All those Mobil 1 types ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the best? the High Mileage, ex-life, regular mobil 1
I bought some high mileage 0-30 to put in our Highlander but I saw Mobil has a wal-mart return to sticker on the jug to recycle.
Does Mobil make this blend for wal-mart? is it diff blend than from Auto Zone? Im confused as [censored] now.

I'll be the first to say they're all different and each have applications for which they are best suited. And, no, there is no difference between that oil and the oil you get at AZ.

The 2.4, 3.0 or 3.3, or Hybrid Highlander?

The stuff at WM is the same as Autozone, and same in quart as jug. They're all pretty good.

There is no High Mileage 0w-30. Is it the "Advanced Fuel Economy" 0w-30, or "High Mileage" 10w-30?

That's probably a pretty good fit. I doubt you'll get any fuel benifit using the 0w-30 over the 5w-30 because it's summer and you live in a warm climate. By room temp they're about equal in visc and about equal above that, and unless you're driving all short trips you wouldn't save anything in any environment.

The only way you'd really see a difference in fuel economy, and even this will be jumped on by countless posters as being unproveable outside a lab, would be to switch to a xw-20. But in Phoenix I wouldn't do that.

The M1 0w-30 or 5w-30 would both be great for you. I wouldn't consider a high mileage unless you start burning oil or get some leaks/seepage.

I hope you know about the 10 dollar rebate on this!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ravenchris
Why no 0-20 in hot land?

Huh? I was at WalMart earlier today, and they had plenty of M1 0w-20. Right here in roasting hot Florida. . . BTW, the peak temp here in Pensacola yesterday: 102F.

I've run it in the Camry with no problems.

I'm sure it would be fine.

But the vehicle specs 5w-30. I understand '05's and newer were back specd to 5w-20 (not sure the year of the OP's HL), but if ever there were a time to use a xw-30 over a 20, it would probably be in Phoenix. In July. On a 3800 lb vehicle being powered by a 4 cylinder motor.

Don't get me wrong, it's been over 90 here for the last few days, and I'm running 5-20 in the Accord. But in the HL where I regularly exceed GVW and towing capacity... I'll stick to 30 and take the .5 mpg penalty.

If I remember correctly in the owners handbook it says to
use 0 weight 20 oil ...even in Arizona.
I find this hard to take that thin of oil will heat up to nothing in a very hot climate

Originally Posted By: gmh101357
If I remember correctly in the owners handbook it says to
use 0 weight 20 oil ...even in Arizona.
I find this hard to take that thin of oil will heat up to nothing in a very hot climate

w isn't weight, it's winter

If your model recommends a 20WT, then the 0W-20 or 5W-20 will work fine, even in the hot Phoenix weather. However, if your model recommends 30WT, then use either the 0W-30 or 5W-30.

How many miles on your Highlander?

After doing some reading I guess that all newer cars with very close tolerance's need a thin oil 0w 30 or 5w 30 vs 10w 40 for older car (pre 1990) and is car get old they need a thicker oil to fill in the gaps...say 125k miles on up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back