All those Mobil 1 types ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bepperb
The 2.4, 3.0 or 3.3, or Hybrid Highlander?

The stuff at WM is the same as Autozone, and same in quart as jug. They're all pretty good.

There is no High Mileage 0w-30. Is it the "Advanced Fuel Economy" 0w-30, or "High Mileage" 10w-30?

Well, to be perfectly exhaustive, there's also a 2.7L Highlander too! Right here is the US. Though I doubt if he had this engine, he's be looking at the HM formulations.

Originally Posted By: gmh101357
After doing some reading I guess that all newer cars with very close tolerance's need a thin oil 0w 30 or 5w 30 vs 10w 40 for older car (pre 1990) and is car get old they need a thicker oil to fill in the gaps...say 125k miles on up?

Respectfully, there's an error here. Cars don't have "very close tolerances". They have very close clearances. The tolerance is how much variation is permitted in the clearances.

Now as to the substance of the comment, I have to reluctantly disagree. Although the lighter oils (20s and thinner 30s) are probably better in the long run for modern engines with tight clearances, we seem to have plenty of evidence here from the syrup worshipers that that thicker oils aren't exactly conferring instant death upon the engines subjected to them.

Originally Posted By: gmh101357
So I could run a 10w 40 in a 07 2.4 Highlander and all I would lose is some gas mileage?

Unless you have a specific consumption problem, I'd run a 5w-20 or even a 0w-20.

"So I could run a 10w 40 in a 07 2.4 Highlander and all I would lose is some gas mileage?"

And perhaps more hassles if you have a warranty claim. Many people would go with a thicker oil to "handle the heat" but really, the thick oil increases friction and will cause more heat to be generated. Sure it can handle more heat, but it makes the problem worse at the same time.

Anything x-20 or x-30 would be fine.

Last edited:
There are different versions for different uses:

1. High mileage-seal issues (HM version)
2. Long OCI intervals (EP version)
3. Better Fuel Economy (AFE version)
4. Regular OCI's (Reg version)

Most people could use the regular Mobil 1 as they don't run long OCI's

Many people say they run 15-50 oil with no issues except maybe a little sluggishness in low HP vehicles. But the engine don't implode or anything.

I would think in your climate a good choice would be a 5w-30 or 0w-40.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman

1. High mileage-seal issues (HM version)extra/Boosted anti-wear additives too

Most people could use the regular Mobil 1 as they don't run long OCI's

1. High mileage-seal issues (HM version)extra/Boosted anti-wear additives too

5. Truck and SUV. Has lower pour point for whatever reason.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Although the lighter oils (20s and thinner 30s) are probably better in the long run for modern engines with tight clearances, we seem to have plenty of evidence here from the syrup worshipers that that thicker oils aren't exactly conferring instant death upon the engines subjected to them.

That's the second time you've spoken of us.
Dang, our secret cult
crazy2.gif
has been exposed!

ALL PRAISE THE SYRUP!! ALL PRAISE THE SYRUP!!
pancakes.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
All those Mobil 1 types ???

Former Coke® and Nike® marketing people managed to get positions at XOM.

Originally Posted By: Geonerd
Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Although the lighter oils (20s and thinner 30s) are probably better in the long run for modern engines with tight clearances, we seem to have plenty of evidence here from the syrup worshipers that that thicker oils aren't exactly conferring instant death upon the engines subjected to them.

That's the second time you've spoken of us.
Dang, our secret cult
crazy2.gif
has been exposed!

ALL PRAISE THE SYRUP!! ALL PRAISE THE SYRUP!!
pancakes.jpg

^^That`s what I almost had for dinner tonight
grin2.gif
Pancakes,not M1
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back