Why isn't the General Altimax RT43 3PMSF rated?

At TireRack, they do ice tests on the ice rink. I think this allows to have most of the variables to be decently controlled. Ice temperature, ambient temperature, how you polish the surface, etc.
Just snow traction, no ice.
do you know what kind of snow is used for 3PMSF cert? Would make night and day difference.

I live in San Francisco. I am not looking for a winter tire. I am looking for an All Weather 3PMSF tire or similar that has excellent snow traction. Some call this type of tire All Season with Severe Snow Service Rating.
I always wondered how those steep streets would be handled if it snowed in SF. Still rooting for the event :)

Maybe because RT43 doesn't perform as great on ice?

If we look at the TireRack's winter measurements:
and

then, among other things, one can see that RT43 needs 54 ft to stop from 12mph on ice. Whereas "all-weather" tires like Goodyear WeatherReady and Firestone WeatherGrip (both properly rated with snowflake peak), take 46 ft and 42 ft respectively.

I think snow is very tricky to test against: its properties may vary greatly depending on numerous factors, all affecting tests repeatability. Ice must be much much simpler to deal with. Wondering which exactly substance and conditions do they use for the 3PMSF certification...
From what I can find, a 3PMSF rated tire must pass ASTM F1805. I’m curious what all is in the test as well, but not $58 for a 15 page PDF curious!

From what I can find, a 3PMSF rated tire must pass ASTM F1805. I’m curious what all is in the test as well, but not $58 for a 15 page PDF curious!

Here's what Tire Rack said:

The requisite test to qualify for the 3PMSF mark is a spin test (ASTM E1136-14) that measures acceleration traction in medium-packed snow only. ....... The 3PMSF mark makes no guarantee of braking or cornering traction in snow, and there is no ice component of the test.

Hello

I have been doing a ton of reading about snow / winter performace All Season tires.

From what I have read the General Altimax RT43 has much better stopping in snow compared to tires rated with 3PMSF (Falken Wildpeak, Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S, and Cooper Discoverer Enduramax.

This begs the question why doesn't the RT43 have the 3PMSF rating?
3 Peak rating is meaningless.

The Quatrac Pro was a small step back from the leaders in all regards, and it still delivered a very solid performance. Interestingly, the Quatrac Pro is also the only tire in the test bearing the 3PMSF symbol, which further illustrates, as we have found previously, while the symbol is a guideline it is not the only indicator of light snow performance. The Primacy Tour A/S rounds out the group, but that is not to say it isn't a satisfactory tire in the snow. While outright traction is slightly less than the other three tires tested, it never felt inadequate during our drive.

Back