All-weather tires from the makers of BITOG Favorites: General Altimax 365AW vs Cooper Discoverer Enduramax

Size 225/60-17 for SJ Forester

The Official Tires of BITOG are the General Altimax RT43 and the Cooper CS5 Ultra, but Cooper and General now make 3-peak all-season tires aka "all weather" so it's time to compare those :)

General's 3-peak all-season is the Altimax 365AW
Cooper's 3-peak all-season is the Discoverer Enduramax

Both are US-made in this size, and both carry the speed rating of H.

Cooper claims the Enduramax is tougher and more durable :unsure:

My 2 cents:

While all weather is mainly marketing the discoverer enduramax isnt marketed as an all weather tire.. rather an all season tire for crossovers that has the 3PMSF

The 3PMSF test is VERY WEAK.

The general has much more siping and is marketed as an all weather tire. I would put my money on the general for anything resembling winter conditions.

Its clearly designed to be good in winter with compromises to achieve that goal.

The cooper is more of an all season that just happened to be good enough to pass 3PMSF.

So far, so good. They've only been on the car a week, but nothing bad about them so far.

IIRC, the tires they replaced were the Hankook Kontrol. They wore evenly but were almost down to the wear bars.

So far, so good. They've only been on the car a week, but nothing bad about them so far.

IIRC, the tires they replaced were the Hankook Kontrol. They wore evenly but were almost down to the wear bars.
We went with General Tire's Grabber HTS 60 for the 2017 Honda Pilot Elite. The 20" size is Made In Germany. Other sizes are Made In USA. They've been great so far in the past two weeks of rain, very light snow, and pavement of SE Virginia. They replaced the factory Continental tires. I found out that General Tire is a subsidiary of Continental.

Maybe they changed, General & Cooper have never been favorites of mine.
I don't understand with a whole family of products one can say this. It's like saying "Frito Lay" have never been a favorite of mine when they make dozens of products. The General RT43 has proven to be a solid tire based on users here-and yes I run them. If it was based on a tire you ran 20 years ago-it's even worse as most companies try for continuous improvement.

The AltiMAX RT43 that I bought in 2020(195-65-15/91H) were $82/ea. PLUS a $50 REBATE
Now they're $106/ea. NO REBATE currently.
The AltiMAX RT43 that I bought in 2020(195-65-15/91H) were $82/ea. PLUS a $50 REBATE
Now they're $106/ea. NO REBATE currently.
The Michelin cross climate in that size is $120 at Walmart no rebate the generals are getting pricey

^^^Good catch. However, the CC are being closed out/discontinued in favor of the CC2 which don't come in that 195-65-15 size. On the TireRack the CrossClimate are $138($32 more/tire) than the RT43. But again, being discontinued with only a few sizes remaining.

The CC are not a consideration anyway as they're just tooooo loud according to reviews and are being replaced by the CC2. The CC2 are not available in that 195 size and we don't need now anyway. Car has been totaled. This is just for comparison and conversation.

However after searching, I have noticed that some Michelin tires(on the TireRack/DTC) are coming down in price while other brands are going UP^^^ o_O

Last edited:
Back