Almost forgotten auto parts stores.

and Nationwise auto two long gone parts stores probably not forgotten but they haven’t been around in my lifetime
I remember Nationwise Auto had two locations in my hometown. Seemed to be my Dad's preferred place to buy parts... I can still remember their back wall (behind the parts counter) with a bunch of chromed auto parts, especially air filter (housings ? don't remember what they're called now - Edelbrock or Holley were common) as well as mesh-covered intake pieces.

What ? There's one on North St near Jameson Ave (SR 309) and one by Memorial. Did either or both of them close ? There's gotta be one near the Lima Mall area, yeah ? I don't know where the others in Lima were. Never knew there was a Carquest in Lima either.
good catch... I could have sworn the one on Bellefountaine (Near Memorial) either Closed, or closed and became an O'Reilly, but according to Google, they're both still there...
nearest to the mall AAP would have been the one @ 309 & Homeward (just west of Robb ave.) that was the first to close.
the Carquest... used to be across from the mall, east of cable, kinda across from the JD Byrider... that property was bought by the state during some road works, and there's a road there now....that carquest then moved 2-3 mi west down 309, to a building that originally was the Harley Dealer, before they moved to the other side of town.... after the Carquest/AAP merger it bacame an AAP, and then closed.

last summer it became a satellite location of Vandalia Rentals ( equipment Rental company in Vandalia, OH... main store is 1 exit north of Dayton International airport.)

so we have 2AAP (north st, and Bellfountaine ave) 2 Oreilly (Cable Rd and Bellfountaine ave) 2 AZ (Cable Rd, and Bellfountaine ave), and 2 Napa (309 [just east of Robb Ave] Bellfountaine ave) Those 4 Bellfountaine ave locations are within 3 blocks of each other....

I remember Nationwise Auto had two locations in my hometown. Seemed to be my Dad's preferred place to buy parts... I can still remember their back wall (behind the parts counter) with a bunch of chromed auto parts, especially air filter (housings ? don't remember what they're called now - Edelbrock or Holley were common) as well as mesh-covered intake pieces.

Yes I have an old Actron Timing Light that still has the original sticker from there. We call those air cleaners nowadays. I believe that’s what you are referring too. Not sure on the mesh covered intake pieces those might be the same.

Lot of changes in Lima since I lived there but I'm back maybe once a month to visit my Mom. Have to get Kewpee too... Seems like the Carquest was where Nationwise auto parts store was, then again, I think that little retail strip was demo'd and rebuilt a long time ago.

and in the Central part of the state....but man they are usually in rough areas

Yeah that one Pep Boys I know of in the Richmond area is in a rough part of town... When I worked at Winn Dixie back in the mid 90s we had a store just down the road from that Pep Boys and that store's nickname was "The Rock"..... And in the mid 90s off Laburnum Ave and 9 Mile Rd it was super bad back then.

My local Federated is great to deal with but you can tell they really don't deal with walk-in retail customers very often. They do sell high quality parts at a very reasonable price though and the Federated brand oil and air filters were made by Hastings/Donaldson/Mann depending the make/model of car you were getting them for.

When I did industrial maintenance we used to get all kinds exotic oils and greases from them. They were the only local supplier that could get almost anything made by Mobil or Shell.

Yeah this is exactly right in my opinion...

The Fisher Auto parts south of Richmond on Chamberlain Ave off 301 and Rte 1 in Bellevue I think is the small towns name is a very good store.

And like you said JRed they have parts and Batteries are very decent prices. Heck a East Penn group 24F with a 3 yr free replacement warranty is like $123.... Way, way cheaper than all the other parts stores.

I drive up there to get stuff sometimes. Worth the drive. And I don't mind driving anyway.

Lot of changes in Lima since I lived there but I'm back maybe once a month to visit my Mom. Have to get Kewpee too... Seems like the Carquest was where Nationwise auto parts store was, then again, I think that little retail strip was demo'd and rebuilt a long time ago.
here's where the carquest WAS... https://goo.gl/maps/qL8vEkah5WNEAfWAA go into street view, and find the little clock looking icon, to see past images... 2008-2009 show the already closed building, the next image is in 2014, where it's been turned into a road...

Here's where they moved to, https://goo.gl/maps/D9FCocuJMGRKnbcW7 using the same trick you can see it as a CarQuest, Rebranded to AAP, and finally an empty building before Vandalia rentals moved in.

Scherba’s. I didn’t realize Grand Auto was closed. Of course, there was Kragen. Who a lot of people called Kragens. A lot of smaller ones scattered about are gone, as well as camera stores. Every town had a camera store I think.

Back