Alternative thoughts on HPL **UPDATED**

Just finished my first oil change with HPL EC30 and Mobil1 ESP 0W30 for 5k miles. Prior to this I have been changing the oil in my 2015 Lexus GS 350 at 5k mile intervals with oil filter at 10k using various synthetic oils. Mostly 0w20, but occasional 0w30. The car currently has 65k miles. In my previous thread I was “accused” of over maintaining the car. I heartily agree. LOL.
After 10k miles all the previous oil filters looked like a new filter dipped in clean oil. I figured that if this filter looked the same at 5k then the HPL cleaner was probably unnecessary and this would be the end of my experiment.
The first thing I notice was the oil itself was much darker than usual. The oil filter was a deep brown rather than the light yellow noticed previously. Upon close inspection small black particles were seen on the media that I did not see on any previous filters. I concluded that the HPL cleaner did indeed remove carbon particles from the engine. So despite my “over maintenance “ some cleaning occurred. I replaced the oil with another run of EC30 but his time Castrol Edge 0w20. Attached are pics of the filter media. By the way, this is a Toyota filter that sat for a week to drain and all oil was blotted out.

Attachments

• 258D2046-FA30-4069-AFB9-4B9A0BB4DE14.jpeg
    258D2046-FA30-4069-AFB9-4B9A0BB4DE14.jpeg
    235.6 KB · Views: 187
  • 19FBC6D2-4F16-4130-A99F-CB72E32AEB40.jpeg
    19FBC6D2-4F16-4130-A99F-CB72E32AEB40.jpeg
    260.8 KB · Views: 188
I think you wasted your time and money trying to clean an engine that didn't need it.
I wasted no time as I was changing the oil anyway. As far as money, just the difference in cost between one quart of EC30 and ESP. The experiment did show some carbon can form even with a highly maintained vehicle using tier 1 synthetic oils. Same for the next oil change.
Whether this makes any difference cannot be determined from this anecdotal evidence.

I believe you discovered something that some people have yet to discover or acknowledge. Were I in your place, I'd continue with the cleaner for another round and then switch to HPL and probably extend the drain interval.

I believe you discovered something that some people have yet to discover or acknowledge. Were I in your place, I'd continue with the cleaner for another round and then switch to HPL and probably extend the drain interval.
Exactly what I am planning on doing. Whether I continue with HPL or go back to my previous routine remains to be seen. I will be running the HPL Premium Plus 0w20 for a year.

Those are usually problem free unless there is extreme neglect.
Had two cases, in both - engines had no sludge, just slight varnish. In both - VVT solenoids were sticky and threw engine codes, cars drove like they just lost 2 out of 6 cylinders. In both cases manual cleaning of the VVT solenoid with brake cleaner solved the issues. For peace of mind both received a qt of MMO for following couple oil change intervals, issues didn't return. No extreme neglect was present, both were maintained per owner's manual recommendations, according to CarFax reports.

Those are usually problem free unless there is extreme neglect.
Not so. The most common problem after valve cover and OFH gasket leaks.
Had two cases, in both - engines had no sludge, just slight varnish. In both - VVT solenoids were sticky and threw engine codes, cars drove like they just lost 2 out of 6 cylinders. In both cases manual cleaning of the VVT solenoid with brake cleaner solved the issues. For peace of mind both received a qt of MMO for following couple oil change intervals, issues didn't return. No extreme neglect was present, both were maintained per owner's manual recommendations, according to CarFax reports.
Yep Sir. It's pretty easy to do once you see they're easy to get to.

Back