Almost forgotten auto parts stores.

Auto Plus. They don’t have any parts online just in stores. The only way I remember them is I see them and their one location in my area on the way to my grandmas house. Also they sponsored my baseball team when I was a kid.

I would also say Federated and Fisher Auto Parts too how often is it someone recommend one of them? Never, at least not in my area. They have one location here and hardly anyone knows about it that I know anyway. And they are snooty too I walked in once to check on some parts and they laughed me out the door saying who are you kidding we don’t sell to the public.

And of course Western Auto and Nationwise auto two long gone parts stores probably not forgotten but they haven’t been around in my lifetime. I just have the stories from my dad and old tools from both of them to remember them.

Auto Plus. They don’t have any parts online just in stores. The only way I remember them is I see them and their one location in my area on the way to my grandmas house. Also they sponsored my baseball team when I was a kid.

I would also say Federated and Fisher Auto Parts too how often is it someone recommend one of them? Never, at least not in my area. They have one location here and hardly anyone knows about it that I know anyway. And they are snooty too I walked in once to check on some parts and they laughed me out the door saying who are you kidding we don’t sell to the public.

And of course Western Auto and Nationwise auto two long gone parts stores probably not forgotten but they haven’t been around in my lifetime. I just have the stories from my dad and old tools from both of them to remember them.
Wonder if this is the same auto plus that took over the commercial dept @ pep boys?

Have no idea. Never been to or seen a Pep Boys but I know about them. We don’t have any here in southern Virginia but there is some in the northern part of the state.
Auto Plus is alive and well! Yes, they merged with Pep Boys commercial. My friend's shop is a heavy Auto Plus customer.

My local Federated is great to deal with but you can tell they really don't deal with walk-in retail customers very often. They do sell high quality parts at a very reasonable price though and the Federated brand oil and air filters were made by Hastings/Donaldson/Mann depending the make/model of car you were getting them for.

When I did industrial maintenance we used to get all kinds exotic oils and greases from them. They were the only local supplier that could get almost anything made by Mobil or Shell.

There's a store still badging itself as a western auto in a town near me. Led me to read into how AAP acquired them then essentially forced their business model on them and told them they couldn't use the name if they wanted to be independent. Made me like AAP a little less..

King Auto Parts in Ho Ho Kus NJ. Lots of guys worked there part-time after school, picking and packing parts. It was great until one day when the supervisor didn't show up, and the kids went nuts stealing parts. Half of the crew got fired the very next day. Those were the days!

Sherba's Auto parts in San Bruno and San Francisco California it was a great shop with a wide selection of parts in stock. Then in Redding California and Anderson California it was Franklin Auto Parts ,They had a huge selection of parts. Walking through the store was an adventure. great selection but was bought out by NAPA auto parts boo !

Trak auto.
Chief auto.
Big A
Carquest.
Checker
schucks
Kraken.

Sure there are more.
There is a really well stocked indy store in Orangeburg SC named Jumper Auto Parts that carries a really good selection of parts. They have been there many years, have lots of knowledge behind the counter, and sell to lots of commercial accounts as well as walk in customers. They are one of the few places around that carries the VP racing fuel line.

I was sold a Carquest hub assembly at Advance Auto a few weeks ago. Hadn't seen that name in ages.
yeah, they Merged....2015? -ish....
we had 1 carquest, and 3 AAP's in town. the car quest converted to AAP, then about a year later, 3 of the now 4 aap's all closed shop.

you'd think a county with ~100k residents, and a "major" Auto/Diesel/High Performance/Motorsports College could support 4 AAP's, 2 AZ, 2 O'Reilly, 2 Napas... ( 1 each in/close to the "shopping Zones" on the east and west sides of town.)
...apparently not...

Adap
Auto Palace
Parts USA
Parts America

Most Adap's and AutoPalaces are now Autozones.
Pepboys had the "Parts ???" parts only stores for a few years. Can't remember if it was PartsUSA or PartsAmerica.

Not sure if they had multiple locations, we used to have BAP Import Parts but they go bought out by someone.

Quite a few independents closed shop around here. There was a speed shop call Vic Hubbard's Auto Supply.

Another would be Grand Auto Parts in my part of California. Really can't find too much history about it, but they got bought out by CSK and locations that didn't close became Kragen stores.

Back