Alternative transmission and diff plug gasket (Subaru)

I went through this when I had my '95 (2.2) and again when a friend bought a 2001 (2.5).
It's oddly difficult to find drain plug gaskets.
Go with Lubener's suggestion. After that include a handful in an order from an online Subaru parts place.
I vividly recall the ID being 18mm but I could be wrong.

That's what I did servicing my father's Subie. I would get the D.P. gasket and filter together at the dealer for about six dollars.
Yeah I’m doing the ATF and diff fluid soon on mine and need that particular gasket for the drain plugs on the front diff and ATF drain. It’s different than the crush washer on the engine oil drain plug. My transmission actually doesn’t have the spin-on filter. As I understand it they started slowly phasing that out sometime in late 2008 due to quick-lube places accidentally removing them on oil changes. 🙄

In any event - I’ve had a pickup order in with my local Subaru dealer for 5 business days for these gaskets, fluids, etc and they’ve yet to fill it so I had started to look around. I called them on Friday and they were either unwilling or unable to investigate the delay, instead just deferring me to their email for inquiry. From past exerience I know they do not reply their either. Oh well. I didn’t order anything that shouldn’t already be in high supply for any dealer. Long story short, this is why I was checking to see if I could just find appropriate gaskets elsewhere. For now the wait continues.

Last edited:
Back