Alternative vehicles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I paid as much as $3.49/gal for regular this year. This was only a spike, of course, but it came when the low fuel light was on, meaning I had about two gallons (60 miles, more or less) left in the tank of my Accord.
I have considered a small displacement motorcycle or scooter for somewhat regular warm weather use. It would be cheap to run, as well as great fun.
I would probably need to adjust my normal scheule somewhat, as I am not comfortable on any bike in heavy traffic.
Is anyone else looking at a fuel saving, and fun, alternative to their four wheeler?
Can anyone offer any suggestions? A vintage Vespa would be quite hip, but I am thinking more of a driver than another hobby.

Gas prices around here is not cheap either. On weekdays I take the bus to school and works out good. I ride my bicycle if I'm going not too far away from my house. Bicycle, no need to worry about filling up fuel except your stomach of course. But around town a scooter should work just fine and good fuel economy too. Also easy to find parking.

I live in a rural area where it's 10 miles to town one way. There's no bike paths, and I really don't want to ride on the interstate. I'd love it if we had bike lanes.

The only way to town is interstate. I don't want to be on a Vespa with 18 wheelers passing me at 80mph. Otherwise, there'd be one in my garage right now!

There are a lot of used 250cc or less low mileage motorcycles that get 70+ mpg, and will keep up with traffic.
They will have a much better longevity than most scooters.

motorcycles dont get very good mileage compared to cars. something like my friends honda rebel 250cc bike gets about 70mpg. thats only 40mpg better than my v6 dodge stratus. but i have a/c, heat, cruise, a trunk a stereo and a roof.

any bike bigger than that and the mpg's really tank. my bmw boxer cup r1100s gets worse mileage than my dodge v6. plus my bike needs premium or it pings. (sticker says 91 or better)

you would figure that with motorbikes having smaller engines than cars, and less weight, smaller frontal area, you would figure they would be getting a couple hundred mpg's, but its just not true. dont know why but its not true. you have to go down to a 49cc ped to get 200 mpg. and nobody wants to be stuck at 35mph on a 49cc bike with the stigma of a ped-scum.

The increased risk of dying most likely outweighs the gas savings, if you look at lost earnings potential. Of course, if you're dead, you save even more gas...

My older Suzuki 1100 would typically get 45 mpg, but it would also do 0 to 60 in less than 3 seconds. It wasn't designed for fuel economy.

I don't really think a motor cycle is very economical after you add purchase costs, insurance/tags/inspection, long term maintenance (they don't appear to last long in good shape) and the limited time that you can drive them. Most brave the elements a few times, then it ends up being a "an ideal day" driver. Most get tired of "suiting up" for the ride.

If you were an urban creature, in a decent climate, then a Vespa would be a sensible form of transportation. I'm hoping that we're forced to adopt some of the Euro micro vehicles that they seem to enjoy. I've thought that a Cushman, properly outfitted for the elements, would make a good urban vehicle.

One guy at work bought used Golden Wings every 5 years or so. He actually racked up around 100k on his. Always traded in on another used one. Went to Florida and whatnot on it. Rain or shine he drove it. He's a very rare exception.

I put over 80k miles on the Suzuki before it was stolen, and it was still running pretty much like new. As mentioned though it's not trivial keeping one running; oil every 3k miles, carb adjustment every 2.5k, valve adj every 5k, plugs every 5k, chain lube every tank of gas, chains and sprockets every 15k or so, rear tire about 8k to 10k miles, front tire 15k to 20k miles, air filter every 5k as I recall, clutch cable every 20k, etc.

The real problem with motorcycles is that you could get seriously killed or fatally injured.

I've had at least one bike most of my life and they are fun to ride and a great get-away experience. But if anyone, you included, makes a mistake you get hurt.

Lonnie,
You are right, of course.
That is why I originally wrote that I would change my hours to accomodate the use of a bike/scooter. It is amazing what a difference a half hour or so makes in terms of traffic volume on my way to work. As I originaly stated, I don't feel comfortable on a bike in heavy rush hour traffic, where everyone is focused upon getting to work on time, and many are gabbing on the phone. A half an hour later, and traffic practically evaporates.
Leaving out other traffic, a bike is pretty much like a car. Avoid drunk operation, don't exceed your skill level, or the machine's limits, and you should be fine. One thing to keep in mind is that a car can be slid around pretty easily, while doing so on a bike requires a bit more skill. Know the limits of your ability, and don't exceed them.
If you avoid heavy traffic, avoid drunk operation, and avoid playing Mike Hailwood (unless you are he), a bike or scooter should be no more dangerous than a car.
Best of all, I have found a nice original CB350F. A Honda as exotic as any Dino, for less than a grand (yeah, the twin was faster, cheaper, and more economical).

Quote:

If you were an urban creature, in a decent climate, then a Vespa would be a sensible form of transportation.

Yeah, if you're a sissy. Under those conditions a bicycle would be best (and best for your body).

But in Ohio, a diesel Golf converted to run on WVO would be my choice for alternative. (Not just in Ohio actually)

Statistically, the more you ride a m-cycle, the better off you are. The safety courses are IMPORTANT and FUN. You can often tell by how someone rides if they've taken the course by eyeing their technique, posture, etc.

My 1975 Honda CB450 delivered a whopping 30 mpg, casually driven. My minivan achieved 21 mpg, accord 27 mpg. Newer bikes easily reach 40+, 50+ if ridden conservatively. Liquid cooling helps...tighter tolerances. A little twin lung ninja 500-550, whatever would make a decent commuter bike. I'd avoid riding a 250 (not enuf oomph to be safe), and I'd avoid a one-banger due to daily vibration. But, scarey in traffic, cold weather can be rough, and rain is a major inconvenience.

My wife drives a FEH. Great car that still has very good family trip capacity. 39 mpg mixed. 32 at constant 70 mph. 30 at constant 78 mph. 40+ around town. But it came with a price tag. I drive a beater, and drive it sparingly.

For now, I'd use the bicycle as much as you can, buy a small trailer for groceries, and enjoy the health benefits. Then, I'd save the pennies and wait for a 4cyl diesel-- small truck, mid-sized sedan, used jetta tdi.

M

Consider compact cars as well. Here in Canada we have diesel Smart car that probably gets around 50 mpg, like many bikes. Not sure about others, like Honda Fit. Toyota Corolla has a long history of reliability and excelleng mpg.

I did ride a 600cc bike, this season also, Kawi Ninja. I got around 55 mpg. Insurance is similar to cars for summer. The only thing that needs replacment more often are tires which are more expensive as well. So I am not sure how much I saved in the end. That is why I am switching to a Civic CX, simple compact which gets about 40 to 45 mpg. Plus I can drive it now when bike is not usable, too cold.

I had a Yamaha Seca 750 in Wyoming..and admittedly that was a bad choice considering it was "climatically undesirable" for 7-8 months out of the year. I loved it when the weather was cooperating...the freedom..the wind in my hair, but I didn't love other people's careless driving habits. I guess if people checked their mirrors 2 minutes ago, it should still be safe to change lanes...but that's not reality. I can't count how many times I've been forced to slam the brakes when someone wanted my lane more than I did. I can't even imagine the challenges one would face riding a bike in and around Dallas. I love a nice bike, but I also like having all my limbs still attached.

I thought of buying a motorcycle to save gas but working in a hospital has turned me off to it. If I was in Europe, and everyone drove those hatchbacks, now that would be a good idea. especially in high traffic cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back