eye on it going forward.

I had a similar problem with my second oil change on the 2012 Toyota Highlander v6. It had an internal filter and that one had some metal shavings in it.

I would be careful when removing the oil filter. If a chip falls off the outside of the element while you are pulling the filter out, it could fall into the oil gallery leading away from the filter. Not a good place for a large chip of metal.

Originally Posted By: 2KBMW
I have a new 2014 GMC Terrain with the 2.4 Ecotec. These engines use a cartridge style oil filter. I had the first oil changed at 1600km (1000 mi) and I saw about a dozen or so of aluminum chips in the filter left over from the machining process. I just had the oil changed again and found a few more amount of chips. Has anyone seen this in a new engine or has any comments?

I would say normal since the engine is still new. I've seen similar in a few vehicles I've owned. Keep an eye on it of course, and you shouldn't see anything significant after 5K miles.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Looks like dumping the oil early was a good move. Keep an eye on it going forward.

Wasn't it though.
However as long as the chips are on the right side of the filter I guess no harm can come.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Wasn't it though.
However as long as the chips are on the right side of the filter I guess no harm can come.

I think so.

Sadly to get to the filter those chips had to go through the pump. The good news is the filter did its job. The bad news is the high metal count of typical new engines breaking in showing up in UOA reports is the stuff the filter didn't trap. It's that stuff that the guys who rally behind an early OC of the FF don't want circulating in their engines. Still engines live a long life either way, so the suggestion of dumping the FF early if it makes you feel good seems, to be sound advise.
smile.gif

Good move on the early change.

Wouldn't you hate to see that in there after you drove until the trusty GM OLM was at 0%.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Good move on the early change.

Wouldn't you hate to see that in there after you drove until the trusty GM OLM was at 0%.

Technically, it doesn't matter because everything should be caught by the oil filter. Besides, some here think that anything that gets through a rock catcher of an oil filter is OK anyway and can't do any harm.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back